Weird Thunk 997.1 C2

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2018, 07:22 PM
JustRob
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird Thunk 997.1 C2

Hi all-

Lately been noticing a light thunking noise on rough roads, attributed it to tire noise (had six year old tires on 18" wheels but recently went to 19") but a day or so ago I [gently] went over a speed hump and heard it on the way down. For lack of a better description it sounds kind of like a backfire--quick, sharp and short, but with an ever so slight metallic sound. It's coming from the right rear. Exhaust tip on that side is 1/4 inch lower than the left side so it's looking like time for new motor mounts. I know that drooping tips and unexplained vibrations are symptoms of failing mounts, could this thunk be caused by the same? Thanks!

rob
Old 08-01-2018, 08:42 PM
Linnm
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How are your shocks?
Old 08-01-2018, 09:26 PM
leknus
6th Gear

I just had the same sound on my 2005 C2 61k. I replaced the motor mounts with Wevo’s from Pelican. No more thunk.
Old 08-02-2018, 02:23 AM
JustRob
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Linnm
How are your shocks?
Shocks seem good, but I'll have them checked too. Thanks.
Old 08-02-2018, 09:11 AM
Uwon
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by leknus
I just had the same sound on my 2005 C2 61k. I replaced the motor mounts with Wevo’s from Pelican. No more thunk.
any additional engine vibration?
Old 08-02-2018, 10:04 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,648 Likes on 983 Posts

Control arms will go bad, actually the bushings, and will clunk. However the clunking is not apparent on really rough roads.... the way to tell is when they clunk on undulations and slow speed such as turning into a parking spot over a tarmac repair. The car is heavy and the shifting load will drive a clunk. It is clunking at higher speeds on rough roads but it is pretty tough to hear or distinguish.

For engine mounts... just step back from the rear of your car and look at the exhaust tips... if one side hangs lower, they need to be replaced (not necessarily the source of clunking, but a sign to be replaced anyway)..... one side goes before the other because of the engine always twists one way. There is a third mount, forward of the transmission.... for that you will need a lift.

These cars eat control arms... so my first bet is on a bad control arm when someone hears clunking.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 08-07-2018, 03:27 PM
JustRob
Intermediate

Quick interim follow up here, the source of the noise at the right rear is not motor mounts. My indy believes I have a bad strut so he's digging into that right now.

Two questions, replace both if one is bad, and will I need an alignment after they're replaced?

Thanks!

rob
Old 08-07-2018, 04:02 PM
Climarepair.com
Former Sponsor

Received 93 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by JustRob
Quick interim follow up here, the source of the noise at the right rear is not motor mounts. My indy believes I have a bad strut so he's digging into that right now.

Two questions, replace both if one is bad, and will I need an alignment after they're replaced?

Thanks!

rob
replace both if one is bad - YES (if your car is over - lets say - 30k milles.

will I need an alignment after they're replaced - some (good) mechanics say is not necessary
Old 08-07-2018, 04:15 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,648 Likes on 983 Posts

Originally Posted by JustRob

Thanks!

rob
Unless you tech is really sure it is the struts, I recommend you go for a ride with chassis ears attached. That is the only way to know for sure... other than being able to grab onto something and duplicate the clunk. Years ago when I had the 2nd highest mileage 986/996 the dealer had seen, they didn;t know where the common wear points were.... so the foreman took me for a ride with chassis ears.... isolated it right to a particular control arm. Done.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 08-07-2018, 08:23 PM
lmaternick
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

check your swaybar bushings. They will produce a sudden thump or squeak depending on how worn. Usually a DIY if you can jack.
Old 08-08-2018, 05:33 PM
JustRob
Intermediate

Final report on this, it turned out to be the top mount of the right rear strut. He said everything else looked fine, and since the left side wasn't acting up I could go ahead and leave it for now but to plan on being proactive and replacing the left side top mount at my convenience (he would have gone ahead and done both if there had been some shared labor). I just picked it up and it's quiet as a church mouse going over the same roads that made the noise noticeable.

Just curious, about how many hours labor do you all think this should have taken?

Thanks to all who replied!

rob

Quick Reply: Weird Thunk 997.1 C2