Sponsored by:

Ye Olde Fly Out, Buy Car, Drive Car Home

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2018, 02:11 PM
qikqbn
Rennlist Member

Received 540 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by JoshGordon
TLDR: Flew to Vegas, bought car, drove car 750 miles back to Denver, loved every minute of it.

Future plans:

1) Drive it. This will be my fair weather, don’t-need-to-haul-a-lot-of-people or stuff car. So I should be able to drive it a fair bit.

2) Did all Bose cars have the CD changer, or was that a separate option? I thought they all did but this car doesn’t have the CD changer. Might try to get a used one of those and install it, and/or figure out how to get an aux-in input.

3) Look into paint protection film for the front end.

4) Eventually, maybe a set of Carrera SIIs or Carrera Classic wheels. I didn’t like them at first, but the Lobster Forks are growing on me a bit.

5) Doesn’t look like the clutch has been done, so eventually replace that and upgrade the IMS at the same time.

Congratulations on your first Porsche 911! Welcome to the "obsession" club!!

I drove 400 miles to Vegas from Los Angeles with my father to pick up my 911. Thank God it was not 117 degrees at that time, but no matter the temps the drive home is always great. Gives you plenty of time and miles to think about and reaffirm your feelings on exactly why this is a dream car for so many of us.
Must have been a great drive through some mountain passes on your way to Denver the mile high city (5280 elevation). All cars at that high elevation will feel down on power, but these cars are not just about straight line speed, so drive it through the twisties as often as you can!

A couple suggestions/notes:
-With 80k+ on the odometer I would dig a little deeper to see if that clutch has been replaced. It's definitely one of the pricier maintenance projects. If it has not, then as you suggested, It would definitely be a great idea to set some money aside and do the ims upgrade at the same time.
I would also recommend a new dual mass flywheel, slave cylinder, and replacing some tired parts in the clutch assembly.. If you shop around figure about $1500 clutch / flywheel, $200 misc parts, $700 for ims upgrade, and about $1200 for labor at a good indie.

-Paint protection film will definitely save you from all those bugs and their nasty little exoskeletons messing with your paint. Easy to wipe off from film as well.

-Interesting note on the pcm bose system. Although yours did not come with cd changer, the pcm does read cd's as storage media as well.. if so inclined, back in the day before I installed an auxiliary, you can copy several albums on to one cd and just browse through folders on the pcm.
Definitely search out a few options for adding blue tooth or an auxiliary jack. They make some decent and not too expensive options you can find on ebay or amazon without going the head replacement route.

-since you have been on rennlist for a long time you already know there is a lot of great info here and lot's to obsess about in your future, enjoy!!
Old 08-01-2018, 10:12 PM
JoshGordon
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3_ISH
Ayyee, my first brand new car was an 02 RSX-S. Loved that car. It went through many phases of mods and my stupidity. Cams, Turbocharging, different cams, bigger turbo, and still ran like a champ when I sold it.
Wow! I didn't get quite that into modding, just coilovers and an intake. I loved mine too, but sadly it got hit hard by a hailstorm 4 years in and I sold it shortly thereafter.
​​​​
Originally Posted by amplitude
Congrats from a fellow Coloradan on both the car and the anniversary! Sounds as though you've been after a 911 for quite a while; must feel a little surreal to now have it parked in the garage? I know it was for me... One of those 'pinch me' moments...

The first time I walked back out to my garage I went "Holy ****, I have a Porsche!" It was legitimately surprising.

Originally Posted by qikqbn
A couple suggestions/notes:
-With 80k+ on the odometer I would dig a little deeper to see if that clutch has been replaced. It's definitely one of the pricier maintenance projects. If it has not, then as you suggested, It would definitely be a great idea to set some money aside and do the ims upgrade at the same time.
I would also recommend a new dual mass flywheel, slave cylinder, and replacing some tired parts in the clutch assembly.. If you shop around figure about $1500 clutch / flywheel, $200 misc parts, $700 for ims upgrade, and about $1200 for labor at a good indie.
:
I''ve been meaning to call the dealership where the PO had most of the work done and see if they'd send me a copy of their records, just haven't gotten around to it yet. But I've mentally budgeted in the cost of a clutch/IMS into my first year ownership costs. Just don't tell my wife that!
Old 08-01-2018, 11:09 PM
JoshGordon
Advanced

Did a few things today - took some pics of my happy son in daddy's new car, installed ultimate cupholders, and discovered the CD holders and pen holder in the glovebox.

This kid LOVES riding in the 911.

This is the Evenflo Big Kid Amp booster seat. Basically the only booster I could find that both fits AND has cupholders. On Amazon for $33. It's a pain to insert the buckle, but worth it for those cupholders.

The Ultimate Cupholders seem to work well, and fit my wife's ever-present water bottle. Hopefully with this small upgrade she'll continue to be willing to ride shotgun regularly, increasing my drive time. Happy wife/happy life and all that!
Old 08-01-2018, 11:26 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,552 Likes on 4,167 Posts

Did a few things today - took some pics of my happy son in daddy's new car, installed ultimate cupholders, and discovered the CD holders and pen holder in the glovebox.

This kid LOVES riding in the 911.

This is the Evenflo Big Kid Amp booster seat. Basically the only booster I could find that both fits AND has cupholders. On Amazon for $33. It's a pain to insert the buckle, but worth it for those cupholders.

