Sponsored by:

997 low oil pressure

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2019, 03:45 AM
Appraiser
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bgoetz
Clearly those guys should have drained the oil and checked the filter before trashing things even more. I will say that IMO, they did not cause the issue from a couple simple autox events, I would venture a guess that the spun bearing originated some time earlier, possibly from some hard track events or a screw up with oil levels/the oiling system.

I don’t think one autox by what I would guess a guy who is not that great at autox could cause the type of starvation that would result in a spun bearing. Now a history of autox with or track time with someone proficient behind the wheel and no baffle could, which is possibly what that car was subjected to with a prior owner.

I think a baffle in the 997 or any car that is tracked is a good idea, that said I know lots of guys who run street tires, just having fun and have no baffle on the 997 or 987 and have had zero issues.

With respect to the deep sump/baffle, I guess I am curious what that solves that a baffle wouldn’t. These cars hold a crap ton of oil, is it that the pickup is too close to the bottom of the pan?

To answer the question asked, I would check the filter and send an oil sample off, they never posted their blackstone, but a bearing problem should definitely show up as high lead/copper
Hey Goetz, gonna check the filter on Wednesday when the next paper unit comes in. Will do the blackstone analysis during the full oil changer soon after.

As for the extra capacity in addition to the baffles; in addition to the extra cooling capacity (which is overkill) it needs an extraordinary assumption; if debris 'enters' or becomes evident in engine oil at a fixed rate, then I see the extra capacity doing two things; 1) reducing the saturation timeline, and with that 2) cleaner/more effective lubrication i.e. if 12 arbitrary units of debris is evident in 9 quarts of oil over a 1,000 mile interval ( 1.3 per quart) then 12 units of debris in 10.5 quarts of oil would be 'cleaner' by volume (1.14 per quart) over the same 1,000 mile interval should mean then that there is fewer opportunities and/or fewer debris volume coming into contact with other parts over the same period of time. But I'm not an engineer, just a rationale leap, maybe it's completely off base.
Old 01-22-2019, 10:52 AM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Received 467 Likes on 166 Posts

I just popped into the garage a second ago and put the ignition into the 'on' position, not cranking the car over, and saw the oil pressure needle go up to 1.1 bar. Would/could this be indicative of a faulty sensor?
Yup. There is your problem. That gauge shouldn't move. That's excellent.

And yes, your temps and pressure seem fine. Ive had mine up to 245 on a long mountain pass and pressure got down to .9 bar at idle.
Old 09-13-2019, 02:52 AM
Phil Stainthorp
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JABowders
I am about to install the center radiator in mine, I was thinking about adding a pair of small electric fans switched by a temp sensor to add air flow during times a slow/no speed.

The few times I have tracked mine I noticed that I was able to increase the normal temps quite a bit and I noticed the oil pressure drop with the increased temps, once cooled to normal operations the oil pressure returns to normal but I do start to "worry" until the temps and pressure settle back to normal.

I feel with you and wish you the best of luck with resolving the issue, I only with I had more experience with it to share.
JABowders, did you end up fitting the centre with the fans? I have the centre rad and was thinking of doing similar with fans but couldn't find anyone who has done it before or has at least lived to tell the tale.

Quick Reply: 997 low oil pressure