Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Water pump failure - fortunate outcome

Old 07-28-2018, 12:27 PM
Caughtacab911
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Water pump failure - fortunate outcome

Having read many threads about 997.1 water pumps, there seem to be two distinct schools of thought about replacing: 1) do it proactively when you control the time and place; 2) wait for it to fail on its own - at 40K miles, or 60K or whenever, and be at the mercy of your location, timing and any unexpected outcomes. Guess which happened to us yesterday?

While driving home from a 120-mile round trip (to visit our first grandchild at the hospital!), just 15 miles from home on the interstate, top down, cruising speed, feeling great about life, I suddenly heard some "screeching" from the engine. It was intermittent but unmistakeable - not a good sound. Warning light comes on "Check coolant level". Luckily there was an exit 1 mile ahead (it was 90+ degrees and I didn't want to be on the highway). The intermittent high-pitched screeches continued as we exited and found a gas station with a shady parking space. Pulled in, engine off. The sick-sweet smell of coolant boiling off filled the air while a pink puddle began appearing under the rear end. Steam poured out of the hood (which we opened). Coolant was all over the motor.

Called AAA and about 3 hours later the flatbed arrived. After two 997s and 100K miles driven, this was our first tow-assisted breakdown (have had flat tires but never needed a tow). Got her over to my indy shop where I'll learn what happened on Monday.

The car has 65,000 miles. My last 997 had 95K when I sold it - original pump still working fine. Apart from the "check coolant level" warning, no other messages came up, nor did the engine temperature gauge move from 175 degrees. I hated to drive it those 2 miles or so, but it seemed to be an early stage failure (which did become a total malfunction).

Was this a typical water pump failure? How much should I expect it to cost to repair? (someone here had a 997.2 pump replacement done for $1,200). Other thoughts?

Gene

Old 07-28-2018, 01:12 PM
Climarepair.com
Former Sponsor

Received 92 Likes on 68 Posts

In Europe is about $1200 -Porsche Center- or $800 -Indy Shop-.
Old 07-29-2018, 02:11 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,006 Likes on 714 Posts

I'm the one with the 997.2 $1,200 replacement. Just to remind you that the serpentine belt was trashed when the pump went on mine so if your belt is ok your tab should be lower. You lucked out in a way. I was on a freeway and once I got the same warnings you got, my nearest exit was about a mile away. Coolant temp started to rise just as I exited so I don't think I could have driven much past where I pulled off. It's definitely a failure that ends your driving right there and then so I'm actually thinking about having my current one replaced proactively since I'm creeping up on 60K miles. The one that failed on me only had just over 40K miles on it.
Old 07-29-2018, 10:17 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,136 Likes on 3,909 Posts

Sorry to hear about your issue, but at least now you're of the proper school of thought when it comes to 997 water pumps - everyone else will join us over time. That's a classic pump failure where the bearing developed too much play, damages the seal and coolant starts leaking out.

Replacement is the cost of parts plus a couple hours at their hourly rate. Have them Install the low temp thermostat at the same time. Maje sure they use a pump with a composure impeller, NOT A METAL ONE. Ask to see the old pump and examine the impeller blades. You're looking to see if there are any large pieces broken off - if so, these can lodge in the small passageways of the cooling system, cause hot spots and motor issues, like scoring. You may see the blades a little deformed from being worn down dye to contact with the block housing - that's ok, its sharp breaks or chunks missing that are bad.

Good luck.
Old 07-29-2018, 12:05 PM
joe084S
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

my 997 has 67000 miles on it. do you think I should just get the water pump replaces as a precaution? id rather spend the $1000 now before something actually goes wrong with the car. especially if my wife and kids are in the car with me.
Old 07-29-2018, 12:39 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by joe084S
my 997 has 67000 miles on it. do you think I should just get the water pump replaces as a precaution? id rather spend the $1000 now before something actually goes wrong with the car. especially if my wife and kids are in the car with me.
As you can tell from reading this thread, my vote is yes. Install the LTT and a new serp one belt at the same time. I get my belts from Napa - just take the old one up there and they'll match it up for width, length, and proper # of ribs.
Old 08-03-2018, 12:03 PM
Caughtacab911
Instructor

