Sponsored by:

Crackles and Pops like a 991

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2018, 05:59 PM
WantA997
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by JCD911S
None of the exhaust videos posted for the 997 have any real pops to them. The exhaust sounds may burble and crackle, but they don't have any true pops.
The irony here is that those "true" pops as you refer to them as are in fact artificial and 100% due to the ECU programming. And in my opinion, real burbles and crackles sound infinitely better than those fake pops you hear on most new cars today. I can't imagine why anyone in their right mind would go out of their way to make their car sound like that.
Old 06-26-2018, 06:42 PM
JCD911S
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by WantA997
The irony here is that those "true" pops as you refer to them as are in fact artificial and 100% due to the ECU programming. And in my opinion, real burbles and crackles sound infinitely better than those fake pops you hear on most new cars today. I can't imagine why anyone in their right mind would go out of their way to make their car sound like that.
The condition for creating the after-burn may be artificially induced by programming, but there's nothing artificial about those pops caused by real combustion occurring outside the cylinder and in the exhaust system.

"Why" anyone would want this can be another thread. The original post is for "how".

It can't be unimaginable if the Porsche engineers made the new cars sound like that straight from the factory, even though they can be out of their mind sometimes.
Old 06-26-2018, 07:02 PM
WantA997
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JCD911S
It can't be unimaginable if the Porsche engineers made the new cars sound like that straight from the factory, even though they can be out of their mind sometimes.
The fact that Carreras make these pops but the GT cars don't says it all.
Old 06-26-2018, 07:23 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,249 Likes on 784 Posts

As mentioned above, the pops are caused by real unburnt fuel being expelled into the hot exhaust system, just like you hear in a race car. The part that is different is the reason that the unburnt fuel ends up there in the first place. The 991 series cars achieve this through ECU programming (as do new Ferraris, Lamborghinis, Jaguars, etc.) as opposed to advancing the timing for racing conditions.

Fortunately the 991 pops sound much better than the VW in that video. It's also nice that you can disable them by pushing a button.

Here's an example of how it sounds on the new Jag F-Type:

Here's an example of taking it a bit too far (in my opinion) on a 991 Turbo S:

Old 06-26-2018, 07:26 PM
roman944
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

seems like a lot of people are happy with their AWE and Fabspeed setups?
Old 06-26-2018, 07:47 PM
WantA997
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dennis C
Here's an example of taking it a bit too far (in my opinion) on a 991 Turbo S:
The F-Type is the epitome of taking it too far (my brother has one--it's terrible). And though you reference this sound as something found on race cars, last I checked no Cup car makes these noises (nor do 458 GT3s, AMG GT3s, etc.). This just furthers my point that this stuff is nothing more than a gimmick designed to draw in the type of customer who thinks (or wants to think) his Carrera is "race-derived" (this is not at all in reference to you), which is completely ironic given that real race cars don't sound like this. Again, the fact that you don't find this nonsense on GT cars speaks volumes.

Anyway, back on topic...
Old 06-26-2018, 09:42 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

The F-Type is the epitome of taking it too far (my brother has one--it's terrible). And though you reference this sound as something found on race cars, last I checked no Cup car makes these noises (nor do 458 GT3s, AMG GT3s, etc.). This just furthers my point that this stuff is nothing more than a gimmick designed to draw in the type of customer who thinks (or wants to think) his Carrera is "race-derived" (this is not at all in reference to you), which is completely ironic given that real race cars don't sound like this. Again, the fact that you don't find this nonsense on GT cars speaks volumes.

Anyway, back on topic...
I definitely agree with you on the Jag!

As for the overrun noises, think about a Formula 1 car. They produce considerable overrun pops and chatter from the exhaust when they decelerate and downshift. Obviously the 911 will never sound like an F1 car, but I think the Porsche marketing group (and their competitors) are trying to go for something reminiscent of that sound. There are definitely overrun pops in many proper race cars.

It's a moot point anyway. Soon they will be electric and we'll just hear a hum of the electric motor and tire noise.

Old 06-26-2018, 09:44 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Any F1 fan will remember the "blown diffuser" design pioneered by Red Bull in 2010/2011. It was hideous!

Old 06-27-2018, 02:50 PM
OnlineAlias
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dennis C
I definitely agree with you on the Jag!

As for the overrun noises, think about a Formula 1 car. They produce considerable overrun pops and chatter from the exhaust when they decelerate and downshift. Obviously the 911 will never sound like an F1 car, but I think the Porsche marketing group (and their competitors) are trying to go for something reminiscent of that sound. There are definitely overrun pops in many proper race cars.

It's a moot point anyway. Soon they will be electric and we'll just hear a hum of the electric motor and tire noise.

Modern race cars have overrun pops programed in to actually perform some duty. F1 cars are using it create anti-lag for the turbo, among a million other reasons such as charging the ERS's battery. Back in the day, it was for the blown diffuser.

You can be certain, however, that every single noise you hear from an F1 car is directly associated with saving fuel/energy and wouldn't be there otherwise. So in essence, any pop that an F1 car makes is "fake" by definition.
Old 06-27-2018, 03:16 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Interesting
Old 06-27-2018, 03:54 PM
GT3_ISH
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

And though you reference this sound as something found on race cars, last I checked no Cup car makes these noises (nor do 458 GT3s, AMG GT3s, etc.). This just furthers my point that this stuff is nothing more than a gimmick designed to draw in the type of customer who thinks (or wants to think) his Carrera is "race-derived" (this is not at all in reference to you), which is completely ironic given that real race cars don't sound like this. Again, the fact that you don't find this nonsense on GT cars speaks volumes.

Anyway, back on topic...
I get what you're saying, but it might be better stated that a lot of "race cars" used to sound like this. That is why we've ended up with these artificial gimmicks in the consumer market.

Just give me the natural stuff, a pop between gear changes, a few pops if I blip it on decel, thats all I need.
Old 06-27-2018, 04:46 PM
OnlineAlias
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GT3_ISH
I get what you're saying, but it might be better stated that a lot of "race cars" used to sound like this. That is why we've ended up with these artificial gimmicks in the consumer market.

Just give me the natural stuff, a pop between gear changes, a few pops if I blip it on decel, thats all I need.
In the end, it just sounds cool...and I like it too. When the fake racecar sound thing comes up, I always think of this. This car only has the computer code changed.

Old 06-27-2018, 05:27 PM
shekmark
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I like crackles and pops. Alot.
Old 07-03-2018, 07:32 PM
spyder918
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you looked into FVD? A buddy of mine has one on his '13 Boxster and it crackles/pops like crazy. Only thing bad is the slight drone. Not sure what would it sound like on a 997 though.
Old 07-12-2018, 07:20 AM
flsupraguy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,439 Likes on 777 Posts

I'm surprised none of the tuning companies offer over run on their ECU tunes for the 997

Quick Reply: Crackles and Pops like a 991