Metal Shavings in the Oil - Page 3 - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Notices
997 Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Metal Shavings in the Oil

Old 06-13-2018, 09:51 PM
  #31  
rednerrus
User
Thread Starter
 
rednerrus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 99
Default

Originally Posted by DesmoSD View Post
Here is an engine if you're interested

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2007-Porsch...cAAOSwNNVbFXrt
Thanks. Id probably go for a 4.0.
rednerrus is offline  
Old 06-13-2018, 10:04 PM
  #32  
qikqbn
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
qikqbn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 331
Default

well, if you drop the pan then i would definitely change oil again and inspect filter. There will be oil trapped in the oil canister with the filter. best to get that out and look again.

Come to think of it... I had a friend who had a similar situation. He did a couple of oil changes over a couple of weeks to clear out as many shavings as possible. His shavings cleared up and got cleaned out. He has not seen metal shavings like that again in his oil filters ever since and that was like a year ago and 2 more oil changes. He never cracked open the motor either, even though it's recommended. We have no idea how much time you have. It could be years, or maybe weeks. Hard to say.

This is where the "guessing" gets us in trouble. I would love to tell ya to drop the pan and search for any "larger chunks". If none are found then do a couple of oil changes in a short amount of time over a few days to get those shavings cleared out. If you don't see any shavings, then you may be in the clear for a little while. Do another oil change in a few weeks and inspect that. If all in the clear.. maybe go a bit longer.... etc.... etc... If all is good, maybe try to get a warranty. I am just thinking out loud at this moment.

The last thing any of us want to do is give you bad advice. I know the engine rebuilds are damn expensive and many of us have way better things to invest 25k in. We feel for ya and hope this is just a minor fluke . At some point in the future you will need to figure out the source of those shavings.
qikqbn is offline  
Old 06-14-2018, 01:50 AM
  #33  
dgjks6
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
dgjks6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 2,014
Default

Most common failures are

1-IMS
2-bore scoring

Drop the pan
Scope the cylinders.

Neither is expensive and may give you a diagnosis

As for the extended warranty, not now. They ask if you have any problems or suspect anything. I guess you could lie and try to get away with it. Or keep driving it, do a couple more oil changes, hope the metal goes away and the engine does not blow. If both those happen you could get a warranty with a clear conscience.

When this happened to me, it was the IMS. I replaced the bearing and did frequent oil changes. I got messages from both LN and flat 6 that I was on borrowed time. They weren't try to sell me anything, just warning me about all the collateral damage and risking to core. So I went for the rebuild.

Don't feel bad about the cost. I invested over $40,000 in a 996 in 27 months.
dgjks6 is offline  
Old 06-14-2018, 05:54 AM
  #34  
rednerrus
User
Thread Starter
 
rednerrus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 99
Default

Originally Posted by qikqbn View Post
well, if you drop the pan then i would definitely change oil again and inspect filter. There will be oil trapped in the oil canister with the filter. best to get that out and look again.

Come to think of it... I had a friend who had a similar situation. He did a couple of oil changes over a couple of weeks to clear out as many shavings as possible. His shavings cleared up and got cleaned out. He has not seen metal shavings like that again in his oil filters ever since and that was like a year ago and 2 more oil changes. He never cracked open the motor either, even though it's recommended. We have no idea how much time you have. It could be years, or maybe weeks. Hard to say.

This is where the "guessing" gets us in trouble. I would love to tell ya to drop the pan and search for any "larger chunks". If none are found then do a couple of oil changes in a short amount of time over a few days to get those shavings cleared out. If you don't see any shavings, then you may be in the clear for a little while. Do another oil change in a few weeks and inspect that. If all in the clear.. maybe go a bit longer.... etc.... etc... If all is good, maybe try to get a warranty. I am just thinking out loud at this moment.

The last thing any of us want to do is give you bad advice. I know the engine rebuilds are damn expensive and many of us have way better things to invest 25k in. We feel for ya and hope this is just a minor fluke . At some point in the future you will need to figure out the source of those shavings.
Originally Posted by dgjks6 View Post
Most common failures are

1-IMS
2-bore scoring

Drop the pan
Scope the cylinders.

Neither is expensive and may give you a diagnosis

As for the extended warranty, not now. They ask if you have any problems or suspect anything. I guess you could lie and try to get away with it. Or keep driving it, do a couple more oil changes, hope the metal goes away and the engine does not blow. If both those happen you could get a warranty with a clear conscience.

When this happened to me, it was the IMS. I replaced the bearing and did frequent oil changes. I got messages from both LN and flat 6 that I was on borrowed time. They weren't try to sell me anything, just warning me about all the collateral damage and risking to core. So I went for the rebuild.

