Sponsored by:

Rattle rattle rattle

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2018, 10:56 PM
ThomasShawn
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Rattle rattle rattle

OK. I know rattles.suck, a lot of people have them but they drive me bezerk whether it's a 30k or a 140k car. I also know every car is different. But some sources of rattles are more common. So before I go mad searching, I though I'd ask.

07 TT. Rattles appear to come from some area deeper than the surface of the dash just above and behind the ignition. At times I think I it's behind the gauges but others it seems like it's 2 inches back into the dash. It's a higher frequency plastic on plastic vs a loose screw in plastic type sound.

If i push REALLY HARD above the ignition switch I can imagine it's better but can't tell for sure. It's non-existant or almost so, below about 15 or 20mph.

It's a Longshot but hoping for some direction

Thanks

It's not the vent. Almost to the right of that and above ignition.

Sometimes I think it's the speaker covers until I put my hand between the covers and the dash and it seems like it's more dash.
Old 06-23-2018, 12:30 PM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Received 444 Likes on 161 Posts

Do you have a replacement windshield? Sometimes if they install the windshield a little crooked the dash will rub on the windshield. My center speaker was rubbing on the windshield. I fixed it by removing the speaker grill and putting some felt on it. Eventually when I got a new windshield I realized the prior installer had just f'd up the install. My new windshield has a much larger gap between the dash and glass.
Old 06-23-2018, 01:21 PM
bmwfan328
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

pull out gauge cluster, felt tape all around, reinstall, enjoy your rattle free (for now) turbo.
Old 06-23-2018, 01:26 PM
ThomasShawn
Rennlist Member

Original glass to my knowledge
Gauge cluster is first line of attack for my research
Thanks
Old 06-24-2018, 08:56 PM
ThomasShawn
Rennlist Member

So my gauge cluster had already been partially wrapped in foam. So I finished the job covering the areas that weren't covered from the TSB.
I also added a little foam to the top sections as well because the lower foam was causing the upper part to rub now. In addition I had some lubricant made for plastic surfaces. I used that sparingly at the junction of the Grey face and the black rear section. The grey holds the lenses and just clips onto the black. I did this because when I gently flexed the cluster that was a similar sound to what I'd been hearing. I put that lubricant around the entire gauge, and in the grooves of all the clips. Anywhere the two pieces met.

I also pulled the cover that sits below the left vent and covered the same pins and clips as the TSB for the gauge. It seemed to be that creak that I just couldn't get my hands on.

Went for a drive and it was 90% better. But it allowed me to isolate another high frequency spot where my left knee would hit the dash if I pulled the seats all the way forward. If I pushed there it stopped. So I came home to learn I needed to pull the entire lower dash to get to that spot. (Next post will have the Pic because it's inserting pyxis in weird spots and I Can't move them.) I had some rubbery foam I attached to the two aluminum struts that support the lower dash. I also covered the dash panel in felt where the struts and thay rubber would touch. I put felt on a few a/c conduits that touched other parts of the car and generally just looked for any loose or closely positioned pieces.

Buttoned everything back up and took it down a county road that my wife says will make a rattle-trap out of even a new car. It was almost completely silent. Maybe totally silent but I wasn't sure if I imagined a few brief rattles but they went away so fast I couldn't be sure. Therefore, insignificant

So for me it was gauges plus the side piece below the vent plus the entire lower dash essentially bouncing off the aluminum support struts.

Hope this helps someone

Pic in on next post
Old 06-24-2018, 08:57 PM
ThomasShawn
Rennlist Member

This aluminum brace/steut for the dash was the source of the sound as the dash bounced against it

Black foam rubber stuck to brace fixed the problem
Old 07-11-2018, 04:49 PM
Floyd Landis
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Can anyone show me to the TSB report on the rattle?
Old 11-17-2018, 07:26 AM
Dhari
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds normal they all rattle and tick to different degrees get it checked out just in case, good luck

Quick Reply: Rattle rattle rattle