Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine oil marginally over filled, do something or not?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2018, 08:13 PM
lowbee
Rennlist Member

Received 397 Likes on 247 Posts
Default Engine oil marginally over filled, do something or not?

So I had a new shop changed the oil on my 997.1S yesterday, I told them to put in no more than 8 liter (8.45 quart) thinking I will top up if necessary and I watched them put in 8L. So I checked the oil after it was parked for 2 hrs at work, everything is fine, oil indicator is at max but not over filled (top most segment NOT lighted up). I checked the oil level again at a different parking spot at work today and it is showing over filled. Now I know my garage is slight sloped down towards the curb (like any other garage for water drainage) and when I parked the car overnight with front of the car towards the curb (nose down) and checked the oil in the morning, it is showing over filled (top most segment lighted up). When I parked with the back of the car towards the curb (nose up), oil indicator is at the max (top most segment NOT lighted up), this is telling me the car could be marginally overfilled..... Here are my options, what should I do ?

1. Do nothing and let it burn out, the 100ml (0.1 quart) overfill shouldn't hurt anything
2. Go back to the shop and have them unscrew the oil filter then dump the oil from the filter
3. Go back to the shop and have them unscrew the drain plug and let some oil out. (Can I reuse crush washer and drain plug or do I need new ones ?)

Last edited by lowbee; 08-02-2018 at 11:19 PM.
Old 08-02-2018, 08:21 PM
dgjks6
Drifting

Received 254 Likes on 162 Posts

Unscrew oil filter and back in
Old 08-02-2018, 09:14 PM
deptotpr
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

Drive fast, high rpm on your way to work tomorrow, and it should be good after.
Old 08-02-2018, 09:22 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,413 Likes on 2,516 Posts

Do #1. If you're completely AR do #2.
Old 08-02-2018, 09:25 PM
dgjks6
Drifting

Received 254 Likes on 162 Posts

Do the .1's still have a dipstick?
Old 08-02-2018, 09:28 PM
LexVan
Banned

Originally Posted by dgjks6
Do the .1's still have a dipstick?
No.
Old 08-02-2018, 10:20 PM
bheit1
Rennlist Member

Received 195 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by lowbee
So I had a new shop changed the oil on my 997.1S yesterday, I told them to put in no more than 8 liter (8.45 quart) thinking I will top up if necessary and I watched them put in 8L. So I checked the oil after it was parked for 2 hrs at work, everything is fine, oil indicator is at max but not over filled (top most segment NOT lighted up). I checked the oil level again at a different parking spot at work and it is showing over filled. Now I know my garage is slight sloped down towards the curb (like any other garage for water drainage) and when I parked the car overnight with front of the car towards the curb (nose down) and checked the oil in the morning, it is showing over filled (top most segment lighted up). When I parked with the back of the car towards the curb (nose up), oil indicator is at the max (top most segment NOT lighted up), this is telling me the car could be marginally overfilled..... Here are my options, what should I do ?

1. Do nothing and let it burn out, the 100ml (0.1 quart) overfill shouldn't hurt anything
2. Go back to the shop and have them unscrew the oil filter then dump the oil from the filter
3. Go back to the shop and have them unscrew the drain plug and let some oil out. (Can I reuse crush washer and drain plug or do I need new ones ?)
I pulled into a gas station a while back and checked the oil before I shut the car off. Like yours, it showed the top level of the gauge full. After filling the car I started it again and checked the oil. It registered right where it should be. I don't think it hurts to let the engine cool down for a bit before checking the oil.
Old 08-02-2018, 11:37 PM
rtl5009
Three Wheelin'

Received 683 Likes on 324 Posts

They are temperamental in that range. If it registered both right at full and over full you are good. Just drive it.
Old 08-03-2018, 12:01 AM
j beede
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Assuming a stock filter canister... jack up the right rear and drop the filter canister yourself. Empty it and screw it back on. The torque spec is molded into the cover. Job done. Ten minutes including putting the jack away and tossing the drain pan in the dishwasher.

My 997.1 doesn't consume oil (if it does the lost oil is replaced with coolant or gasoline I suspect). If I left it overfilled it would stay that way until the next oil change.

I don't think Herr Doctor Porsche would approve of the high-rev-on-the-way-to-work method of adjusting oil level.

