Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installed the new General G-Max RS tires - My thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2018 | 06:12 PM
E368
Rennlist Member

Default Installed the new General G-Max RS tires - My thoughts

So, long story short, my new to me (I still need to do a proper introduction w/pics) 997.2 came delivered with Michelin PS2's that were causing some wicked steering issues. After ruling everything else out, I decided to check the easiest and most obvious thing last, instead of first, so I looked at the date code on the front tires. Date code of 2011, yikes! Tread was okay, but sidewalls were starting to show signs of dry-rot, should have been obvious to me but I missed it due to being in awe of owning my dream car.

Anyway, I didn't feel like spending the $1.2M for new PS2's or PS4's right this second, still recovering from spending the registration fees, tax, new head unit, etc., so I opted for these newly introduced General G-Max RS tires.

245/35/19's and 305/30/19's from TireRack delivered to the door for $732.00.

I only have a couple hundred miles on them (if that) as they were just installed a few days ago, but I will say that my steering issues are 1000% (yes, one thousand %) fixed, as in no longer an issue at all, zero, zilch, nada. My steering is FINALLY sublime, as I have read so many times on here. No, really, it actually is incredible!

Anyway, will update this thread as I drive her more and break in the tires.

Thinking these tires may be a good, and even cheaper alternative to the Hankook Ventus tires that are fairly loved here???

Edit: Oh, and this car is used as a daily driver for the wife, and a weekend car for the two of us, a well as occasional weekend getaway trips. Will literally get driven everyday by one or both of us. That played a factor in the tires I chose because of the tread wear rating.

Again, will update this thread with my thoughts as more miles are driven.

Ben
Old 06-24-2018 | 10:06 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Interesting. We run the Hankooks on my wife's car so I'll have to keep them in mind. Let us know hie they are in the rain as that's one of the reasons we use the Hankooks - the directional tread pattern displaces water quite well.
Old 06-24-2018 | 12:55 PM
aaks38
Racer

I bought the AS05 and love them on my X3, Generals i believe are owned and made by Continental tires. But good to hear your feedback as i plan to get these for my M3, with the rebate they are half the Michelins.
Old 06-24-2018 | 03:40 PM
E368
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by aaks38
with the rebate they are half the Michelins.
Rebate? Crap, did I miss out on one?
Old 06-24-2019 | 03:51 PM
SBG200
AutoX

Any updates? I need a new set on my '08 Turbo and I'm curious about noise level. The old Michelins are getting really loud, even on "smooth" surfaces.
Old 06-25-2019 | 02:32 AM
rodH
Rennlist Member

I am always tempted to cheap out on some of these less expensive alternatives. The problem is, I want more performance and not less. When people talk performance, lap times, cornering, braking, etc and they look at a track time and compare times at say Nurburgring, one thing people often forget is that probably 1/2 of the performance increase is in the tires. Our cars were tested with Michelin PS or PS2’s tires. Since then there have been PSS and now the 4s and most of the Porsche GT cars being tested with Cup 2 tires (which are much better on the track). I’m not saying that a 997 base can keep up with a 991 GT3, but what I am saying is that it is also stupid to compare a car with street tire tech from 15 years ago to race tires of today. It is this reason I always look to replace my PSS with cup 2 tires, and then I see the price and then run back into my hole. The problem is, why buy a Porsche and then buy tires that are going to handicap you 5-10% just to save a few hundred dollars on a car that originally cost close to 100k? I understand it for a used 350z or s2000, etc.
The following users liked this post:
PJorgen (07-03-2020)
Old 06-25-2019 | 08:20 AM
jeebus31
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by SBG200
Any updates? I need a new set on my '08 Turbo and I'm curious about noise level. The old Michelins are getting really loud, even on "smooth" surfaces.
I have these on my turbo and for a daily driven car they are great. Perform very well in dry and serviceable in the rain. There’s a bit more road noise than a premium tire but for $700 with the rebate (if still offered), I think they are totally worth a shot.
Old 06-28-2019 | 05:47 PM
SBG200
AutoX

