The 997 paint coatings thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2018, 10:33 AM
GT3_ISH
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default The 997 paint coatings thread

What paint coatings have you used?

Nano / ceramic / glass / anything else / consumer or pro grade?

I'll start off by adding that I've used Gtechniq Exo V3 consumer grade with good results, it lasted about 6 months with abusive wash technique and was incredibly hydrophobic I just wish I wouldve held out for a year or so. Recently purchased Cquartz UK to try the second time around.
Old 07-11-2018, 11:18 AM
amplitude
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 15 Posts

We did Opti-Coat Pro on my wife's Evoque (Santorini Black); professionally applied after full paint correction by a local detail shop. After a year of abuse, snow, 100+ degree days and frequent washes it's still going strong.

Have not applied any kind of ceramic coating on the 997 yet; spent the last year doing good old fashioned carnuba until I figure out which glass coating (if any) that I want to go with. I've been looking at CQuartz as a possible candidate; Opti-Coat Pro is also proving it's worth as well, evidenced by it's performance on my wife's car...
Old 07-11-2018, 11:21 AM
HenryPcar
Three Wheelin'

Received 233 Likes on 168 Posts

Subscribed
Old 07-11-2018, 11:27 AM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 158 Posts

I did 22PLE back in early 2015. It's just starting to wear off on the hood and high friction areas from wind and dust. We tried CQuartz but it was not drying well on my paint. 22PLE worked perfectly the first time out. I'm happy with almost 4 seasons and ~13k miles of use and abuse. Money well spent. I'll caveat that if my paint were in better condition on the front clip and hood (many chips) I would have gone with a full PPF first then a coating. This stuff does nothing to prevent chips obviously. Just keep that in mind.

This was the next year. A quick shower during an otherwise sunny Supercar Saturday car show.

Old 07-11-2018, 11:44 AM
karl1672
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Optimum Gloss-Coat (and Opti-Seal, sealant rather than coating) - really like and use the entire product line, especially No Rinse
Old 07-11-2018, 12:29 PM
chuuey
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 28 Posts

I coated my car in CQuartz regular. Consumer level product, very easy to use, accessible and cheap on Amazon, and thus far has stood up to the few washes I have put it through (using Optimum car wash). They say it lasts about 2 years, but I will be using Carpro Reload religiously for extra protection ( alleged 6 months of hydrophobicity). Water beads well and shine is great. Looking to put Gliss on top of it in a few months. Can still do more on the paint correction front as my skills are limited as an at home enthusiast, but given that criteria, I am very happy with the result thus far. Will update in after some time and abuse. Car also stays in a garage that generates a LOT of dust. Over comparable periods, my previous vehicle would have 2x the dust on it from sitting one week.

Also, it is great that I can walk out, foam the car, rinse it down, blow dry and it is perfectly clean without even being touched. Great perk.
Old 07-11-2018, 01:18 PM
kccourter
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just did GTechniq Crystal Serum lite on all three vehicles (wife's Q5, my tundra, and the 997)... Like Chuuey I went fairly light on the paint correction but am very happy with the results!
Wash, clay bar, Hyperpolish on ROP, then alcohol wipe and then ceramic.
On the 997 I took the wheels off, cleaned, and used GTechniq C5 on the inside of the wheel barrels, and crystal serum lite on the outside.

Only a couple of months in but so far, super hydrophobic, bugs and such are much easier to detail or wash off, and it looks great.

Old 07-11-2018, 01:32 PM
jeffleept
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

I've been using optiseal for the last couple years as a drying aide. So every week there's a fresh coat, and I think application actually saves time to the whole wash process, since drying is faster. I think optimum says this lasts about 3-4 months depending on wash technique and outdoor exposure.
Water and (I'm assuming) UV protection are good. However I do notice if there's too much product, the residue could hold onto a little dust when I park outside (although I use way more than recommended, optimum says one pump per panel for drying, I probably use five).
The ease of use and time savings alone using this product trump any of the negatives I've encountered. Amazon just dlivered my new bottle yesterday
Old 07-11-2018, 03:40 PM
bstmusic
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I had Mitch at Mitch's motors do a full paint correction and application of CarPro CQuartz Pro ceramic coating on my 2007 C2. This was back in early March of this year. I've been using the CarPro products to maintain the shine & hydrophobia and am incredibly happy with both Mitch's work and the products I'm using.
Old 07-11-2018, 05:00 PM
GT3_ISH
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That blue does look like it got some added depth with the coating, very nice!
Old 07-11-2018, 05:14 PM
boris_gti
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts

My guy used Feynlab ceramic infused sealant on my car. He applied it this spring, and so far I'm happy.

Here is the video he made:
Facebook Post
Old 07-11-2018, 05:46 PM
latonnelier
Racer

Received 159 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by boris_gti
My guy used Feynlab ceramic infused sealant on my car. He applied it this spring, and so far I'm happy.

Here is the video he made:
https://www.facebook.com/ProTintWind...type=2&theater
WOW!
That finish is spectacular...I gotta try that stuff.
Old 07-12-2018, 02:14 AM
pilfer
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

I have opticoat on the GTS and Golf R and just had 9H applied to the RS4. I've been very happy with the ceramic coatings I've had on all my cars. Had opticoat on my S4 previously as well. I went with 9H this time as it is supposedly more glossy ad durable than opticoat. I'm expecting another couple years of protection on the GTS and then will get it recoated with 9H.

The ease of cleaning the car and the constant look of fresh waxed paint is hard to beat. Also, if the windshield is coated you don't even need to use windshield wipers, the water just glides off when you're driving.
Old 07-12-2018, 03:33 AM
latonnelier
Racer

Received 159 Likes on 79 Posts

Has anyone used these types of products on epoxy (polyester) resin over carbon fiber? Does it maintain the shine of the polished resin? Or does it even work on that type of surface?

(edit) If no one minds me asking; what's the average cost for the work to get the car ready and coating applied?
Old 07-12-2018, 12:06 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,171 Likes on 3,935 Posts

Opti-Seal on everything now, including the boat - so easy to apply and lasts a year or more. On the black cars, Turtle Wax Jet Black kit before the Opti-Seal and yes, I use it over carbon fiber too - mirrors on the 997 and interior trim. Also, doesn't mess up plastic or rubber with overspray - even works on the trim around the windows and plastic mirror housings, etc

Quick Reply: The 997 paint coatings thread