Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lift decided

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2018, 10:39 PM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Received 445 Likes on 305 Posts

Why a two post lift? Did you consider a single post lift where no drilling of the concrete floor is necessary?
Old 09-08-2018, 11:28 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by linderpat
Love the lift and the garage. Great tool box set up too.
Noticing the stress cracks in the floor though. How thick is the pad under each post, and does the floor have rebar in it?
Good observations. 6 inches thick on the left, 5 on the right. Meets BendPak's criteria for 7000 pound vehicles, but the F250 won't fit into the garage, so a half load is the most it will see. Nonetheless, I've lived in a safety oriented profession for 40 years ... that's why I blocked the top to the flat roof joists. There's a lot of leverage up there.

The floor was poured in 1970 when the house was built. It's been through a few earthquakes, including Loma Prieta. There isn't much 50 year old cement around here without cracks.

You don't want to see the driveway ... jack hammering that out and laying down rebar in preparation for a cement truck that won't fit under the cul-de-sac oak tree is a soon to be project. Yeah ... pumped.
Attached Images   
Old 09-08-2018, 11:59 PM
911-997
Burning Brakes

Received 84 Likes on 67 Posts

I am jealous!
Old 09-09-2018, 01:49 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 385 Likes on 268 Posts

Excellent work! Stunning that Wayne is actually helping BendPak to fix some design issues and make a better product.
Old 09-09-2018, 02:46 AM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ADias
Excellent work! Stunning that Wayne is actually helping BendPak to fix some design issues and make a better product.
Their engineering and customer support departments have been very nice asking for, accepting, and passing along suggestions.

In my experience this is how a good company grows and improves. It's nice finding a company that cares this way. So of course they have my participation.

At the risk of sounding pompous ...

Having written over ten thousand pages of Technical Manuals and Engineering Documentation, I will be interested in what their next revision looks like.

I'll also be interested in seeing how the product evolves.

Nothing is perfect ... ever. But we strive.
Old 09-09-2018, 02:54 AM
Raven 666
Drifting

Received 90 Likes on 53 Posts

I also have a 2 poster best tool in my home workshop

Old 09-09-2018, 09:50 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,172 Likes on 3,936 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
Actually, not that stunning if you've been keeping up with Wayne's posts over the last few years. Good job Wayne - you should've negotiated for them to give you the lift for your documentation and design consulting services.

Looks great. Enjoy those car projects now.
Old 09-09-2018, 11:24 AM
david
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
Actually, not that stunning if you've been keeping up with Wayne's posts over the last few years. Good job Wayne - you should've negotiated for them to give you the lift for your documentation and design consulting services.

Looks great. Enjoy those car projects now.
+997!

PS Besides Wayne's valuable contributions to our broad-based virtual world on RR, Wayne's assistance & knowledge are even more special to us that live on the 38th parallel on this edge of the NA continent!!!
Old 09-09-2018, 11:38 AM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Raven 666
I also have a 2 poster best tool in my home workshop

That is an incredible floor!!! Well done 8)
Old 09-10-2018, 02:09 AM
Raven 666
Drifting

It is just tinted clear concrete sealer the tint was called onyx eg a dark charcoal ,,,they put 1 liter of tint to 14 liters of clear and you apply it with a brush and roller ...

Old 09-10-2018, 10:58 AM
Dennis_NL
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice set-up! Do you consider the 2 post lift to be a valid option for longer term storage of the car or just to work on the car?
Currently considering the options where I plan on leaving the car lifted for the winter period and park an second car underneath.
Can imagine leaving all fours hanging on the suspension for several months might not be ideal for the bushings, springs and shocks and thus a 4 post lift might be a better option?
Old 09-10-2018, 11:06 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,172 Likes on 3,936 Posts

Originally Posted by Dennis_NL
Can imagine leaving all fours hanging on the suspension for several months might not be ideal for the bushings, springs and shocks and thus a 4 post lift might be a better option?
Correct, not the best idea for the reasons you mention. For storage in addition to automotive work, the 4-post lift with bridge jacks is the better option. If you don't need to stack them but want to keep the tires from flat-spotting, then either a set of wheel stands (https://928motorsports.com/parts/wheel_hub_stands.php) or Tire Savers.

Old 09-10-2018, 11:11 AM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Nice set-up! Do you consider the 2 post lift to be a valid option for longer term storage of the car or just to work on the car?
Currently considering the options where I plan on leaving the car lifted for the winter period and park an second car underneath.
You are correct about not wanting to hang the suspension long term. A two post is not a storage lift. Use a four post for that.

If you opt for a four post and you want to get the wheels up to work on the car you will need a bridge jack per axle. Each bridge jack will cost more that the two post lift did. Depending upon your garage you may want a caster set as well.

Costs add up. By the time I sourced a properly accessorized four post with appropriate testing and approvals I was at $9K installed.

I'm looking at using the lift for working only. With a nine foot ceiling I don't have the required height to park anything underneath.

I have been raising the arms when not in use so they aren't in the way on the floor, but they are potential head bangers.

Good luck with your decision.
Old 09-10-2018, 04:04 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 143 Likes on 112 Posts

Wayne - "Almost done", that funny.
Next sentence, just have to ...
You're never done, always improving.
Heat? Just adding air conditioning, painting floor, TV, internet, surround sound, ceiling fan,
beer fridge, security, new lighting, floor lighting......
Let the whileyouratititis begin.
Old 09-10-2018, 06:39 PM
Raven 666
Drifting

I think for a storage option the 4 post seems to be the most popular ,it offers the best of both worlds eg as work hoist and storage ...

Quick Reply: Lift decided