Don't feel bad about the cost. I invested over $40,000 in a 996 in 27 months.
Really appreciate the responses guys. I guys I'll drop the oil pan, inspect that and do a couple of oil changes and go from there. How much do shops charge to scope the cylinders? Do you guys recommend me driving the car at all? I mean Id have to drive it if Im gonna try to flush out these shavings right?
rednerrus is offline  
Old 06-14-2018, 12:33 PM
  #35  
TheBruce
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
TheBruce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 983
Default

Here is my post from last year on the aluminum bits I found and tips and steps to drop the oil pain.
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...er-debris.html

Dropping the pan is pretty easy if you have jack stands and a expert in your area willing to assist, like Wayne Smith did with me. It will also give you the ability to scope the bottom of the cylinders, which is where the scoring is typically found, vs going through the plugs.

What area do you live in? Maybe we can get some local volunteers to help out.
TheBruce is offline  
Old 06-14-2018, 01:36 PM
  #36  
nwGTS
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
nwGTS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 3,691
Default

Swap your engine + a bit of cash (i'd say $10-15k) with the guy who wants to build a 4.0 here from a perfectly good 997.1 2006 C4S X51 engine
???

Edit:
After thinking about this a bit the ONLY downside I see for either of you is no longer having matching engine numbers to your chassis.
You get a (assuming) perfectly good UPGRADED X51 engine and he gets his build nearly half subsidized. And obviously you split the cost to R&R the swapped engines.
nwGTS is offline  
Old 06-14-2018, 02:35 PM
  #37  
TheBruce
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
TheBruce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 983
Default

Swap your engine + a bit of cash (i'd say $10-15k) with the guy who wants to build a 4.0 here from a perfectly good 997.1 2006 C4S X51 engine
???
Now that is turning lemons into lemonade ^. Well played @nwGTS.
TheBruce is offline  
Old 06-14-2018, 02:45 PM
  #38  
DesmoSD
User
 
DesmoSD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 817
Default

Originally Posted by nwGTS View Post
Swap your engine + a bit of cash (i'd say $10-15k) with the guy who wants to build a 4.0 here from a perfectly good 997.1 2006 C4S X51 engine
???

Edit:
After thinking about this a bit the ONLY downside I see for either of you is no longer having matching engine numbers to your chassis.
You get a (assuming) perfectly good UPGRADED X51 engine and he gets his build nearly half subsidized. And obviously you split the cost to R&R the swapped engines.
That's a win-win for both parties and very great idea if both can agree on each other's terms.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought the engine number doesn't match the VIN anymore (at least on the 997)? Other then it being replaced from the factory and stamped "AT", there is no way to officially tell it's a matching numbers car.
DesmoSD is offline  
Old 06-14-2018, 03:07 PM
  #39  
dgjks6
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
dgjks6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 2,014
Default

Another thing to check into. Porsche sells short blocks for the 996 for $6500. Not sure the cost of a 3.8, but worth a look.
dgjks6 is offline  
Old 06-14-2018, 03:35 PM
  #40  
nwGTS
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
nwGTS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 3,691
Default

Originally Posted by DesmoSD View Post
That's a win-win for both parties and very great idea if both can agree on each other's terms.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought the engine number doesn't match the VIN anymore (at least on the 997)? Other then it being replaced from the factory and stamped "AT", there is no way to officially tell it's a matching numbers car.
It's on the CoA isn't it?
nwGTS is offline  
Old 06-14-2018, 03:50 PM
  #41  
DesmoSD
User
 
DesmoSD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 817
Default

Originally Posted by nwGTS View Post
It's on the CoA isn't it?
Unfortunately, not anymore.

https://rennlist.com/forums/911-foru...on-number.html
DesmoSD is offline  
Old 06-14-2018, 04:11 PM
  #42  
OnlineAlias
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
OnlineAlias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Indianapolis Indiana
Posts: 265
Default

I can't say this is very ethical, but you could trade it in. In fact, given that you don't really know anything is wrong with it at all for certain, you could almost rationalize it ethically.

Find a nice 997.2 at a Porsche dealer and rock out?
OnlineAlias is offline  
Old 06-14-2018, 04:31 PM
  #43  
nwGTS
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
nwGTS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 3,691
Default

Originally Posted by DesmoSD View Post
well then no real downside here.

I checked my CoA and itĺs on there but that was from back in 2014
nwGTS is offline  
Old 06-14-2018, 06:06 PM
  #44  
groovzilla
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
groovzilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: seattle, washington
Posts: 4,739
Default

I think everyone here is getting there panties in a bind.
That oil filter debris doesn't look that bad - I've seen 996's with worse and cause was just normal wear with no possibility of a bad engine or in need of rebuild.
Change the oil, have fun and drive it and then check out the filter after 3K miles
groovzilla is offline  
Old 06-14-2018, 06:11 PM
  #45  
dgjks6
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
dgjks6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 2,014
Default

How long since the last oil change?
dgjks6 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Metal Shavings in the Oil


Contact Us About Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: