Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer Programming

Old 09-09-2018, 04:40 PM
doclouie
Three Wheelin'

Received 188 Likes on 124 Posts
Default Dealer Programming

So I have an appointment in a couple of weeks at a dealer 2:30 hours away (one way) to turn on my multifunction steering wheel that I recently installed in my 997.2. Closest dealer is 2:15, but they don’t know how to turn on the multifunction steering wheel. It is a 5 minute job, yet will cost me an hour of time or $190.

I am debating installing the voice command module as my car has Bluetooth and Navigation. Anything else people love?

So what else should I have them turn on or possibly off?
Old 09-09-2018, 07:57 PM
dgjks6
Drifting

Received 243 Likes on 159 Posts

Let me know how it goes. Those are the two things I want to ad to my car
Old 09-09-2018, 08:07 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,409 Likes on 854 Posts

2009 C2s

Pretty much nothing. The only thing I know of is the "comfort windows".... where you hold down your unlock button on your key and the windows will drop. I know they can do it because I did it with my Durametric. Porsche apparently tweaked the computer with the 997.2 and disallows a bunch of stuff you could do with a 997.1 If the dealer tells you some cool stuff to do, let us know.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 09-09-2018, 09:26 PM
doclouie
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
2009 C2s

Pretty much nothing. The only thing I know of is the "comfort windows".... where you hold down your unlock button on your key and the windows will drop. I know they can do it because I did it with my Durametric. Porsche apparently tweaked the computer with the 997.2 and disallows a bunch of stuff you could do with a 997.1 If the dealer tells you some cool stuff to do, let us know.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Oh thanks Bruce. I forgot about that one. Maybe there is something that can make the passenger side window be a one touch close rather than holding the button half way up.

I just looked and the voice control commands are super archaic. I don’t think I will install that option.
Old 09-14-2018, 08:24 PM
doclouie
Three Wheelin'

Grrrrr. Very frustrated. I have now been speaking with 3 Porsche dealers in Houston with no good answers even when I have pointed them to dealers elsewhere in the country that have done this work. All they say is bringnit in and for $200 an hour we will try and figure it out, but we can’t promise anything. Anyone have a PIWIS?
Old 09-15-2018, 09:18 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by doclouie
Grrrrr. Very frustrated. I have now been speaking with 3 Porsche dealers in Houston with no good answers even when I have pointed them to dealers elsewhere in the country that have done this work. All they say is bringnit in and for $200 an hour we will try and figure it out, but we can’t promise anything. Anyone have a PIWIS?
I am not surprised at this. Apparently, Porsche does not train techs to use the software in this detail. When I purchased my car, I went to the dealership and asked them to code for auto door locking. The tech plugged in the computer... found and set the bit... tested once... yep... done. I drove home and it stopped working ?????... went back to the dealer and when they set it, it only works once and then reverts back to no auto locking. WTF? Tech was stumped... I watched the bit flip on the screen with the tech... really weird. So he told me he would do some research and I left. Well... I found out that auto door locking is a feature ONLY if you have Sport Chrono. If you have SC, you don't need the tech to flip the bit as you will have new menu items that appear in the PCM screen. I called the dealer and the service rep ... well he couldn't care less. This issue is a low low volume item with few if any folks (other than me) were asking for.

I think Porsche is trying to "protect" their option set. Back in 2000 when I purchased my Boxster S new, an option was the "computer" that would show the outside temp and few other items. Well the computer was already in the car, just these features turned off.... so given the 'net, we all knew about it so you would just ask the dealer to turn it on. They did it and for free back the. Free option. I don't think Porsche liked this.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 09-15-2018, 11:53 AM
doclouie
Three Wheelin'

Bruce does your 2009 have a multifunction steering wheel and Sports Chrono? I wonder if you must have Sports Chrono to have a multifunction wheel on a 997.2?
Old 09-15-2018, 01:57 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I have the multi function wheel, no sport chrono , and MT
peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 09-15-2018, 02:42 PM
doclouie
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
I have the multi function wheel, no sport chrono , and MT
peace
Bruce in Philly
Thanks. One less excuse for them to have. LOL.
Old 09-15-2018, 08:51 PM
karl1672
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you tried a good indy? Maybe they have some insight. Tend to be more "aware" of stuff than my local dealers.
Old 09-15-2018, 09:06 PM
doclouie
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by karl1672
Have you tried a good indy? Maybe they have some insight. Tend to be more "aware" of stuff than my local dealers.
I have contacted an Indy through my local PCA club who is super helpful, but the problem there is backdated programming. Not sure any Indy has access to that. I figured out how to do the comfort Windows with just a durametric pro version. I have an appointment on Friday so hopefully something will happen there.
Old 09-21-2018, 11:46 PM
doclouie
Three Wheelin'

Well Porsche of North Houston came through today and programmed the multifunction steering wheel. I believe it took them longer to wash it than program it. Basically they said they would try, but didn’t make any promises. They said if it didn’t work they wouldn’t charge me so that was more than fair and it worked. $200 but I am glad to pay it. I then met the owner of the Indy who was so helpful and he programmed the Comfort Windows and gave me an over rev report. He said I didn’t owe him anything, but I gave him some money anyways. Oh yea the helpful Indy in Houston was the owner of Modern Aircooled, great guy. Definitely check him out if you are in the area and need some work done on your Porsche.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dealer Programming