Opinions wanted on service due- Time versus mileage

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2018, 07:09 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,552 Likes on 4,167 Posts

Originally Posted by prairiedawg
Yes, I guess I can't disagree with that logic. I'm already $250 into a PPI. The PPI mechanic said it was a very nice car,and it sounded like he was pretty thorough, a Porsche only garage. Does it make sense to have the oil pan pulled and check the cylinder bores when it goes back for the tire noise?
No, that's not really needed on the 997.2 models - save the money.
Old 07-30-2018, 07:35 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,465 Likes on 918 Posts

This is always an interesting subject. I tend to fall into the camp that performs maintenance based on time and/or mileage, depending on which comes first. I drive my 911 less than 5,000 miles per year, but I change the oil every year. Sometimes I think that's overkill, but it also gives me some peace of mind. That said, there are some areas where this seems to be a more important issue. For example, I really believe that brake fluid should be changed a minimum of every two years. As I'm sure you all know, brake fluid is hydrophilic. It loves water. As a result, the moisture content in brake fluid can be high and can corrode internal brake components, even on cars with low mileage. Is it likely on a newer car with three year-old brake fluid? No. But I would feel better with fresh fluid if I bought the car.

If I were the buyer, I would insist on the maintenance (including fluid charges) being up to date, and I would insist on new tires. That's my 2 cents worth!
Old 07-30-2018, 07:56 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,552 Likes on 4,167 Posts

Originally Posted by Dennis C
I really believe that brake fluid should be changed a minimum of every two years. As I'm sure you all know, brake fluid is hydrophilic. It loves water. As a result, the moisture content in brake fluid can be high and can corrode internal brake components, even on cars with low mileage. Is it likely on a newer car with three year-old brake fluid? No. But I would feel better with fresh fluid if I bought the car.

!
Hygroscopic is the word you were looking for
Old 07-30-2018, 08:06 PM
rickdogg82
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

It is what it is and it sounds like a good deal. I would not let someone else swoop in. And at some point you are going to become more trouble than you are worth.
Old 07-30-2018, 10:02 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,465 Likes on 918 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
Hygroscopic is the word you were looking for
Nice catch. Thanks for that correction!

I’ve heard both used in this context and never knew which one was correct.
Old 07-30-2018, 10:43 PM
Prairiedawg
Rennlist Member

Received 1,021 Likes on 546 Posts

Originally Posted by rickdogg82
It is what it is and it sounds like a good deal. I would not let someone else swoop in. And at some point you are going to become more trouble than you are worth.
Yeah, I settled with the seller and made a deal. I was getting the sense he was getting frustrated but I think he thought it was a better deal than it is. He was looking at it as what he paid for it two years ago, not market conditions today.

The cost of the tires is about the same as the credit, its a wash. He's going to put tires on and I'll pay the difference as long as the noise is gone. I can probably get the service done here cheaper here anyways. A P dealer in the Milwaukee area quoted $425 for the PDK service. That's better than a lot of Indies I called. When its all said and done I think I did OK. Booked a flight to the northeast to make the deal.
Old 07-30-2018, 11:18 PM
doclouie
Three Wheelin'

Received 188 Likes on 124 Posts

Best of luck with the car. Post some pictures when you get back.
Old 07-30-2018, 11:57 PM
Prairiedawg
Rennlist Member

Received 1,021 Likes on 546 Posts

Originally Posted by doclouie
Best of luck with the car. Post some pictures when you get back.
Thank you. It won't be until the last week of August. We both have to work out some logistics.
Old 08-05-2018, 11:19 PM
Verboden
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

I attended a Porsche Tech Tactics a couple of years ago and one of the presenters touched on this. The reason for some of the time services can fall into a couple of areas. He mentioned that with spark plugs because the heads are aluminum and the plugs different (steel?) the dissimilar metal can actual start to fuse. Given enough time you could damage the head trying to remove a plug. Some parts of the engine are plastic, oil can be acidic through contamination and although it continues to lubricate correctly it could weaken the plastic parts.

So, you can't just assume that because you are way low on mileage that service has no benefit.

Quick Reply: Opinions wanted on service due- Time versus mileage