Sponsored by:

60K service and selling question

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2018, 02:37 PM
shekmark
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 60K service and selling question

I am thinking of selling my 2010 cabriolet and moving to a coupe. I have 55K miles on it and 13 months left on CPO. I am thinking this is a good time to do this. My question is, should I get the 60K service done now before listing or list as is? All other service is up to date. Opinions? Thanks!
Old 09-19-2018, 03:13 PM
8Lug
Burning Brakes

Received 819 Likes on 386 Posts

Originally Posted by shekmark
I am thinking of selling my 2010 cabriolet and moving to a coupe. I have 55K miles on it and 13 months left on CPO. I am thinking this is a good time to do this. My question is, should I get the 60K service done now before listing or list as is? All other service is up to date. Opinions? Thanks!
Doubtful you wold recoup the cost of the service in the sale price. Better to price the car more aggressively as is. If it was past due, I would say do it. But you're 5k miles away and that might be a year or two of driving for some Porsche owners so they may not view this as an immediate expense which they need to factor into the price.
Old 09-19-2018, 03:44 PM
Skwerl
Drifting

Received 303 Likes on 185 Posts

You probably wouldn't recoup the cost, but I'd think the service will help sell it easier and you won't get tire kickers trying to haggle you down because "gonna need that service soon...". Or, just price it aggressively, as mentioned.
Old 09-19-2018, 04:27 PM
cosm3os
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 56 Posts

My recollection is that 60k is belt and oil change. You can do those in your driveway in an hour. For about a hundred bucks.
Old 09-19-2018, 05:30 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,410 Likes on 855 Posts

I would not do it. I doubt it will help the sale and I never trusted what was done prior.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 09-19-2018, 09:51 PM
Jeremy Hazeltine
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 58 Posts

What is in a 60k service? Anything major?
Old 09-19-2018, 10:29 PM
Dartmouth
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 65 Posts

Sell it as is. You won't get the money back when you sell it and honestly, do you want to put another $600 out of your pocket while waiting for a buyer? Price it the money you want for your car sans the tune up. Unless you pass the 60,000 miles and the service light comes on. Then you really need to do it before selling it. I wouldn't want to buy a car with a service light on.
Old 09-19-2018, 11:09 PM
ManoTexas
Three Wheelin'

Received 682 Likes on 409 Posts

If time based, plugs. Brake fluid if not done last year.
Old 09-20-2018, 02:56 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,006 Likes on 714 Posts

Looks like I'm in the minority here since I would get it done. It's not an expensive service so just add the actual cost + a bit more for the mandatory haggling and just give up less since there's nothing to haggle about unless you price it out of line to begin with or there are issues not mentioned here. My reasoning (FWIW) is based on psychology, impression, piece of mind and convenience. With the 60K mile service done a bit early along with all other service records you have you not only tell the buyer that you're almost **** about keeping up with required service but you're also selling a car that the buyer won't have a thing to be concerned about for more than a year since it's also CPO'd for another 13 months.

If you leave the imminent 60K service to your buyer, he/she will without a doubt wonder first of all how much it will cost. Since there's no way of knowing what they will find while doing that service there's no good answer to that question so where will that discussion go regarding the sales price? As for convenience, smaller issue perhaps but for busy people, taking the car to dealer, arranging for a loaner (if even offered) and then again, not knowing what the final tab will be is a hassle most would rather not deal with. So easy decision for me unless I'd choose to go down the road of hoping to find a buyer who's not aware that there's such a thing as a 60K service. Not an option for me.
Old 09-20-2018, 08:25 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,139 Likes on 3,912 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge
Looks like I'm in the minority here since I would get it done. It's not an expensive service so just add the actual cost + a bit more for the mandatory haggling and just give up less since there's nothing to haggle about unless you price it out of line to begin with or there are issues not mentioned here. My reasoning (FWIW) is based on psychology, impression, piece of mind and convenience. With the 60K mile service done a bit early along with all other service records you have you not only tell the buyer that you're almost **** about keeping up with required service but you're also selling a car that the buyer won't have a thing to be concerned about for more than a year since it's also CPO'd for another 13 months.

If you leave the imminent 60K service to your buyer, he/she will without a doubt wonder first of all how much it will cost. Since there's no way of knowing what they will find while doing that service there's no good answer to that question so where will that discussion go regarding the sales price? As for convenience, smaller issue perhaps but for busy people, taking the car to dealer, arranging for a loaner (if even offered) and then again, not knowing what the final tab will be is a hassle most would rather not deal with. So easy decision for me unless I'd choose to go down the road of hoping to find a buyer who's not aware that there's such a thing as a 60K service. Not an option for me.
I like this reasoning.
Old 09-20-2018, 08:28 AM
shekmark
Pro

I think I am with Sandwedge on this one. I can certainly see both sides but I like his reasoning . If it's under a grand at the dealer I am not too concerned. Can't do this stuff myself. Thank you for all your opinions.
Old 09-21-2018, 09:12 AM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 90 Posts

I think I am with Sandwedge on this one. I can certainly see both sides but I like his reasoning . If it's under a grand at the dealer I am not too concerned. Can't do this stuff myself. Thank you for all your opinions.
Agree with getting the service done. Which dealer are you considering? Maybe Bodymotion as an alternative?.
Old 09-21-2018, 09:32 AM
shekmark
Pro

I like Bodymotion. They did my clutch replace. I am doing dealer this time in case they see any warranty work that can be done.
Old 09-22-2018, 02:22 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,006 Likes on 714 Posts

As I see it, it's just a choice of negotiating from a position of strength or weakness. By not doing the service you're injecting a lot of questions and uncertainty into the deal and you'll be on the defensive with a bunch of questions that can't be answered. All said, everyone knows which of these two positions maximizes the proceeds from the sale no matter what you're selling. As for the cost of the service, your number sounds about right. I just had mine done and it was higher but I have a PDK which almost doubles the cost.
Old 09-22-2018, 03:27 AM
Balr14
Burning Brakes

Received 166 Likes on 112 Posts

I had the 60K service done at 53K and I will probably sell my car well before it hits 60K. I also had a new custom tune done to go with the FabSpeed intake and exhaust and the AOS replaced even though it didn't need it. I'm sure none of this will add a nickel to the resale value. But, when somebody asks I can tell them it's in super shape.

Quick Reply: 60K service and selling question