Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997 How do I get it on four jack stands?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2018, 12:19 PM
Darkhorse
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 42 Posts
Default 997 How do I get it on four jack stands?

I need to get and keep all four corners off the ground for a couple of weeks while the wheels are off being powder-coated.

How do you get a 997 up on four jack stands, what kind of stands do you use, and where do you place the stands?

Thanks!
Old 08-19-2018, 12:44 PM
NuttyProfessor
Three Wheelin'

Received 218 Likes on 162 Posts

The way I do it is I have two spare wheels like the one that comes with the car. As you know, the 911 has such a stiff body that if you jack it up on a level surface from the rear jack point, both tires will lift off the ground. I remove both wheels and put a jack stand on the front and spare on the back since that's where you jacked it up. Problem solved!
Old 08-19-2018, 12:50 PM
swingwing
Pro

Received 93 Likes on 70 Posts

Take a look at Jackpoint jackstands. I was going to buy some when I got my car but they were out of stock then. I decided to go with a QuickJack instead and am happy with it, though it’s a more expensive choice than stands. You’ll find some videos on YouTube for jacking advice.

Last edited by swingwing; 08-19-2018 at 12:57 PM. Reason: Changed wording.
Old 08-19-2018, 12:52 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,157 Likes on 736 Posts

Search for this (no search function on my phone) or someone can supply a link. I believe it is in the stickies (another function not on the phone app).

Make sure you have soft top stands. You never want to rest metal on metal. It is slippery if you do and things can slide and fall.
Old 08-19-2018, 12:57 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,431 Likes on 868 Posts

Check Lift Bars too.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...got-a-set.html

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 08-19-2018, 02:25 PM
linderpat
Rennlist Member

Received 2,260 Likes on 1,260 Posts

yes, lift bars are the way to go. I have them for my 928 and my 911. They work on Boxster/Caymans too. Cheaper than a lift, and very safe. Gets the car pretty high too.
Old 08-19-2018, 02:41 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by Darkhorse
I need to get and keep all four corners off the ground for a couple of weeks while the wheels are off being powder-coated.

How do you get a 997 up on four jack stands, what kind of stands do you use, and where do you place the stands?

Thanks!
This is what I do. I always start though by putting 2x8’s under all four tires. Helps a lot.
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...-securely.html
Old 08-19-2018, 04:02 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Received 2,021 Likes on 1,269 Posts

Just watched a few QuickJack vids.... interesting.
Old 08-20-2018, 01:12 AM
wjk_glynn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 497 Likes on 318 Posts

Ditto on the Liftbars - http://liftbars.com/

Karl.
Old 08-20-2018, 09:27 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,203 Likes on 3,957 Posts

Originally Posted by wjk_glynn
Ditto on the Liftbars - http://liftbars.com/

Karl.
The time lapse liftbar video is neat except for the part at the end where the force of the car coming down onto the jack stand causes its position at the base to shift and slide.

Jackpoint jackstands are the way to go, though the lifting height is a little limited. You can stack multiple top pieces together for some extra height. They come with a metal pin and rubber pad to prevent metal to metal contact and any chance of the car slipping off and also work well with the Rennline jackpad adapter, a rubber hockey-puck jackpad adapter, or the Delrin adapters made and sold by another member here. Most of my work gets done on my 4 post Backyard Buddy lift, but when I need jack stands, I'm glad to have the Jackpoints.

Rennline pad fits perfectly into the top plate recess

Metal pin fits securely into hole and car sits on rubber pad

Adapter for pinch weld cars. Underside customized with a hole to support rear Cayenne mount

Delrin pad version

I also have Esco stands for when I need additional height, but they don't allow jacking and supporting from the same jacking point. All of them come in handy at various times or sometimes all at the same time.

Looks like you have pretty good timing too as there is a set of 4 just like mine for sale in the 6speedonline marketplace - https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...sh-2-sets.html (no affiliation to the seller).

Last edited by Petza914; 08-20-2018 at 10:03 AM.
Old 08-20-2018, 10:52 AM
linderpat
Rennlist Member

Received 2,260 Likes on 1,260 Posts

Pete, the lift bars have points in them that mate to the jack point holes on the car. Very stable, and so long as you are using the correct model of lift bar for the car, very safe and zero chance of slipping off. I swear by the things in the absence of a lift.
Old 08-20-2018, 11:08 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by linderpat
Pete, the lift bars have points in them that mate to the jack point holes on the car. Very stable, and so long as you are using the correct model of lift bar for the car, very safe and zero chance of slipping off. I swear by the things in the absence of a lift.
I agree as I own a set. But to be fair, as you lift one side first, then the other, your jack will roll out slightly as the car is now tilting..... but your jack has wheels on it..... This has to happen with all alternatives though including JackPoints.... It is more pronounced with LiftBars because you can get them so much higher. To be totally honest, they weird me out with the car canted over so far that I don't really see me jacking the car side to side to get the car higher... which you can do. Still, I have complete confidence in them... they just work.

