Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How have you handled your wife regarding Porsche costs??

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2018, 09:53 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,428 Likes on 2,701 Posts
Default How have you handled your wife regarding Porsche costs??

All,
Of my 35 years of buying/playing/servicing/selling my Porsche's I had 10 glorious years not having to hear any moaning or whining about my P-car purchase or any related expenses.
After marriage and during the first 10 years of what I will refer to as the "Honeymoon Porsche Years", my wife didn't have a care in the world what I spent on my cars and never asked.

FF to 15 years ago she started asking me how much is this/how much is that - Of course I used my general rule, everything is 35% less than the actual cost.
She was still at arms length not really caring about the costs just "checking in" now and again for the next 12-13 years.

Then 2 years ago my wife starts menopause - Holy crap - Fireworks started over every little expense.
I had to start showing her receipts/etc and my 35% rule went out the door.

She still "allows" me to play with my cars and boats but the hammer is down. No wiggle room at all

I miss the old days - Fun while it lasted

I guess I can look forward to dementia - When either one of us get it, the fun will begin again
Old 09-22-2018, 10:15 PM
Meursault88
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am grooming my wife for my Turbo or Turbo S purchase by showing her the Doug Demuro GT video. She really freaked out when I told her I was considering a $240k car. She will be so relieved when I only spend half that.

She's got a little on her high horse because Doug pointed out he had no other vices and she started naming off - clothes, wine, cameras, guns, travel...
Old 09-22-2018, 10:26 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,428 Likes on 2,701 Posts

Smart move - Start high then work it lower. Throwing in some disappointed sounds and expressions will sure be of help too
Got to work it
Old 09-22-2018, 10:27 PM
tomc_mets
Sir Thomas Lord of All Mets Fans
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

I have no other expensive hobbies save spoiling the carp out of our dog. We hardly eat out, have curtailed travel, etc. I think that and the fact that she knows it's something I enjoy, keeps griping nonexistent.
T
Old 09-22-2018, 10:53 PM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

Started out setting the expectation. Couple years back.. bought the 911 in March, got married in April. She knows the deal about the car. Its the only money I spend on myself, and its not up for discussion. At all. There were some other things that got the expectation set from the beginning as well. I think it's working out just fine. Time will tell!
Old 09-22-2018, 11:01 PM
caitov
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by tomc_mets
I have no other expensive hobbies save spoiling the carp out of our dog. We hardly eat out, have curtailed travel, etc. I think that and the fact that she knows it's something I enjoy, keeps griping nonexistent.
T
Same here. My wife has always allowed me to do what I want in terms of cars as she knows how much it means to me.
My only issue right now is the Ivy League tuition we're paying for... That's my new GT3.

Old 09-22-2018, 11:20 PM
swingwing
Pro

Received 93 Likes on 70 Posts

It’s very simple: Women buy houses, Men buy cars.

Trending Topics

Old 09-22-2018, 11:45 PM
quickxotica
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 80 Posts

There’s a simple 3-step solution:
1. Invent time machine
2. Go back to when you first started dating your wife
3. On 2nd date, take her to a track event & show her how to burn $2k in tires, brakes and gas in 2 days for nothing but catharsis.

Done.

Old 09-23-2018, 01:20 AM
Racetwin2
Three Wheelin'

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

I sold my motorcycle after some years and she could see I was missing something. She actually pushed to buy the exact car (997 cabrio) we have now. We bought it 500 km from home and took a road trip home a sunny August day. She was driving it also to the max and afterwards she said: "NOW I understand what you mean with sports car".

Nowadays she is asking from time to time but as the car has increased in value since I bought it there is really no big discussion.

Also - she has her own project which is way more expensive. We bought a plot in a coastal fishing village and are now building a summer house there. Her project from start to end and it's so much more than the car so that pretty much kills the discussion
Old 09-23-2018, 01:59 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,008 Likes on 716 Posts

Originally Posted by tomc_mets
T
Very similar to my arrangement except we don't have a dog. I play golf at public or semi private courses instead of spending a small fortune on membership at the CC we live in. I don't really like the course so I get credit for a sacrifice that to me is not a sacrifice at all. I think most importantly though aside from keeping lifestyle costs in general within reason is the fact that my wife recognizes that cars are much more than a means of transportation to me. She knows it's a hobby that makes me happy and she wants me happy so it's not an issue as long as it doesn't get out of hand. I actually got encouragement from her on my last trade. "If it's what you want, if you think it's a good deal and if it will make you happy....go for it".
Old 09-23-2018, 02:21 AM
boisenelson
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 131 Posts

Got rid of the wife, now I have 3 Porsches and a lot more money in the bank
Old 09-23-2018, 02:47 AM
agent325
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by groovzilla
All,
Of my 35 years of buying/playing/servicing/selling my Porsche's I had 10 glorious years not having to hear any moaning or whining about my P-car purchase or any related expenses.
After marriage and during the first 10 years of what I will refer to as the "Honeymoon Porsche Years", my wife didn't have a care in the world what I spent on my cars and never asked.

FF to 15 years ago she started asking me how much is this/how much is that - Of course I used my general rule, everything is 35% less than the actual cost.
She was still at arms length not really caring about the costs just "checking in" now and again for the next 12-13 years.

Then 2 years ago my wife starts menopause - Holy crap - Fireworks started over every little expense.
I had to start showing her receipts/etc and my 35% rule went out the door.

She still "allows" me to play with my cars and boats but the hammer is down. No wiggle room at all

I miss the old days - Fun while it lasted

I guess I can look forward to dementia - When either one of us get it, the fun will begin again

Your last line is probably the funniest thing I’ve read on Rennlist!
Old 09-23-2018, 03:27 AM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,152 Likes on 731 Posts

I married well, or lucky. Pam doesn't gripe when it comes to cars (my only vice besides tools). In fact, car related, after I rebuilt the garage I suggested I'd hold off on the lift. Pam insisted that the garage rebuild was to accommodate the lift and I'd be a fool if I waited. Now she's pushing me to improve the lighting. Yeah, married well 8)
Old 09-23-2018, 03:55 AM
tomc_mets
Sir Thomas Lord of All Mets Fans
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by caitov
Same here. My wife has always allowed me to do what I want in terms of cars as she knows how much it means to me.
My only issue right now is the Ivy League tuition we're paying for... That's my new GT3.

Someone's Ivy League grad owes pop a fancy car when they're a huge a$$ success!

I point out that for years we were savers not spenders given up upbringings. We paid off the mortgage, the DDs, all the debt we could, funded investment & retirement accounts, etc. So, we're blessed to be in a good place financially, and the fun cars were a conscious decision to enjoy life more now and worry a little less about the future.

It also helps that our one child needs not go to college, have a big fancy wedding, down payment on a starter house, etc. So that's a lot of $$$ freed up to spend on cars!

My two most expensive hobbies pictured below!

T
Attached Images   
Old 09-23-2018, 04:42 AM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 109 Posts

I didn't tell my partner I was buying one, just turned up one day and text to ask her to come help with the groceries

5 years later she caught me updating my servicing and mods spreadsheet, asked "how much?!?!", then if we could watch a movie that evening.

In then end I'm spending money I earned.

Quick Reply: How have you handled your wife regarding Porsche costs??