Sponsored by:

Thinking about a Porsche, could use some advice

Old 06-09-2018, 12:30 AM
Thekanezzi
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking about a Porsche, could use some advice

Hello everyone

I am working on getting into another toy and considering how low 997 prices are getting I am definitely considering getting my first Porsche.

A little background on me; my dad has had exotics my whole life. With a few exceptions, all Ferrari. He's had a na 911 that I never got to see. My mom has a cayenne. She mostly had BMW and mb my whole life. In true rebel fashion, I've only had muscle/ pony cars. Recently, I started commuting and bought an aufi a4. I needed something comfortable. Since then, the whole German car idea clicked and since I'm looking at building another car, a 997 makes a lot of sense.

Here's what I'm looking for. Keep in mind I can 100% do this with a few domestic cars, albeit with less style.

4 seats- enough to fit my.3 year old

California smog legal- this is super flexible. Basically needs to 'pass' visual only. Things like swapping cats or tunes don't bother me. Things like swapping turbos do. That being said, modded oem turbos are no problem

Power to weight of.2/pound- 3500 pound car, 700rwhp. This is my goal. It's lofty, especially looking at item 2 on my list. Possible? I'm thinking maybe.

Driveable- I build a ls swapped rx7 that was a total monster but really sucked on trips. Huge cam, ran hot, shook like hell..

So there you have it. Any advice? Am I out of my mind?

Thanks!
Old 06-12-2018, 01:49 AM
Thekanezzi
Track Day

Bimp
Old 06-12-2018, 02:04 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,006 Likes on 714 Posts

Originally Posted by Thekanezzi
Hello everyone

I am working on getting into another toy and considering how low 997 prices are getting I am definitely considering getting my first Porsche.

A little background on me; my dad has had exotics my whole life. With a few exceptions, all Ferrari. He's had a na 911 that I never got to see. My mom has a cayenne. She mostly had BMW and mb my whole life. In true rebel fashion, I've only had muscle/ pony cars. Recently, I started commuting and bought an aufi a4. I needed something comfortable. Since then, the whole German car idea clicked and since I'm looking at building another car, a 997 makes a lot of sense.

Here's what I'm looking for. Keep in mind I can 100% do this with a few domestic cars, albeit with less style.

4 seats- enough to fit my.3 year old

California smog legal- this is super flexible. Basically needs to 'pass' visual only. Things like swapping cats or tunes don't bother me. Things like swapping turbos do. That being said, modded oem turbos are no problem

Power to weight of.2/pound- 3500 pound car, 700rwhp. This is my goal. It's lofty, especially looking at item 2 on my list. Possible? I'm thinking maybe.

Driveable- I build a ls swapped rx7 that was a total monster but really sucked on trips. Huge cam, ran hot, shook like hell..

So there you have it. Any advice? Am I out of my mind?

Thanks!
Just a wild guess but I think that's where you lost a lot of interest in responding. Rather unusual criteria.
Old 06-12-2018, 08:39 AM
swingwing
Pro

Received 93 Likes on 70 Posts

OP, I think you're in the wrong car universe. IMO any 997 ain't the car for you - but then again I've been a Porsche owner for nary six months. Go look at a 2019 BMW M5; it might be closer to your lofty objectives.

Last edited by swingwing; 06-12-2018 at 09:49 AM. Reason: Added wording.
Old 06-12-2018, 09:06 AM
karl1672
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

^ Have to agree
Old 06-12-2018, 09:31 AM
SpeedyD
Burning Brakes

Received 165 Likes on 112 Posts

Get a 996 turbo with a tune. Many 700+ hp examples out there. I think it checks all your boxes above (at least visual smog...)
Old 06-12-2018, 09:44 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 903 Likes on 532 Posts

Easy goals. Just get a 996tt or an early 997tt. Ain’t gonna happen with a NA with reliable cheap hp. Super charger is an option, but mods to a twin turbo are super cheap and super easy. The Mexger engine iso reliable and can easily handle the mods.
Old 06-12-2018, 09:46 AM
swingwing
Pro

Received 93 Likes on 70 Posts

I thought it was Mezger...
Old 06-12-2018, 09:50 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by swingwing
I thought it was Mezger...
typo. Z is not X.

lol, next to not “not.”

iphone bs

Last edited by Doug H; 06-12-2018 at 10:26 AM.
Old 06-12-2018, 10:04 AM
GT3_ISH
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok, lets give this a shot. I've got some experience in your realm of automobiles.

