Sponsored by:

PCM glitching

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2018, 10:29 AM
96Tiger
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default PCM glitching

A couple of weeks ago while listening to the radio the PCM screen would go black, the Porsche logo would then appear as if it had rebooted, and everything would be fine. It kept happening off and on but not consistently. This morning it happened twice. Is my PCM dying a slow death? Anyone know a fix for this? Would disconnecting the battery do any good? Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 02-09-2018, 10:43 AM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 237 Posts

Your hard drive is dying. Unit needs to come out, go to Becker in NJ for repair. Reinstall and P dealer will remarry to car. Recent threads on this a few months ago if you search on my posts as a contributor. I did not initiate the post. Total cost will be about $1500. This is the only route that is a reliable and permanent fix.
Old 02-09-2018, 12:45 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

I have a file on my PCM repair from last summer. You are welcome to call me and I can give you all the info and contact info you need. Cell is 315-246-2173.
Old 02-09-2018, 01:03 PM
96Tiger
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Great, thanks for the info and the offer. I’ll try and give you a call this afternoon.
Old 02-09-2018, 08:56 PM
MagnusB
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mike cap
Your hard drive is dying. Unit needs to come out, go to Becker in NJ for repair. Reinstall and P dealer will remarry to car. Recent threads on this a few months ago if you search on my posts as a contributor. I did not initiate the post. Total cost will be about $1500. This is the only route that is a reliable and permanent fix.
Hard Drive?
Old 02-10-2018, 11:08 AM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MagnusB
Hard Drive?
Two words and a question mark. Not sure I’m getting your point.
Old 02-10-2018, 11:27 AM
lowpue
Rennlist Member

Received 537 Likes on 259 Posts

mine does the same thing...once every couple of days....
Old 02-10-2018, 11:50 AM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by lowpue
mine does the same thing...once every couple of days....
lowpue - pm your email address I can send you the info and docs, SB, etc that I sent to the OP to pursue the repair.
Old 02-10-2018, 12:10 PM
ManoTexas
Three Wheelin'

Received 683 Likes on 409 Posts

Been having PCM act weird. Under warranty so took to dealer. They had for couple weeks and couldn't replicate. I picked up car and within couple miles PCM acting up again.
Mentally went thru what I did when got in car. Realized first thing was connect iPhone using the cable. Which I do almost very time. Disconnected it and no more issues rest of trip home or few drives after that. Seems something with that version apple iOS causing issue. Didn't have any issue for the previous 18 months owned the car. I've done recent upgrade to 11.2.5 and with two drives PCM hasn't acted up. Dealer never connected a phone and PCM worked properly the whole time they had car.
I also thought PCM was dying and wanted fixed before cpo ran out. Now believe 100% related to iOS version prior to 11.2.5.
Food for thought.
Scott
Old 02-10-2018, 12:26 PM
shekmark
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Funny, mine just did the same thing two days ago. Blacked out and came back on with Porsche logo. I also plug my iPhone 7S in. It did not do it at all yesterday during a 40 mile drive and my phone was plugged in.
Old 02-10-2018, 12:31 PM
MagnusB
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mike cap

Two words and a question mark. Not sure I’m getting your point.
Maybe I'm being technical here but I don't think there is a hard drive inside the PCM. The price I got from Becker for repairing my unit was much less than $1,500, but that was for a PCM version 2.1 for a 997.1.
Used units can be found on eBay for $500-$600 but of course there is a risk with a used one, don't know how long they will last.
Old 02-10-2018, 12:49 PM
mreloc
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ManoTexas
Been having PCM act weird. Under warranty so took to dealer. They had for couple weeks and couldn't replicate. I picked up car and within couple miles PCM acting up again.
Mentally went thru what I did when got in car. Realized first thing was connect iPhone using the cable. Which I do almost very time. Disconnected it and no more issues rest of trip home or few drives after that. Seems something with that version apple iOS causing issue. Didn't have any issue for the previous 18 months owned the car. I've done recent upgrade to 11.2.5 and with two drives PCM hasn't acted up. Dealer never connected a phone and PCM worked properly the whole time they had car.
I also thought PCM was dying and wanted fixed before cpo ran out. Now believe 100% related to iOS version prior to 11.2.5.
Food for thought.
Scott
Same here. I'm in CPO, and have had my PCM go into constant reboot phase after getting my iphone x . I had it at the dealer yesterday and they've been unable to replicate the issue. I believe my phone causes the issue even when it's not hardwired, though- so the issue may be the bluetooth connection. This is really frustrating!
Old 02-10-2018, 01:17 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MagnusB
Maybe I'm being technical here but I don't think there is a hard drive inside the PCM. The price I got from Becker for repairing my unit was much less than $1,500, but that was for a PCM version 2.1 for a 997.1.
Used units can be found on eBay for $500-$600 but of course there is a risk with a used one, don't know how long they will last.
I had three or four discussions with the Becker shop manager in NJ about my unit before and while it was there. He referred to the PCM “hard drive” numerous times as a typical failure point.

Becker’s price for their work was $900 and change. The $1500 you refer to is my estimate of the TOTAL COST that the OP would face by the time he was done paying the P dealer and Becker. PCM in and out, reprogramming, Becker and shipping/insurance. I may be $100 off on the hat estimate.

Used is a waste of money as you suggest.
Old 02-10-2018, 05:59 PM
ManoTexas
Three Wheelin'

Received 683 Likes on 409 Posts

Originally Posted by mreloc
Same here. I'm in CPO, and have had my PCM go into constant reboot phase after getting my iphone x . I had it at the dealer yesterday and they've been unable to replicate the issue. I believe my phone causes the issue even when it's not hardwired, though- so the issue may be the bluetooth connection. This is really frustrating!
i rarely BT phone so no history there with PCM issues. Had no wire connection issues for long time, so it was one version iOS issue I believe, and seems (hope)latest iOS resolved. Have you upgraded yet?
Old 02-10-2018, 08:01 PM
mreloc
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ManoTexas

i rarely BT phone so no history there with PCM issues. Had no wire connection issues for long time, so it was one version iOS issue I believe, and seems (hope)latest iOS resolved. Have you upgraded yet?
I'm already on 11.2.5, so my iOS is the latest version. Arg! Apple!

Quick Reply: PCM glitching