Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installed the new General G-Max RS tires - My thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2020, 05:43 PM
lurchphil
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I was considering the General option but found an interesting Cooper option on Tire-Rack. I installed Cooper Zion RS3 245 35 19's on the front and 325 30 19's on the rear of my 2011 GTS. My friend installed the same tires on his 2012 Carrera S. After 1500 miles or so, I really like them. Since they were on Close-out, we paid only $573.36 delivered to Utah and Arizona. Quiet and well-mannered. Balanced very well.
Old 05-05-2020, 06:51 PM
mujeriega
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 47 Posts

In my experience, new / fresh tires are always superior to old worn out tires. It almost does not make a difference which ones you pick as long as they are in the same category and are of decent quality. I love my PS4S's but if you can constantly change tires out to get fresh ones (every 4-6 yrs) because they cost half of what the top of the line are, I think you'll have an overall happier driving experience.

Another less expensive tire to consider in addition to the General G-MAX RS is the Falken Azenis FK510

However, if price is not an issue, of course go for the top of the line.

The following users liked this post:
uncle_sam (07-04-2020)
Old 05-06-2020, 06:57 PM
Bradinthe56
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

The way I look at performance tires and 'the limit' is this: If your tire choice brings 'the limit' down 10%, then all those on ramps and off ramps and other roads that you push your car on will just be that much more exciting.
Old 05-06-2020, 08:13 PM
RacerWannabe
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 57 Posts

The only thing I have concern about for a DD is braking distances - if not tracking the car, that would be my only concern about tires
Old 05-06-2020, 09:10 PM
lowbee
Rennlist Member

Received 395 Likes on 246 Posts

Less than 60 miles on these tires and I can already tell they performed better than the PS2 in 50 degree F temperature. Like them so far
Old 05-06-2020, 09:17 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Looks like General is owned by Continental, which makes me less worried about quality and safety issues. Would look into these if needed. I'd just stay away from Chinese tires, a few friends on cheap Chinese tires have had horrific experiences including blow outs so if going cheap, ensure it's a reputable tire manufacturer!
Old 05-06-2020, 09:55 PM
Pilot Sport 4S
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Generals and Hankooks on a Porsche. Like wearing sandals from Walmart with an Armani suit. Sorry, but nothing beats the all round street performance (and let's not even talk about track) of the Michelins: Wet, Dry, Lateral, Braking, Acceleration, Comfort and Wear.
Old 05-07-2020, 01:20 AM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 376 Likes on 202 Posts

OP... Didn't your PPI mention the old tires?
So you upgraded the stereo and then thought about the cost of tires.
I understand not needing the grip all thee time and only pushing it so far. But, that extra grip will sure be nice when a deer jumps out in front pf you or a teenager texting and you need to swerve
to save yourself, and others.

The cost of the tires amortized over the life of the tire is pretty minor given the premium we pay for everything else with these cars.

Old 05-07-2020, 10:34 AM
mpath
Racer

Received 128 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Hella-Buggin'
OP... Didn't your PPI mention the old tires?
So you upgraded the stereo and then thought about the cost of tires.
I understand not needing the grip all thee time and only pushing it so far. But, that extra grip will sure be nice when a deer jumps out in front pf you or a teenager texting and you need to swerve
to save yourself, and others.

The cost of the tires amortized over the life of the tire is pretty minor given the premium we pay for everything else with these cars.
This ^

As much as we'd like to think we're rational and logical beings, we can't deny our emotions play a huge factor. Want better music, nav and Carplay interface in our cars? Plunk a few grand without thought. Then we hum and haw over a few hundred dollars between tires.
Old 05-07-2020, 11:56 AM
lowbee
Rennlist Member

Received 395 Likes on 246 Posts

A few posters assume this is all about cost (and saving a few bucks) but my decision wasn't driven by price, price factor was about 20% weight in my decision process to go with G-Max. I wanted to experience for myself (after reading good reviews from experience members on this forum) what the G-Max tires are like. I replaced with Michelin PS2 twice before and I want to be adventurous and try something else to see for myself how good or not-so-good these Michelin are and how much of it is pure hype and he-says as I usually don't render an opinion unless I have direct experience with a product

Having an ultra high performance summer tire to perform better than Michelin PS2/4S in 50 degree F temperature was a major (> 40%) motivation for me, having a tire with slightly softer sidewall (not as soft as Hankooks) was another (20%) consideration. I attribute the last 20% of my decision process to wanting to be adventurous and experimental. My thinking was if I end up hating the G-Max tires, I could always get Michelin 4S and lose a few hundreds dollars reselling the G-Max to someone, I am totally prepared to do that when/if that day come. This "experiment" might end up costing me more $$ but I am good with that.

Last edited by lowbee; 05-07-2020 at 12:23 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by lowbee:
heavysixer22 (07-02-2020), RacerWannabe (05-07-2020)
Old 05-07-2020, 12:20 PM
jeebus31
Three Wheelin'

Received 422 Likes on 233 Posts

^ Bingo. Don't knock it until you try it.

I don't understand why people are crapping on a decision to get a tire with longer treadwear, good/great performance, acceptable noise because it doesn't come from Michelin and costs less. I have 5k miles on mine and they are performing as expected. The wear is right on point and they balance just fine. I kept up with a GT3 in the twisties last weekend wearing PS cups. Reading some of these opinions you'd think these tires would have me skidding off the road at every turn....
The following users liked this post:
RacerWannabe (05-07-2020)
Old 07-02-2020, 12:52 PM
m32
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 146 Posts

For those with these tires, would you say they are more round or square on the sidewall?

Edwin
Old 07-03-2020, 06:54 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

I personally wouldn't put General tires on a Porsche, but that's OP's choice. Being owned by Continental tires, they cannot be that bad. At least it's not one of those Chinese tires sold at Walmart.
Old 07-03-2020, 07:46 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Received 2,272 Likes on 1,190 Posts

My experience with tire "experimentation" - several years ago I decided I couldn't deal with the premium for Michelins anymore. Tried Continentals. Nittos. Yokohamas. Bridgestones.

Initially (first few thousand miles) - they all seemed good.

Then came the surprises. Noise. Odd wear. More noise. Surprises in the rain. More ridiculous noise.

Perhaps there are some decent alternatives to Michelins - however I'm done experimenting with tires. I don't have problems with Michelin tires. Ever.

Michelins only on the 911.

Old 07-03-2020, 10:40 PM
jeebus31
Three Wheelin'

Received 422 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by alexb76
I personally wouldn't put General tires on a Porsche, but that's OP's choice. Being owned by Continental tires, they cannot be that bad. At least it's not one of those Chinese tires sold at Walmart.
They actually aren't bad at all but hey it's your money

Also put them on my E55 and they are spectacular on that car as well.

Quick Reply: Installed the new General G-Max RS tires - My thoughts