I'm going to state up front that 600-650 to the wheels seems more reasonable. I see you stated rwhp, so you must be considering doing a GT2 RWD conversion, which given the weight/engine configuration will be a handful even at 600. So this leads to the ever important question, what do you plan to do with the car? Aside from drive it on the street, there has to be a reason you're shooting for 700.

A 600-650 bolt on 997TT is not an issue, just depends on what direction you want to go with the car in general that will change the answer.
Old 06-12-2018, 10:39 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Point being . . . Back in 02/03 ish, I took a 996tt up to 700 + at the wheels. That was about a $50k or $60k build with internals, but would be much cheaper today.

I spent about the same on a NA 964 back in 04/05 which yielded about 425 at the wheels with a massive torque curve. That was a build out to 3.8 with internals and an insanely expensive stand alone fuel management Lenz system.

I would not even attempt that kind of build on a NA 996/997 because the cases are crap comparatively speaking and are having trouble with factory specs to some degree. Only the Mezger case can handle that type of build once you get out of air cooled and into NA non-9AX water pumpers.
Old 06-12-2018, 10:47 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,410 Likes on 855 Posts

Porsches, traditionally, have been about handling and being a giant killer on the track. Small, nimble, responsive. Red...Green...Screeeech.... that is an American thing. You may be disappointed with Porsche. You should go test drive some and get a feel for them.

Having said this, I have hung around Ferrari owners for a few years (a close friend owned a few) and I will tell you flat out, Ferrari owners are not like Porsche owners. When it comes to talking about go-fast stuff, engine technlogy etc.... Ferrari owners are clueless.. total posing. While Porsche owners have a pretty high percentage of them too, there are quite a few Porsche owners who are motor heads. Just look at the Ferrari club magazine and the Porsche club magazine..... the Ferrari mag is thin and full of pretentios bs... the Porsche mag is loaded with go-fast parts etc.

But muscle is not a Porsche thing.... never was.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 06-12-2018, 10:56 AM
GT3_ISH
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
But muscle is not a Porsche thing.... never was.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Tell that to the boys in Flacht.

I do agree with what you're saying about the Fcar thing, we have a LOT of those guys on track with us because they refuse to be on track with other Fcar owners or there just arent enough HPDEs with their club.
Old 06-12-2018, 11:28 AM
Thekanezzi
Track Day

Thanks for the response everyone. Lots of great info.

I want to clarify a few things .

-When I wrote rwhp, I should have written awhp. My mistake. Id prefer awd.

-i also should have clarified I'm not interested in a NA car. I can't imagine the build to get 700 out of an NA car.

-i would not have an m5, nor any modern BMW for that matter. Hugely overrated

-I'm not trying to do the muscle thing, been there done that.

This car will be used for trips with my family, quick runs up the canyon by my house and also roll racing. Hence the power goal. I won't be even near the top of that level but it's a plane with nice balance and is fun. I don't do stoplight racing, even with muscle cars.

Now that I've clarified some things, it appears that a 996tt or 997tt would my best choice? 650awhp works no problem.

So ideally a 997tt, manual, FBO, hybrid turbos?

Thanks!
Old 06-12-2018, 11:43 AM
Saaboteur
Burning Brakes

Received 96 Likes on 60 Posts

Definitely sounds like the car on which to base your project should be a 996 or 997 Turbo. From there the difference comes to purchase price, with the 996 Turbos considerably cheaper at the moment than 997 Turbos. But the 997s have nicer interiors and exteriors (though of course that is my subjective opinion), plus active suspension. Look at the Turbo builds from BBi Autosport, they've done some nice cars.

Pix of LS swapped RX7 or it didn't happen lol.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Thinking about a Porsche, could use some advice