Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anything to do before CPO warranty ends?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2018, 01:46 PM
vanwinkl
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Anything to do before CPO warranty ends?

My '09 C2S (49k miles) has another month of CPO warranty left. Everything runs perfectly and there are no drips or mystery noises anywhere. At the last oil change, I asked the dealer to do a quick once over go see if everything was in order, but now I'm thinking I might pay for a PPI to really do a deep dive. I'm probably being a bit irrational, but my fear is that something lets loose the day after the warranty runs out.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.
Seth
Old 10-01-2018, 03:34 PM
php
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

exactly as you said. Pay for an inspection from an independent shop before warranty runs out. I did that with mine. Nothing came up, but at least I felt better.
Old 10-01-2018, 04:01 PM
jamesinger
Three Wheelin'

Received 740 Likes on 423 Posts

I wish I would have thought to do what you are thinking above before the warranty ran out on my Avant because Rusnak in Pasadena did this shady thing where they gave the car a clean bill of health a couple months before the CPO ran out in an annual service but something broke a couple months later... However, when I went back, the service advisor said my CPO was a week out. It's a different topic but after some back and forth with managers and etc., I just decided to never go to Rusnak again, which is their bad IMO because I have bought another Audi and a Porsche since and I service all my cars regularly. In any case, (back on topic) I had 3 over $1k issues with my yearly services consecutively after the CPO ran out including the one a week out that Rusnak would not cover even though I made the appointment within the CPO timeframe. I never thought to do an indie PPI but it would have probably saved me at least a grand in the end. I would 100% spend the $350 or so to do a PPI for pierce of mind. I think that is a great idea.
Old 10-01-2018, 10:00 PM
captainbaker
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Check coolant tank for cracks. It might not be leaking today, but it will.
Old 10-01-2018, 10:06 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

not sure why a dealer wouldn't do the inspection on their dime, they get paid for warranty work. I just did this with wife's bmw, they found 1 minor issue but that's it. they'll be happy to give it a thorough once-over in a couple months before the warranty expires. I've done same w Porsches.
Old 10-02-2018, 01:59 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,008 Likes on 716 Posts

Originally Posted by vanwinkl
My '09 C2S (49k miles) has another month of CPO warranty left. Everything runs perfectly and there are no drips or mystery noises anywhere. At the last oil change, I asked the dealer to do a quick once over go see if everything was in order, but now I'm thinking I might pay for a PPI to really do a deep dive. I'm probably being a bit irrational, but my fear is that something lets loose the day after the warranty runs out.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.
Seth

I'm not sure how much value there is to such an inspection no matter who does it. If you're lucky they may find a leaking water pump or something else that's leaking but other than that, just about anything else on the car can as you say let loose the next day no matter how sound it looked on the outside the previous day. If you're that fearful of anything coming apart once out of warranty then maybe you should consider an after market warranty. That's definitely something that should be done before the CPO expires. The price of those warranties increase quiet a bit for cars with no current warranty.

Quick Reply: Anything to do before CPO warranty ends?