Sponsored by:

New!

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2018, 11:34 PM
RadRacer
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New!

Hey everyone. I haven't written in a forum in years. But I haven't had a car I've been excited about in many years. I'm a proud owner of a 2005 997 Carrera S with a sweet-n-low 28,000 miles. Desert car (which is great because the humidity here is in FLA is not conducive to rubber, plastic, paint, and especially metal. Nav is out of date, so my first order of business is to somehow update it the maps. Can I even get that? I'm crossing over from the Corvette brand and I'll say that this car really, really feels like a go-cart in comparison to the lslightly heavier front end feeling of my old C5 Z06 I said goodbye to a few years ago most likely thanks to the rear engine of this guy. . Anyway, thanks for taking the time to read my post.
Old 07-14-2018, 11:42 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 903 Likes on 532 Posts

Congrats brother.
Old 07-14-2018, 11:45 PM
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 46 Posts

Pics or it didn’t happen!
Old 07-15-2018, 12:31 AM
BaileyII
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 91 Posts

Great car. You will love it. Dern hardly any miles. Enjoy.
Old 07-15-2018, 01:19 AM
aaks38
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

I remember 8 years ago when I sold my C5 Z06 and got this car. I didnt miss the Z06 at all and felt like I had finally bought a sports car. Not to take anything away from the vette as its an awesome car in its own regard but it never gave me that special feeling of driving as the 911 does.
Old 07-15-2018, 01:35 AM
RadRacer
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by aaks38
I remember 8 years ago when I sold my C5 Z06 and got this car. I didnt miss the Z06 at all and felt like I had finally bought a sports car. Not to take anything away from the vette as its an awesome car in its own regard but it never gave me that special feeling of driving as the 911 does.
No, agreed. I can't go back, it's just a different rIde altogether. The shifts are also much lighter, gliding in with zero resistance. Plus the tech is far beyond what came in my Z06 built just 2-3 years before this car was produced. It is very basic on the Vette by comparison. I had to get so much aftermarket stuff to get the car to even match what this one has out of the factory. I don't feel this car is far behind with the exception of some bluetooth functionality and a digital gauge cluster. Honestly, I like the analog and the center display tells you everything even though it's not a mini screen like now. I'm very happy.

And yes pictures coming soon but apparently what I uploaded can't be seen yet since I'm new here. Very secure forum I see.
Old 07-15-2018, 01:58 AM
BF951
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

Welcome and congratulations. I've heard that OEM map updates are crazy expensive. If you can live w/o for a bit it would give you time to consider a head unit replacement which IMHO fixes most of the only shortcommings of our model.
Enjoy your ride. Have you opened the door to the garage just to take a peek? Be honest.
Old 07-15-2018, 02:00 AM
BF951
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

Sorry, I was not clear. Modern head-unit with Apple CarPlay, Android Auto, BT. Would give you Maps & Waze capabilities.

Last edited by BF951; 07-15-2018 at 02:01 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 07-15-2018, 09:41 PM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,006 Likes on 714 Posts

Originally Posted by RadRacer
Hey everyone. I haven't written in a forum in years. But I haven't had a car I've been excited about in many years. I'm a proud owner of a 2005 997 Carrera S with a sweet-n-low 28,000 miles. Desert car (which is great because the humidity here is in FLA is not conducive to rubber, plastic, paint, and especially metal. Nav is out of date, so my first order of business is to somehow update it the maps. Can I even get that? I'm crossing over from the Corvette brand and I'll say that this car really, really feels like a go-cart in comparison to the lslightly heavier front end feeling of my old C5 Z06 I said goodbye to a few years ago most likely thanks to the rear engine of this guy. . Anyway, thanks for taking the time to read my post.
Congratulations. Sounds like you're hooked already. Your go-cart reference is a good one. I always felt that taking the seat of a 911 isn't just sitting down in a car seat but you're sort of strapping the car on. Becoming part of it. And I know I've said this before in other threads but worth repeating. If you don't have a bad back and can get your hands on a set of GT2 bucket seats, go for it. That go-cart feeling you seem to appreciate and connection with the car is is amplified multitude with those seats. Many will say they're uncomfortable but again, unless you have back problems or other mobility issues they're every bit as comfortable as any of the other seats imo but add so much more to the overall feel of it all.

Quick Reply: New!