Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

C.O.A no longer gives engine/transmission number

Old 10-10-2017, 01:40 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts
Default C.O.A no longer gives engine/transmission number

C.O.A will only confirm/deny your engine/transmission number.

If you are missing the original engine/tranny or have incorrect engine/tranny, Porsche will not tell you the number you should have.

Not sure how that helps or protects the market?
Old 10-10-2017, 02:15 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 114 Likes on 81 Posts

It helps protect Porsche from liability. Say I buy a $250k 67S I thought was numbers matching because the car was sold with a COA. Later, I manage to get my hands on a Cardex and the Cardex says it doesn't match. I have now overpaid for the car by $50-75k. Who is liable? My attorney might suggest PCNA is...

Furthermore, it prevents fraudsters. Let's say I have a 67S missing the original engine. I buy a blank replacement case and get my hands on the stamps. In the past, all I needed to do was pay for a COA and now I know what number to stamp my replacement case so I can get all the money when I sell the car.
Old 10-10-2017, 02:51 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,480 Likes on 2,269 Posts

buying new: you have to beg for allocation
buying used: you have to avoid fraudsters
man, i think now it's harder to spend money than making money....
Old 10-10-2017, 08:36 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,010 Likes on 718 Posts

Originally Posted by GTgears

Furthermore, it prevents fraudsters. Let's say I have a 67S missing the original engine. I buy a blank replacement case and get my hands on the stamps. In the past, all I needed to do was pay for a COA and now I know what number to stamp my replacement case so I can get all the money when I sell the car.
I think it's more this
Old 10-10-2017, 09:02 PM
Kurzheck
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a '74 that the previous owner had a COA for and it did not have info on the transmission. All it said was, "N/A". I had my tech verify the number and the rep at the department wanted me to give them the number first and then they would confirm or deny. I sent it to them and they confirmed it was original. She would not give the number to see if it matched what I had, which I totally get and it protects the "field".

I just got back the COA today in the mail. Everything is verified now. I really don't know why the previous owner couldn't get the trans verified. Strange. He got everything else, so not sure what happened.
Old 10-10-2017, 09:39 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

Thanks to COA, i was able to know what engine number i was missing in my 67S and 69T.
Found both engines.

Now that cannot happen, so all the 1970+ roller tubs left out there are chit out of luck ever finding their original engines.

So roller tubs might take a little hit on resale, whereas cars with matching numbers and COA should actually hold their value even more.

It really sucks as I loved matching engines to the cars.
Old 10-10-2017, 10:21 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 114 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurzheck
I have a '74 that the previous owner had a COA for and it did not have info on the transmission. All it said was, "N/A". I had my tech verify the number and the rep at the department wanted me to give them the number first and then they would confirm or deny. I sent it to them and they confirmed it was original. She would not give the number to see if it matched what I had, which I totally get and it protects the "field".

I just got back the COA today in the mail. Everything is verified now. I really don't know why the previous owner couldn't get the trans verified. Strange. He got everything else, so not sure what happened.
They lied to you/for you. The transmission numbers historically have been the things that they had the worst records on. They don't know what transmission number was in your car. When you gave it to them, they just nodded and smiled. Yes, I am being serious.
Old 10-11-2017, 02:17 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

When the Kardex system (factory build orders) was discontinued, the ability to get accurate factory documentation vanished.

COA's are not always accurate and without the original, matching engine/transmission numbers, its simply a pretty certificate.
Old 10-11-2017, 02:09 PM
LIRS6
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=COA's are not always accurate and without the original, matching engine/transmission numbers, its simply a pretty certificate.[/QUOTE]

I submitted my info for a COA - they sent one back to me in the Porsche folder with nice cover letter etc... then i looked at the engine/tranny numbers, and realized that one of them was off by a digit ( what should have been a "9" was an "8.") They corrected /re-sent the COA ... suggest to check their work.
Old 10-12-2017, 12:03 PM
sithot
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 119 Posts

Everyone suffers due to the flippers who make chicken salad out of chicken $hit.
Old 10-12-2017, 12:24 PM
911Dave
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
C.O.A will only confirm/deny your engine/transmission number.
If they don't provide the engine/tranny numbers, then how can they confirm/deny the numbers?
Old 10-12-2017, 12:53 PM
sithot
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 119 Posts

There was a time when you could call the factory if you were privy to the right people.

The Carrera RS business of re-minting wrecks hasn't helped.

For the body you'd give the "number" under the dash pad and the serial number of the car. If they matched you would get a "yes". If they didn't you sure as heck didn't learn what it was supposed to be. "NEIN!"

Of course, Konradsheim's book made this part easy for the forgers. That's how they made about 1,500 cars and 1,600 survived.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: C.O.A no longer gives engine/transmission number