Sponsored by:

Please help! No power but battery is OK

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2018, 07:19 PM
onsickm
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Please help! No power but battery is OK

I have no power coming from battery to car. Battery is registering 12.9V so it should be good to start car but there is nothing working in the car.
Does anybody know why car is not powering up? What could be stopping power to start radio, ac, dash..etc?

Also I tried to jump start but no luck.

Last edited by onsickm; 10-03-2018 at 11:09 PM.
Old 10-03-2018, 07:37 PM
snethss
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

you'll need to charge it normally or jump it via the fuse panel. There are tutorials on how to do this with some searching.

You may have a parasitic drain or a bad alternator. Do you have something plugged into any of the car adapter outlets or ODB port?
Old 10-03-2018, 07:42 PM
onsickm
Instructor

Originally Posted by snethss
you'll need to charge it normally or jump it via the fuse panel. There are tutorials on how to do this with some searching.

You may have a parasitic drain or a bad alternator. Do you have something plugged into any of the car adapter outlets or ODB port?
As I mentioned in my original post, I tried jumping it from battery itself as well as from inside fuse box but no luck
I don't have anything plugged to drain it. I have aftermarket stereo but that has been installed long time ago and never had an issue until a month ago
Old 10-03-2018, 08:35 PM
onsickm
Instructor

Anybody know how to get key out of ignition switch?
Old 10-03-2018, 08:55 PM
Linnm
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You have to get a fully charged battery into to the fuse box by your left foot when inn the car. You will have to read your manual on how to remove the key.and open the hood,
Old 10-03-2018, 10:13 PM
onsickm
Instructor

Originally Posted by Linnm
You have to get a fully charged battery into to the fuse box by your left foot when inn the car. You will have to read your manual on how to remove the key.and open the hood,
Thanks I was able to get key out but I still have no electricity. I also brought a jump start but no luck!

Does anybody know how to diagnose this problem? Why car is not getting any power from battery?
Old 10-04-2018, 08:20 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,166 Likes on 3,930 Posts

So this sounds like a new development? Has the car been in an airbag deploying accident recently? There's a pyro fuse that blows when the airbags go off that cuts power to the engine, but the interior stuff would still work. If not, I'm betting the non-battery end of your ground cable has worked loose - it's short, just follow it from the negative terminal and inspect its condition and tightness. If not that, the battery could be completely shot, showing a surface charge of 12.9 volts but having 0 capacity, but the jump start probably would have worked, so I'm still thinking loose ground cable or loose connection at the battery terminals.

Other ideas - the immobilizer module in the key or the one in the car that communicated with the key. Does your 2nd key do the same thing?
Old 10-04-2018, 09:22 AM
onsickm
Instructor

No accidents and no air deploy but still this should light up the dashboard which it isn’t.

battery ground connection is tight so this has been ruled out. Is there battery to starter problem on 997.2 that exists on 997.1 ? But still if I have this problem, it should light up dashboard.

I only have one key so I wouldn’t be able to try with another key. My car is now parked in public parking and I am running out of ideas.

Any body seen similar problem? Please report in
Old 10-04-2018, 09:31 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I don't know what happens if you try to use the wrong key in the car. If something with the immobilizer chip or module is the problem I'm thinking it might exhibit this behavior and not send power to anything, but I think I read the center LCD display would show a message of some sort.

Have you tried physically unlocking the driver's side dour with the blade of the key. If the car sits locked for dime number of days, it takes this process to wake it back up. Maybe yours os in this sleep mode even though the door isn't locked.
Old 10-04-2018, 09:52 AM
onsickm
Instructor

Originally Posted by Petza914
I don't know what happens if you try to use the wrong key in the car. If something with the immobilizer chip or module is the problem I'm thinking it might exhibit this behavior and not send power to anything, but I think I read the center LCD display would show a message of some sort.

Have you tried physically unlocking the driver's side dour with the blade of the key. If the car sits locked for dime number of days, it takes this process to wake it back up. Maybe yours os in this sleep mode even though the door isn't locked.
yes I can lock and unlock the car with key blade. However, using remote key to lock/unlock car doesn’t do anything

I am thinking now to just tow car to home or indy shop for extre diadnosis. But I dont know how I can put car in neutral (I have pdk) to roll the car
Old 10-04-2018, 09:57 AM
NuttyProfessor
Three Wheelin'

Received 218 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by onsickm
No accidents and no air deploy but still this should light up the dashboard which it isn’t.

battery ground connection is tight so this has been ruled out. Is there battery to starter problem on 997.2 that exists on 997.1 ? But still if I have this problem, it should light up dashboard.

I only have one key so I wouldn’t be able to try with another key. My car is now parked in public parking and I am running out of ideas.

Any body seen similar problem? Please report in
If you've properly tested the battery with correct load, then you should next check any fuses that could have been blown because of a short. Also, be mindful that there are many linkages between the battery and starter/alternator and ignition relay system. You must try to find the culprit that is causing the loss of 12V DC connection. I always start with the obvious (e.g. blown fuse), then work towards the more invasive possibilities. I would spend a couple of hours attempting to remedy the problem. After that, I'd have it towed.

Oh, and once you get it working. Go first thing to Porsche and have a secondary keyfob made. Lots of horror stories surrounding losing the only key.
Old 10-04-2018, 10:01 AM
onsickm
Instructor

Originally Posted by NuttyProfessor
If you've properly tested the battery with correct load, then you should next check any fuses that could have been blown because of a short. Also, be mindful that there are many linkages between the battery and starter/alternator and ignition relay system. You must try to find the culprit that is causing the loss of 12V DC connection. I always start with the obvious (e.g. blown fuse), then work towards the more invasive possibilities. I would spend a couple of hours attempting to remedy the problem. After that, I'd have it towed.

Oh, and once you get it working. Go first thing to Porsche and have a secondary keyfob made. Lots of horror stories surrounding losing the only key.
How do I test battery with load. I have used 1000A rated jump starter but it is not even lightning anything up so battery is not the problem. Unless jump starting doesn’t work on our cars?!
Old 10-04-2018, 03:07 PM
CAVU
Rennlist Member

Received 353 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by onsickm
I have no power coming from battery to car. Battery is registering 12.9V so it should be good to start car but there is nothing working in the car.
Does anybody know why car is not powering up? What could be stopping power to start radio, ac, dash..etc?

Also I tried to jump start but no luck.
What is the year and model for this 911? There are a number of different electrical issues over several different years and variants.

Old 10-04-2018, 03:12 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I think your battery is toast. How are you measuring the 12.9 volts - simply with a voltmeter across the battery terminals? That will give you a surface charge voltage but as soon as the battery gets a load, it's probably registering as dead. You stand in the frunk with your voltmeter measuring the battery voltage and have someone else try to start the car by turning the key and then see what the actual under load battery voltage is. Also, if the current battery is internally shorted, trying to jump start the car by hooking up a 2nd battery with the first one still connected may not work either. If you know the jump start battery is good, disconnect the one currently installed in the car and remove it. Then hook up the jumper cables between the other battery and the car's cables and see what happens. Bet it responds differently.
Old 10-04-2018, 03:47 PM
JWILLI
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

From the 996 world, the symptoms of a sticky key and no power with a full battery would point to a faulty ignition switch.

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-turb...r-and-diy.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...-not-dead.html

Quick Reply: Please help! No power but battery is OK