Sponsored by:

Thinking about a Porsche, could use some advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2018, 09:16 PM
Thekanezzi
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
too cushy, too quiet, too luxurious, etc. It doesn't have much character. Fast as bloody anything, but also really too capable to have much fun on the street. That goes for most modern performance cars.
This makes sense, and like you said its indicative of most new cars. I agree they have lost the edge a bit from older cars. I hope one day my budget allows me to get something 'raw' in addition to this car, but if I can only have one, I pick the newer car.

Originally Posted by JABowders
..a bit boring? For the most part a 997 can be a bit boring, because it is quick and stable and handles well, but... if you push it a tad to much it bites you and transforms you from a driver to a passenger.

I think the key is the fact that it is a modern performance car, a true slap in the face of technology is turning away from what the developments of the automotive industry and put a set of bias ply tires on your car and try driving it the way you drive with extra grippy directional radials. Or you could rip out your EFI and install a pair of side draft SU/Zenith-Strombergs carbs on your engine, and use a dual point non mechanical advancing distributor instead of your ECM and coil packs. Leaf springs instead of fully adjustable coil overs with camber plates...

Sure I miss the good old days driving around in my 1969 Austin Healey Sprite ... but when I feel nostalgic I drive my 1975 MG Midget. For street legal Go-Karting I jump in one of my four MINIs, If I want heavy metal muscle car madness it is my 2009 Dodge Challenger R/T with the supercharged 5.7 HEMI and when I want the best of all of them I drive my 997 and no matter how I drive or where I am going the open road is the journey to my destination.
Old 06-16-2018, 01:15 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,037 Likes on 734 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
too cushy, too quiet, too luxurious, etc. It doesn't have much character. Fast as bloody anything, but also really too capable to have much fun on the street. That goes for most modern performance cars.
Never gave much thought to why I was never drawn to the Turbo but that's nicely summed up. Never heard one that sounded like a 911 should for starters and most seem to be built bone, base stock, no frills from the factory and left that way.
Old 06-16-2018, 09:25 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 904 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by Thekanezzi
Great suggestion. Will check it out over there . Thank you

I'm curious, what makes a 997 boring?
Nothing . . . I have owned the following turbos: 89, 91 (Ruf conversion), 94, 97, 97S. 2001 (750 hp), 2003, 2004 (Ruf 550), 2008, 2012, and 2017. I have owned way more NA 911s, 911 GTs and 3 factory GT3 Cup Cars. The turbos are the best if you can afford to step up $$$ wise. Boring? Nada and their Ring times suggest otherwise assuming one knows how to drive and handle the power.

Candidly, the NAs are pretty dang boring comparatively speaking unless talking a GT3 RS. It is not about hp, it is all about the torque curve and this is the reason NA engines are disappearing as NAs lack the performance and excitability (for the vast majority of purchasers) and in the lower price realm for high performance cars. Every single time I pick up a modern NA 911, I have always been left wanting and the modern NAs (except the 991.1 GTS and the 991.1 GT3 and RS) are behind the curve in modern day performance. Sedans can run circles around NA 997s and run comparable times as NA 991s these days (C63, Guilia QV, ATS-V, CTS-V, M3 . . .).

Last edited by Doug H; 06-16-2018 at 09:43 AM.

Quick Reply: Thinking about a Porsche, could use some advice