Thanks jeebus31. The roads around here are nasty and I need something that isn't going to give me a headache after an hour on the highway. I'd be curious how much quieter the PS4Ss are though - Tire Rack lists them both very close on "comfort".
Old 06-28-2019 | 06:14 PM
jeebus31
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by SBG200
Thanks jeebus31. The roads around here are nasty and I need something that isn't going to give me a headache after an hour on the highway. I'd be curious how much quieter the PS4Ss are though - Tire Rack lists them both very close on "comfort".
No prob. Probably worth mentioning that I have an aftermarket exhaust and that drowns out most of the road noise. Maybe someone with a stock exhaust with these tires can also comment.
Old 06-29-2019 | 11:26 AM
Steph1
Rennlist Member

I could look them up online, but any way we can get pics to see the tread area??
Old 06-30-2019 | 04:22 PM
jeebus31
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Steph1
I could look them up online, but any way we can get pics to see the tread area??
Here ya go, front tires.

Old 07-01-2019 | 01:26 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Originally Posted by rodH
I am always tempted to cheap out on some of these less expensive alternatives. The problem is, I want more performance and not less. When people talk performance, lap times, cornering, braking, etc and they look at a track time and compare times at say Nurburgring, one thing people often forget is that probably 1/2 of the performance increase is in the tires. Our cars were tested with Michelin PS or PS2’s tires. Since then there have been PSS and now the 4s and most of the Porsche GT cars being tested with Cup 2 tires (which are much better on the track). I’m not saying that a 997 base can keep up with a 991 GT3, but what I am saying is that it is also stupid to compare a car with street tire tech from 15 years ago to race tires of today. It is this reason I always look to replace my PSS with cup 2 tires, and then I see the price and then run back into my hole. The problem is, why buy a Porsche and then buy tires that are going to handicap you 5-10% just to save a few hundred dollars on a car that originally cost close to 100k? I understand it for a used 350z or s2000, etc.
I can only speak for myself but in a situation where I never track my car and probably only utilize 70-75% of the performance potential of the car, it doesn't make sense to spend hundreds more for tires whose only benefit is at 9/10ths and above. Especially when that unused performance comes at the cost of much faster wear and poor performance at lower temperatures or in the rain.

The more expensive tire isn't always the best choice, and spending more for capabilities that will never be used is a waste of money.

I've run 3 sets of Hankooks on my 997.2 and been perfectly happy. I am currently running PS4s because everyone acted like they are the holy grail of tiredom. They're great so far, but for my driving I haven't noticed any capability that has been worth the price differential over my Hankooks or Bridgestones.

I haven't had them very long, but I suspect my next tires will be Hankooks again. YMMV.
The following 2 users liked this post by Iceter:
adamo (05-05-2020), hollywood1053 (07-01-2019)
Old 05-05-2020 | 01:20 PM
Phrog Phlyer
Rennlist Member

E368 - Ben - It's goin' on 2 years with the General tires - How do you still like them? Did they get noisier with age? Total miles on them, and any regrets?

Thanks

Last edited by Phrog Phlyer; 05-05-2020 at 01:41 PM.
Old 05-05-2020 | 01:34 PM
lowbee
Rennlist Member

I just put on a new set of General G-max RS in the weekend. Took it for a short drive and find them smoother and quieter than my old Michelin. Will report back on stickiness when I have more seat time
Old 05-05-2020 | 03:05 PM
ogun228
Rennlist Member

I, too, took the plunge after wondering if it wasn't going to be a mistake
i would pay for rather soon. Had the General GS-Rx installed last week
replacing the Michelin PSS..
200 miles later, I am glad I took the chance, since I never tracked my car
and stopped auto xing 3 years ago. Car is '09 C2S Cab PDK. So far, I am
pleasantly satisfied with the comfort, noise and handling levels. I just have
to build my confidence in them and I think this is also happening rather quickly.
The saving was abt $600.00 vs the Michelin 4S, a not negligible sum. With
the rebate of $70.00, they were an attractive choice.
The following users liked this post:
paddlefoot64 (05-05-2020)

Quick Reply: Installed the new General G-Max RS tires - My thoughts