A few days later... all is repaired and she's in excellent running order again. My local Porsche mechanic replaced the water pump, thermostat and housing, serpentine belt and both idler pulley rollers. Also three gals of coolant (at $49/gal!). Seven hours labor total. Final bill = $1,600. I am not a gearhead so this was not a job I would have undertaken. He also recommended against a low-temp thermostat since we live in the Northeast. May have overpaid a little based on previous posts, maybe not, but what matters is we're back on the road!
Old 08-03-2018, 12:18 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Caughtacab911
A few days later... all is repaired and she's in excellent running order again. My local Porsche mechanic replaced the water pump, thermostat and housing, serpentine belt and both idler pulley rollers. Also three gals of coolant (at $49/gal!). Seven hours labor total. Final bill = $1,600. I am not a gearhead so this was not a job I would have undertaken. He also recommended against a low-temp thermostat since we live in the Northeast. May have overpaid a little based on previous posts, maybe not, but what matters is we're back on the road!
Glad your back in business.

The cold weather climates where bore scoring is more likely to occur is actually where you want the LTT the most as it allows the motor to warm up more gradually by opening sooner. Yes, it may take 2 minutes longer to get the same amount of heat out of the car, but you may be able to prevent a larger engine issue. The eventual running temp of the engine won't be changed as an open thermostat is an open thermostat no matter what temperature it started opening at so the car won't run any cooler with a LTT than the regular thermostat. Whatever you do, don't let it sit in the driveway warming up in the winter.
Old 08-03-2018, 12:21 PM
Skyhawk172
Burning Brakes

Received 62 Likes on 51 Posts

Did they also wash it if so then I think you did well. not all of us are gear heads. and was it OME parts?
Old 08-03-2018, 02:07 PM
997_4me
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Same exact thing happened to me 2 days ago. I heard an intermitted screech about a week ago and started to search for possible causes. I planned on changing the water pump later this month but my Carrera had other plans. As I came home from a late night drive, I smelled the unmistakably sweet smell of coolant. Luckily, I was a block away from home and put her right into my garage. There was a steady trickle of coolant coming from the pump. She is scheduled to be towed to a shop on Saturday and I'll update y'all how bad the bill is. BTW, it's a 2007 Carrera S with 59,600 miles and recently got its 60k service done in which the shop checked the system thoroughly and did not find any play or leaks.
Old 08-03-2018, 07:55 PM
Caughtacab911
Instructor

Originally Posted by Skyhawk172
Did they also wash it if so then I think you did well. not all of us are gear heads. and was it OME parts?
Actually no - it was quite dirty :-) When I picked it up after hours someone else was dropping off his trailered Cayman GTS for some service before heading to Mont Tremblant. I remarked that the car was dirty but I'll take it in exchange for honest service at what is (presumably) a lower cost outcome. He agreed - he's been taking his P-cars there for 20 years.
Old 08-03-2018, 08:19 PM
Skyhawk172
Burning Brakes

Received 62 Likes on 51 Posts

My Dealership does a complimentary car wash and with all that coolant on the back bumper I thought they would at least wash your car.
Old 08-05-2018, 03:14 PM
JQ911
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

40k - replaced clutch pedal switch and HPFP and repair PCM
80k - replaced brake pads, flush and fill, and new spark plugs
101k currently - aside from the regular oil and filter changes, no record of water pump replacement except for check pressure no leaks. Looks like I need to schedule one soon as preventive maintenance. I am scheduled to drive to LA and NV in a few months
Old 08-06-2018, 01:24 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,006 Likes on 714 Posts

Originally Posted by JQ911
40k - replaced clutch pedal switch and HPFP and repair PCM
80k - replaced brake pads, flush and fill, and new spark plugs
101k currently - aside from the regular oil and filter changes, no record of water pump replacement except for check pressure no leaks. Looks like I need to schedule one soon as preventive maintenance. I am scheduled to drive to LA and NV in a few months
Do it. And I agree with Petza914, have them do the serpentine belt too while they're at it. Won't cost much more. As I said in an earlier post, the pump on my -09 C4S failed at 40K miles so there's no way I would head out into the desert roads with a 101K mile water pump. But that's just me...
Old 08-14-2018, 01:58 PM
JQ911
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge
Do it. And I agree with Petza914, have them do the serpentine belt too while they're at it. Won't cost much more. As I said in an earlier post, the pump on my -09 C4S failed at 40K miles so there's no way I would head out into the desert roads with a 101K mile water pump. But that's just me...
I agree. Thanks

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Water pump failure - fortunate outcome