Another negative to LiftBars is they ar a bit fiddly to get going whereas the JackPoints appear faster. With the LiftBars..... you have to put your jack in position next to the car, then lay the bar on the jack,... the thing will rock and clunk, then slide it under holding the bar... it will swing around, then you get one side in, then the other and when you get other side in the other side pops out....... This is not as all bad as it may sound, but it is fiddly and you have to get down on your knees and dick with it. This is not a safety issue at all, just a fiddly part to get them oriented properly... they do "snap" into the jack mount holes so you know you have it seated properly... no guessing.

Overall, I am very happy with them.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 08-20-2018, 11:16 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Good to know.

I actually have a set of the liftbars leaned up against the corner of my garage, encircled in cobwebs as I've not used them a single time. I bought them for my 928 but because of the rocker panel bodywork along the bottom, can't use them. I've thought about trying them on the 997, but with the 4-post lift that has sliding pneumatic bridge jacks, and owning the Jackpoints which I had first, it hasn't been worth my time to experiment with additional options. Maybe I'll put them up for sale at some point.

When I jack up my car to put it on stands, I have 2 low-profile jacks. I use one on each side and move back and forth doing a few pumps on each jack, essentially lifting either both sides of the front or both sides of the rear together to avoid steep tipping angles. I usually start at the front since with the parking brake and the car in gear, the rear wheels can't roll like the fronts can. Once the fronts are up on the Jackpoints, I move both jacks to the 2 rear sides and do them.

I also have 2 pairs of 12,000 lb Rhino Ramps when I need just a little lift at the rear and just reverse up onto them. They clear the low bodywork on all the cars just fine, but of course you can't remove the wheels when using the ramps. I've actually put my truck and Cayenne up by driving onto all 4 of those at the same time, though in many cases with the Cayenne that has the air suspension, you can just put it in special terrain mode and slide under on a creeper, without lifting it at all, depending on what you're doing under there.
Old 08-20-2018, 11:28 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Petza914
Good to know.

I actually have a set of the liftbars leaned up against the corner of my garage, encircled in cobwebs as I've not used them a single time. I bought them for my 928 but because of the rocker panel bodywork along the bottom, can't use them. I've thought about trying them on the 997, but with the 4-post lift that has sliding pneumatic bridge jacks, and owning the Jackpoints which I had first, it hasn't been worth my time to experiment with additional options. Maybe I'll put them up for sale at some point.

When I jack up my car to put it on stands, I have 2 low-profile jacks. I use one on each side and move back and forth doing a few pumps on each jack, essentially lifting either both sides of the front or both sides of the rear together to avoid steep tipping angles. I usually start at the front since with the parking brake and the car in gear, the rear wheels can't roll like the fronts can. Once the fronts are up on the Jackpoints, I move both jacks to the 2 rear sides and do them.

I also have 2 pairs of 12,000 lb Rhino Ramps when I need just a little lift at the rear and just reverse up onto them. They clear the low bodywork on all the cars just fine, but of course you can't remove the wheels when using the ramps. I've actually put my truck and Cayenne up by driving onto all 4 of those at the same time, though in many cases with the Cayenne that has the air suspension, you can just put it in special terrain mode and slide under on a creeper, without lifting it at all, depending on what you're doing under there.
The bodywork issue..... the LiftBar manual denoted putting the jack in the middle and it will deflect and press against the rocker.... how much pressure is actually applied, I don;t know.... However, you can put the jack farther to the rear of a 911 and this will eliminate the bend.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 08-20-2018, 11:47 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
The bodywork issue..... the LiftBar manual denoted putting the jack in the middle and it will deflect and press against the rocker.... how much pressure is actually applied, I don;t know.... However, you can put the jack farther to the rear of a 911 and this will eliminate the bend.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Thanks Bruce. The bodywork issue is on my 928 with the side rocker panels. Unless I were to cut them at the lift points, I actually can't even get the liftbar into the openings. When I lift the 928 I use reinforced steel "U-s" that 928 Motorsports supplied to me (https://928motorsports.com/parts/Aux...jackpoints.php) and rear suspension lift points, not the factory jacking points. I don't have any issues with accessing the 997 factory lift points.

Quick Reply: 997 How do I get it on four jack stands?