Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

your first 911 - start affordable or go all out?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2018, 10:39 PM
It'sGoTime
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default your first 911 - start affordable or go all out?

All,
I've aspired to buy a 911 a couple of times before, but hope to be able to make it happen within the next year. Over the past couple of years, I've decided my ideal 911 would be a 997GTS with PDK. Unfortunately, these have been creeping up in price during this time, although I did find a high mileage one in TX for under 60K (my maximum price range). If you were buying your first 911 (as a weekend fun car, not a daily driver) would you go all out on the nicest one you could afford, or would you start out affordable and "trade up" over time? I'm not a huge fan of the looks of the 996, but it provides a lot of fun for around 20K. Similarly, a 997.1 4S gives a great 997 experience for at least 15K less than the GTS. What direction would you go for your first 911?

Old 07-24-2018, 11:15 PM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

When it was time for my first 911.. the only two I seriously considered were GT3 and GTS. 2.5 years later and I am happy that I purchased the GTS and relieved I didn't try to save money going with a 997.2 Carrera S. I too saw prices rising on GTS and moved to get the car ASAP as I didn't want to be priced out.

Different folks have different amounts of risk they will accept. Seldom is buying a more inexpensive (aka cheaper) 911 saving money. It's more a matter of long term costs, resale value, upkeep/maintenance, and probability of catastrophic failure (and even at that, you can pick your poison.. PDK gearboxes have failed, 997.1 and 996 engines have their fair share of failures (just google it man)) so its a matter of deciding what costs you're comfortable with as well as your performance and usage expectations. You might pick any one of these and have no problems, of course the likelihood for that is highest.

Is a $40k 997.1 that ends up with bore scoring and needs a $20k engine rebuild cheaper than a $60k 997.2? Obviously not. But if you have a $12k PDK failure is that cheaper than a $40k 997.1 that ends up continuing to lose value? Hard to say. Buy the car you're most comfortable with! There is the consideration of resale value too. Certain 911 hold more value than others. Sometimes buying a GT3 will cost you less over time than buying a Carrera/S/GTS.. due to depreciation. If I'd bought a 991 Carrera at the time for the same money as I paid for my 997 GTS I'd have lost decent chunk in depreciation. I could sell my car now for at least what I've paid for it.. that simply wouldn't be the case with a Carrera or Carrera S of the same model year or even a 991.1. 991.1 Carrera/S haven't done well as far as depreciation.

I wouldn't compare a 997.1 4S to a GTS at all, older car, different engine, AWD. Try to drive as many as you can early on so you can eliminate some guesswork.
Old 07-24-2018, 11:29 PM
Skwerl
Drifting

Received 303 Likes on 185 Posts

Go all out. Like Fined says, what you pay up front will probably return dividends on resale and upkeep, and plus you may get more pride in ownership. Trading up is a hassle, too - losing money on taxes, depreciation, maintenance, and then having to deal with picky Porsche guys when you try to sell it. I got a decent deal on my Turbo due to the mileage and I like the car but often wish I had just held out and paid $10-15k more and gotten one with fewer miles and special options so I could truly love it.

Last edited by Skwerl; 07-24-2018 at 11:51 PM.
Old 07-24-2018, 11:33 PM
jaykkub
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I think it comes down to what’ll make you happy. I’ve been lusting over a 911 for 25-30 years. I was dead set on purchasing a 993, but with the prices nowadays I was priced out on the WB variants (C4S, C2S, Turbo). I had a shot 14 years, but passed on a 993 Turbo for 64k. I’m still mad about it.

I started looking heavily again about 9 months ago and just recently purchased a 997.1 Turbo. It may not be the 993 that I wanted, but I can’t deny that the car makes me happy and was in my price range...the upper-end unfortunately
Old 07-24-2018, 11:50 PM
Balr14
Burning Brakes

Received 166 Likes on 112 Posts

If you don't buy the most car you can afford you will always have second thoughts.
Old 07-24-2018, 11:57 PM
doclouie
Three Wheelin'

Received 188 Likes on 124 Posts

Buy the newest car you can afford. A clean car with a good history of maintenance is usually a cheaper car in the long run. Regret costs so much more than money ever will.
Old 07-25-2018, 09:21 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,171 Likes on 3,935 Posts

Sounds like you've identified the car you want. Buying anything different will always have you saying I wish this or I wish that... Find the one you lust after for no regrets.
Old 07-25-2018, 09:47 AM
It'sGoTime
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

petza914, yes, I'd love the 997GTS......I just have a hard time justifying it rationally when I could get a somewhat similar 997S for a good bit cheaper. As others on 997GTS threads have said, I just love those centerlock wheels, unique accents, and widebody with rear wheel drive of the GTS...
Old 07-25-2018, 09:55 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,580 Likes on 987 Posts

All my Porsche purchases have been on the affordable side. But if I had more money, I would have gone up in class to S or GTS...

