Sponsored by:

Brakes without cushioning pads

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2018, 10:32 PM
HenryPcar
Three Wheelin'

Received 233 Likes on 168 Posts
Default Brakes without cushioning pads

While I like my 997 braking action, I always find it a bit lacking in the modulation area. The brakes are quite good, but a bit isolated. With my driving shoes, thin sole, I like a bit of feel on the pedal for modulation and I just don't get it on the 997. Either it stops on a dime when I just slam the brakes, or there weren't any bites with moderate braking. At first I thought it was the pads, I changed it to ceramic ones and they are the same.
Today, I started an experiment and was pleasantly surprised that I got the modulation back. It was a joy to even brake late knowing exactly how the brakes will react with modulation. This is what I did, I removed the pads, and the calipers and pulled the antii-vibration pads and just use the brake pads without them. At first I thought it might give me a earful of screeching, but there was none. The braking action was night and day and the feel on the pedal is superbly direct. Down the road, the noise and screeching might happen, but so far I'm delighted and now is extremely happy with the braking action.

I posted this finding here and wonder if other have done the same, or whether their brakes gives you a earful of screeches afterwards.
Old 09-02-2018, 11:33 PM
cosm3os
Burning Brakes

Received 96 Likes on 58 Posts

It's in your head. The problem is the pad compound.
Old 09-03-2018, 12:17 AM
HenryPcar
Three Wheelin'

Received 233 Likes on 168 Posts

Its not in my head and least of all you haven't experience it. By the way my head is fine. Its those that don;t use their head are the ones normally getting into trouble.
Old 09-03-2018, 09:46 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,552 Likes on 4,167 Posts

Never had a problem with modulation of the 997 brakes, neither the PCCB on my car nor the ones on my wife's with Eva rotors and Hawk Ceramic pads.

You'll also be in for an earful of squealing as those pads wear a little and start oscillating against the caliper piston.
Old 09-03-2018, 10:40 AM
linderpat
Rennlist Member

Received 2,383 Likes on 1,292 Posts

I run my track pads (Pagid 29's) without the dampners, and I don't feel any differences in modulation when I have them in. I do hear it though. First day or two, no squeal, then after that, pretty bad. I always look forward to popping them out and putting my street pads back in after track weekend.

Quick Reply: Brakes without cushioning pads