Sponsored by:

Brake squeal

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2023, 10:53 PM
Patrick997.2
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default It’s true

I recently had Textar pads and Zimmerman rotors installed. I had awful squeal from 25mph to a stop. After everything was triple checked and burned in proerly I got exactly the same issue.

I called my local dealer and told them and they said it’s likely the pad material. I explained it was Textar, the OEM supplier. They said that doesn’t mean it’s the same as the Porsche part. I gritted my teeth and ordered Genuine Porsche. I compared the two pads and the aftermarket Textar had larger metallic flakes than the Genuine Porsche part. My mechanic installed the Genuine part and cross-hatched the rotors to start fresh. No squeal at all. Super quiet. I do think the Textars offered superior braking, but I can settle on the genuine part to not squeal.

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
2009 C2S 126K miles

OEM does not necessarily mean that those are Porsche rotors or pads. I almost always buy OEM whatever and save big money, but I remember back... oh about 40K miles ago... when I did my rotors and pads, the pads at Pelican denoted as OEM did not have the little round anti-squeal weights on them despite being Textar brand. Textar is an OEM supplier to Porsche but those weren't the pads that Porsche supplied. Again, I have no problem with OEM and do it all the time but you have to be careful if you really do want a Porsche part. If you do, then you have to be careful when you buy OEM.

BTW, in 18 years and about 300K miles of owning two Porsches as my only, all year car, I never had brake squeal. I know on my Boxster, I had my indy use OEM rotors and pads (so he said and I believe him) one time and those rotors definitely were not Porsche rotors as the hats were not painted and they grew a fine coat of rust. They performed perfectly, but they were not real Porsche rotors.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 11-09-2023, 10:59 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,556 Likes on 4,170 Posts

Street compound pads don't squeal if installed properly and bedded properly, period.
​​​​​

Quick Reply: Brake squeal