Have you test driven these cars yet? If not, go and test drive them.
Old 07-25-2018, 09:55 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,171 Likes on 3,935 Posts

Originally Posted by It'sGoTime
petza914, yes, I'd love the 997GTS......I just have a hard time justifying it rationally when I could get a somewhat similar 997S for a good bit cheaper. As others on 997GTS threads have said, I just love those centerlock wheels, unique accents, and widebody with rear wheel drive of the GTS...
If you do your own work on your cars, the CL wheels are a PITA, which is why track guys that are changing wheels or brake pads frequently convert back to 5-lug. There are also PM parts in that setup like the nubs that the wheels lock onto and you need special long torque wrenches to install or remove the nut. In the 997 generation, even the NB cars are plenty curvy and wide in the rear, like my .1 C2S

The GTS will hold its value better than other models, as a previous poster mentioned.
Old 07-25-2018, 10:20 AM
GT3_ISH
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was in a similar boat at first, but it changed over time. I thought that the only 911 for me was a 997 GT3-RS, regular GT3 at worst. I was completely obsessed with those two cars. I had to discover exactly what it was I was obsessed with in those cars. For me, it turned out to be the aesthetics, as I had never driven either at that point.

This discovery opened up several doors for me. GT3-RS and GT3 prices soared with the rumors of the 991 versions not being offered in a manual trans. I realized that I could just purchase the aero kit for a Carrera and satisfy my vision of what I think it should look like, and that should be enough for me in my first 911. I really only had 3 requirements, 06+ car, no cabs, and 6spd. I found one, I knew it was the one, and I bought it. it's been amazing.

Everyone is different, and the GTS is a great car, with great NA power. You don't have to get super technical, but try to examine what it is you love about 911s, and get the one that suits your likes and wants.
Old 07-25-2018, 11:02 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,418 Likes on 860 Posts

Honestly, how much are you driven by emotions..... what other people have that you don;t have.... what you want to say to others with your purchase?

All Porsche sports cars are really wonderful. Porsche is making consumer product and while there are folks who think that Porsche engineers only care about ultimate design.... well that is phooey. Porsche like Nike and Victoria's Secret know how to make you want just a bit more. Just remember a very sobering fact about Porsche: Their sports cars are more profitable car for car than any other manufacturer in the world. In other words, a Porsche car is simply "not worth it". They are taking all of us.

So, as you lust for more, are you being taken in by Porsche's manipulation or your own weakness?

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 07-25-2018, 11:04 AM
Austin997.2
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts

My first 911 was a 996.2 about 7 years ago which I had for 3 years, they were such a steal at the time. Then I really wanted to move up to the 997.2 mainly for the cosmetic changes, ie the headlights so got one about 4 years ago. Performance wise the 996.2 is very capable and plenty of car. It really all depends on the amount of money you want to spend. If you have any apprehensions about the physical appearance of the 996 go to the 997+.
Old 07-25-2018, 12:18 PM
sailorlite
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Buy once; cry once. Go all out.
Old 07-25-2018, 12:26 PM
Ben Z
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

When I was shopping for mine I was looking at 996's for price reasons, figured I'd get my feet wet and eventually trade up. I would check the dealer inventories daily, and one morning I noticed a 997 I really liked had just been knocked down 10 grand overnight. Even though it was still more than I wanted to spend I jumped on it. That was 9 years ago, I've still got the car, no plans to sell. I put a new engine in it rather than trade for a .2 or 991 because I've driven them and like mine better. I think had I got a 996 to start with I would have spent much more horsetrading by now. As for the kind to get, I don't track the car so my goal was to get what I wanted in terms of color and equipment for the least cost, therefore I was only looking at base cars.

Quick Reply: your first 911 - start affordable or go all out?