The Ultimate Cupholders seem to work well, and fit my wife's ever-present water bottle. Hopefully with this small upgrade she'll continue to be willing to ride shotgun regularly, increasing my drive time. Happy wife/happy life and all that!

Sharing the cars with the kids is one of the best aspects.

With Porsche Team Drivers at Road Atlanta Petite le Mans

Meeting Hurley Haywood

1st Day of School a few years ago in the wife's 997

Sharks in the Mountains Group Drive

A couple suggestions for you...
  1. Remove the rear seats - it's easy, will allow the backrest of your son's seat to sit on a more comfortable angle and spare both the seat bottom and seat back leather from the abuse of the car seat and from anything he might spill or drip since he has drinks back there
  2. Looks like maybe your parking brake might need an adjustment - looks like it's set on a steeper angle then when it's adjusted properly. The adjustment is done at the rear rotor assemblies and can be accomplished only by removing the wheels - the rest of the brakes don't need to come apart.

Last edited by Petza914; 08-02-2018 at 02:23 AM.
Old 08-02-2018, 12:34 AM
JoshGordon
Advanced

Originally Posted by Petza914
Sharing the cars with the kids is one of the best aspects. A couple suggestions for you...
  1. Remove the rear seats - it's easy, will allow the backrest of your son's seat to sit on a more comfortable angle and spare both the seat bottom and seat back leather from the abuse of the car seat and from anything he might spill or drip since he has drinks back there
  2. Looks like maybe your parking brake might need an adjustment - looks like it's set on a steeper angle then when it's adjusted properly. The adjustment is done at the rear rotor assemblies and can be accomplished only by removing the wheels - the rest of the brakes don't need to come apart.
I'll definitely check the booster's fit with the seats/seatbacks removed. Another project for the near future!

I'm amazed that you could tell this solely from a photo, but yes the parking brake totally needs an adjustment. I really have to crank on it to get it to engage. I didn't realize this until I parked it in my moderately inclined driveway when I got home and started rolling backward. The dealer replaced the rear rotors and pads when they got the car and must not have adjusted it correctly afterward. It works as long as I pull it up with significant force and get those few extra clicks. I've already bookmarked the DIY on the forums and hope to get to it this weekend or next. Until then... CRRRRRAAAAAAAANKKKKK.

Old 08-02-2018, 02:20 AM
qikqbn
Rennlist Member

Received 540 Likes on 298 Posts

One of my favorite mods... if you don't have one already... 997 short shifter. Part# 997-424-983-00

Pricey, but worth every penny. Easy to check if you have one. Lift the leather shift boot and if you see a blue plastic assembly at bottom of shifter, then you have it.
Old 08-02-2018, 03:51 AM
alex911s
Man of Many Porsches
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

looks like a great time picking up that awesome car... congrats!! and enjoy!!!
Old 08-02-2018, 08:31 AM
bdiamond001
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Congrats. Love you're enthusiasm!!!
My fly and drive was to Miami and then back to Philly. Went with my PSU sophomore daughter and saw the PSU vs FSU Orange bowl 2006.
Old 08-02-2018, 10:46 PM
jlert
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

The first time I walked back out to my garage I went "Holy ****, I have a Porsche!" It was legitimately surprising.
This. Awesome story, congrats on the sweet ride!
Old 08-02-2018, 10:55 PM
Rampage
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 21 Posts

Congrats!

That first drive back is a pretty awesome experience, had mine last year!
Old 08-02-2018, 11:01 PM
Buteo
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 19 Posts

Congrats!

Are you planning to take it out on the track? High plains isn’t too far away! Heading out there tomorrow if you’d like to join.
Old 08-02-2018, 11:09 PM
swftiii
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Congratulations, beware of the addiction. Enjoy every minute.
Old 08-02-2018, 11:33 PM
JoshGordon
Advanced

Originally Posted by Buteo
Congrats!

Are you planning to take it out on the track? High plains isn’t too far away! Heading out there tomorrow if you’d like to join.

​​​I hope to at some point, but I'm probably going to live with the car a bit first and make sure it's reliable. Don't want to worry about breaking her just yet!

I did a Porsche World Roadshow event (I think that's what it was called) a few years ago and got to drive some 991s and a Cayman at HPR - it was a blast and I'd love to be able to do that again in my own car.
Old 08-03-2018, 12:51 AM
Frosty914
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by swftiii
Congratulations, beware of the addiction. Enjoy every minute.
^^^ this! A year after I got my 991 S, I just got an '88 Targa....for the weekend... great color combo! congrats!
Old 08-11-2018, 07:16 PM
JoshGordon
Advanced

Originally Posted by Petza914

A couple suggestions for you...
Been a busy week, but managed to:

Remove the rear seats. After some fiddling, found the booster fits best with the seatback removed but the bottom still in place. Freed up an inch or two of legroom and let the seatback rest at a better angle.

Adjusted the rear parking brake - really a lot easier to use now.

Man these are wide tires!

While browsing the forums, randomly discovered that these were homelink buttons! That was a nice surprise. No more garage door opener in front of the shifter.

Also added some bumpers to the walls in the garage, in case the wife or kid (or I) get a little careless.

...and purchased an incredibly important accessory to complete the experience - an OEM Porsche keychain!

Quick Reply: Ye Olde Fly Out, Buy Car, Drive Car Home