FYI: I believe RED offers an old school dipstick option during rebuilds.
Old 08-03-2018, 07:59 AM
karl1672
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Interesting. Mine doesn't seem to use any oil either. When I check it (cold, same spot in the garage), most all the time it reads full but will occasionally read over.
Old 08-03-2018, 08:30 AM
LexVan
Banned

Originally Posted by karl1672
Interesting. Mine doesn't seem to use any oil either. When I check it (cold, same spot in the garage), most all the time it reads full but will occasionally read over.
Most don't use oil. And the minute amount of oil that you might be consuming, is replaced by moisture in your oil. So net-net is stays pretty full.
Old 08-03-2018, 09:55 AM
karl1672
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I get that ^, my coment was more about the occasional overfill reading.
Old 08-03-2018, 10:54 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,701 Likes on 4,258 Posts

Don't ever check the oil in a .1 any time other than before the first start of the day on level ground. Any readings done other than before the first start aren't worth anything because there's the variables of oil expanding with temperature and how much is left up in the motor that hasn't returned to the pan.

Running it overfilled at high RPM when the vacuum is the highest is a great way to finish off your AOS membrane, so don't do that option. The drain plug option isn't a good one either.

Do the remove filter canister, dump, and replace option.
Old 08-03-2018, 10:57 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,642 Likes on 979 Posts

As I understand it, overfilling oil in Porsches is the same as any other car..... you want to prevent foaming. To prevent this, we have a "full" mark in our guages, an air-oil separator, and the oil companies put anti-foaming additives in the oil. If overfilled, the spinning crank can dip into the oil pool and whip it up. Bubbles in oil is bad as it creates points of non-lubrication. IMO, our sports cars are designed to take quite a bit of oil sloshing. I remember seeing an engineering spec revealed in a Christophorous article 20-some years ago.... or maybe they alluded to it, but the engineers are provided with a set of specs for design. One of them include the lateral/forward/back g-forces the engine will have to endure... including tilt angle (going up a steep hill etc.). Given a max lateral force, the oil, coolant, chains, sprayers, etc. will have operate properly under say 1.x G of lateral force... a sprayer must hit its target, for example, or oil can't slosh beyond a certain point etc. etc.

IMO, one bar over fill is no issue. I suspect we are way within spec. Unless of course you put on slicks and head to the track... then maybe you will get slosh that goes beyond spec and then maybe something bad will happen.

Full disclosure: I am totally speculating..... I have slightly overfilled my car a few times...... oh, and back in the 2000s, dealers chronically overfilled our cars... I don;t know why but they did and it was a common post back then.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 08-03-2018, 11:27 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,701 Likes on 4,258 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
As I understand it, overfilling oil in Porsches is the same as any other car..... you want to prevent foaming. To prevent this, we have a "full" mark in our guages, an air-oil separator, and the oil companies put anti-foaming additives in the oil. If overfilled, the spinning crank can dip into the oil pool and whip it up. Bubbles in oil is bad as it creates points of non-lubrication. IMO, our sports cars are designed to take quite a bit of oil sloshing. I remember seeing an engineering spec revealed in a Christophorous article 20-some years ago.... or maybe they alluded to it, but the engineers are provided with a set of specs for design. One of them include the lateral/forward/back g-forces the engine will have to endure... including tilt angle (going up a steep hill etc.). Given a max lateral force, the oil, coolant, chains, sprayers, etc. will have operate properly under say 1.x G of lateral force... a sprayer must hit its target, for example, or oil can't slosh beyond a certain point etc. etc.

IMO, one bar over fill is no issue. I suspect we are way within spec. Unless of course you put on slicks and head to the track... then maybe you will get slosh that goes beyond spec and then maybe something bad will happen.

Full disclosure: I am totally speculating..... I have slightly overfilled my car a few times...... oh, and back in the 2000s, dealers chronically overfilled our cars... I don;t know why but they did and it was a common post back then.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Completely separate from the lubrication issue you mention which are valid points and why good deep sump kits include windage trays, overfilling the oil in a 911 can lead to premature AOS failure when the vacuum for crankcase ventilation that goes through the AOS pulls in actual oil instead of oil vapor. That's the reason you don't want to overfill a 911, not because of the lubrication and oil foaming, though those are other reasons as well.

Quick Reply: Engine oil marginally over filled, do something or not?