Sponsored by:

PDK Software Update Cost

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2018, 09:34 PM
Dartmouth
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 65 Posts
Default PDK Software Update Cost

Has anyone done this as a single item at a Porsche dealership and how much did it cost?
Old 07-14-2018, 11:01 PM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,041 Likes on 736 Posts

Originally Posted by Dartmouth
Has anyone done this as a single item at a Porsche dealership and how much did it cost?
Hard to keep up with the PDK "updates" and what they amount to. When the PDK on my-09 C4S failed, the replacement unit was supposed to be an updated one and I'm sure it was. Problem was that the updates didn't improve anything. At least not to my likes. Biggest difference was in sport and sport + mode. The what seemed like millisecond shifts with a little pop from the exhaust that I had on the original -09 PDK were gone. Even in sport plus manual mode it just sort of rolled over instead. A lot of people liked this "update" since it was "smoother" but it's not for me. If I want "smooth", I go to sport or if grandma is in the car all the way to normal in auto where it's in 6th gear at 35mph. To me, the earliest PDK's were the best ones. Not the smoothest ones but since when did smoothness become a priority for 911' buyers?
Old 07-14-2018, 11:31 PM
Robocop305
Rennlist Member

Received 462 Likes on 271 Posts

I still have the old PDK software and I won't let Porsche update it. Just like Sandwedge said, pops and harder shifts.
Old 07-15-2018, 09:30 AM
Dial430
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I took my 2010 Carrera S in to have the software updated to the newest Porsche software. The Porsche Dealer charged $250 for the software update. It did not go smoothly. They have to contact Porsche via PIWIS and real time have the software sent over from Germany during the software update, if the system loses power or communication the module can be bricked. At first they said nothing needed to be updated, I asked them to check again and they came back and said they ask Porsche and it did have an update and they would proceed. The dealer said about 1/2 the updates fail and the TCU module has to be replaced!
In my case, 4 hours later they came back and said the TCU module had failed and I would have to replace it for $2100. They kept the vehicle overnight and miraculously the next day, they called me and they were able to "revive" the module, the software update when on and "everything was fine" Not an experience I would want to repeat, but all's well that ends well. Car runs fine and no issues, the car now has the latest software verson and seems to run fine, but I really don't notice any difference in performance either good or bad.
Old 07-15-2018, 11:05 AM
Ptech1
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 36 Posts

Your experience is why I always caution our clients (small Independent Porsche shop) about software updates/calibrations on early PDK cars. Especially when it comes to the cost involved with having to replace the control unit if it crashes/fails. It isn't an uncommon issue, personally had it occur multiple times during my years as a dealership technician. You can literally do everything correct (battery charger on constant programming mode, etc), and use as many tricks as you've learned to combat it, over the years but, just as with any 10+ year old computer, things don't always go as planned. Sometimes they can be brought back to life after hours of trying again and again. If not, the transmission will not operate and the car is a paperweight...
If you have a real concern, then it may be worthwhile to update. Otherwise, enjoy your Porsche PDK as is because you're probably not missing out on much.
The following 2 users liked this post by Ptech1:
HEIL911 (12-16-2020), Perdido (12-18-2020)
Old 07-15-2018, 02:39 PM
gargamel647
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was considering bringing my 2009 Carrera s in for an update. When I'm in sport mode and coming to a stop, It downshifts into 1st to early making you lunge forward before you stop. If I have the car in manual, it doesn't do this. I'm thinking its software because it only does it in sport mode/auto. Anyone else experiencing something similar?
Old 07-15-2018, 03:19 PM
ReelBigAndy
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by gargamel647
I was considering bringing my 2009 Carrera s in for an update. When I'm in sport mode and coming to a stop, It downshifts into 1st to early making you lunge forward before you stop. If I have the car in manual, it doesn't do this. I'm thinking its software because it only does it in sport mode/auto. Anyone else experiencing something similar?
same issue on my 09 C2. I’ll drive in auto but only for normal mode, and switch to manual for sport/sport+. It’s smooth in the only auto mode I use so I’m ok with it, and I also declined the software “update” for the same reasons given above.
Old 07-15-2018, 03:35 PM
E368
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Shifting to first in sport auto mode is exactly why I was thinking of bringing mine in for the update, but, if this is normal then I am cool with it. No need in risking something going wrong for trying to fix how it is supposed to perform. Sport mode auto is 99% awesome, and honestly shifts at exactly the rpm’s that I would with a manual. It’s the shifting back to first gear that just gets funky at times in sport auto, but like you said, it must be software as normal auto mode never does it, and normal/sport/sport plus manual mode never does it either.

I’ll just call it character and appreciate the rawness of it.

And to the OP’s question, my dealer charges 1.5 hrs, so $225 for the update.
Old 07-15-2018, 03:49 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 397 Likes on 271 Posts

The downshift (stall prevention) programming assumes a more aggressive braking profile. Do not stop like a limo driver, instead brake progressively and with more determination and there will be no jerk. It's a sports car after all...

Last edited by ADias; 07-15-2018 at 04:37 PM.
The following users liked this post:
mattbarrett10 (01-22-2024)
Old 07-16-2018, 09:16 AM
kccourter
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 09 does this but only if in sport mode *and* the AC is on. If I push the AC Off switch, it decelerates smoothly in sport mode...
Old 07-16-2018, 10:41 AM
ocgarza
Rennlist Member

Received 149 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
The downshift (stall prevention) programming assumes a more aggressive braking profile. Do not stop like a limo driver, instead brake progressively and with more determination and there will be no jerk. It's a sports car after all...
This.
Old 07-16-2018, 10:43 AM
ocgarza
Rennlist Member

Received 149 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by kccourter
My 09 does this but only if in sport mode *and* the AC is on. If I push the AC Off switch, it decelerates smoothly in sport mode...
Interesting
Old 07-16-2018, 11:21 AM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Received 2,108 Likes on 1,328 Posts

What years are "updates" beneficial for?
Should at 2012 Turbo S require and "Update"?

I know I'd like to have the "relearn" process done whenever I decide to do the tuning, but not sure and "update" is necessary.
Old 07-16-2018, 01:55 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 397 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Swole
What years are "updates" beneficial for?
Should at 2012 Turbo S require and "Update"?

I know I'd like to have the "relearn" process done whenever I decide to do the tuning, but not sure and "update" is necessary.
No!

Now... beyond software updates there is a calibration procedure. After a number of years doing a system calibration might be worthwhile.
Old 07-16-2018, 06:54 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Received 2,108 Likes on 1,328 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
No!

Now... beyond software updates there is a calibration procedure. After a number of years doing a system calibration might be worthwhile.
Yes, the "Relearn" is what I was referring to. I know it'll need that prior to tuning, or least be smart to.

Quick Reply: PDK Software Update Cost