Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking about a Porsche, could use some advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2018, 11:53 AM
mbatarga
Racer

Received 67 Likes on 36 Posts

Not much room in a 996 or 997 for kids and/or luggage for any family trip. There's barely enough room for a grocery store run - but I'm not complaining.
Old 06-12-2018, 11:59 AM
GT3_ISH
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Thekanezzi
Thanks for the response everyone. Lots of great info.

I want to clarify a few things .

-When I wrote rwhp, I should have written awhp. My mistake. Id prefer awd.

-i also should have clarified I'm not interested in a NA car. I can't imagine the build to get 700 out of an NA car.

-i would not have an m5, nor any modern BMW for that matter. Hugely overrated

-I'm not trying to do the muscle thing, been there done that.

This car will be used for trips with my family, quick runs up the canyon by my house and also roll racing. Hence the power goal. I won't be even near the top of that level but it's a plane with nice balance and is fun. I don't do stoplight racing, even with muscle cars.

Now that I've clarified some things, it appears that a 996tt or 997tt would my best choice? 650awhp works no problem.

So ideally a 997tt, manual, FBO, hybrid turbos?

Thanks!
I'd go 997TT. At 650-700 you'll be at the limit of the stock turbos from what I remember though so you'll likely have to go hybrid. Enjoy those 5th gear blasts....a FBO 997TT really freight trains in 5th for what it is.
Old 06-12-2018, 12:08 PM
Meursault88
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This car will be used for trips with my family,

Thanks!
0-60 in 3.8 seconds and room for family.

https://www.kbb.com/car-news/all-the...vs/2000012078/

or

https://www.slashgear.com/2018-porsc...p-v8-24476028/

Problems solved.
Old 06-12-2018, 12:09 PM
Thekanezzi
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Saaboteur
Definitely sounds like the car on which to base your project should be a 996 or 997 Turbo. From there the difference comes to purchase price, with the 996 Turbos considerably cheaper at the moment than 997 Turbos. But the 997s have nicer interiors and exteriors (though of course that is my subjective opinion), plus active suspension. Look at the Turbo builds from BBi Autosport, they've done some nice cars.

Pix of LS swapped RX7 or it didn't happen lol.
997 is the one I think. Not into the scrambled egg look.

Which years should I look at? Turbo vs turbo s?

i will check out bbi . Thanks

There is more in my channel. Including my original design 100db exhaust videos. Ugh.

also some videos of my roll races.

Originally Posted by mbatarga
Not much room in a 996 or 997 for kids and/or luggage for any family trip. There's barely enough room for a grocery store run - but I'm not complaining.
Sorry son, you're gonna have to hold this suitcase on your lap.

I made my wife sit in the back of a 991 turbo on sunday and she fit. Gonna be a long time before my son is big enough to complain.
Old 06-12-2018, 12:46 PM
HenryPcar
Three Wheelin'

Received 233 Likes on 168 Posts

Seems to me you grew up among exotic cars and you are quite capable in your ability to both afford a 997 as well as tinkering with the mods. You are not going to get meaningful advice here because your question is kind of vague as to what you really want.
Old 06-12-2018, 01:29 PM
Thekanezzi
Track Day

Originally Posted by GT3_ISH
I'd go 997TT. At 650-700 you'll be at the limit of the stock turbos from what I remember though so you'll likely have to go hybrid. Enjoy those 5th gear blasts....a FBO 997TT really freight trains in 5th for what it is.
Exactly what I'm looking for. Is e85 or flex fuel a thing for that generation 911?

Originally Posted by Meursault88
mom has a cayenne. No lust for the same car my mom has lol. Plus, and I know you Porsche guys don't think muscle cars can corner, I do like flogging a car on mountain roads. Just not in an SUV.

Maybe I'm crazy, but the panamera has never done it for me. Plus, at 4600lbs, I'd need near 900awhp to reach my goal. Honestly, if I was doing the 4 door thing, the rs7 is hard to beat.

Originally Posted by henryting
Seems to me you grew up among exotic cars and you are quite capable in your ability to both afford a 997 as well as tinkering with the mods. You are not going to get meaningful advice here because your question is kind of vague as to what you really want.
I did grow up with some nice cars. In his retirement, my father has developed a penchant for tinkering on vintage v12 Ferraris. Holy hell it gives me anxiety. Too rich for my blood.

As far as bankroll, a 997tt will be my absolute max price and will cause me to have to save for quite a while. I am but a mere RN and my wife is a teacher. My parents don't share wealth at all, in fact they moved to South America when I was 17 and said 'good luck.' No hate, just their style..earn your own way, ECT

The only reason I could even think about a 100k car is due to some favorable real estate investing I did at a younger age and the fact we save a lot of our income. I'm 33.

Thanks for the responses gentleman, these are very helpful.
Old 06-12-2018, 03:10 PM
Saaboteur
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 62 Posts

997 is the one I think. Not into the scrambled egg look.

Which years should I look at? Turbo vs turbo s?

i will check out bbi . Thanks
You'll probably get more responses in the Turbo subforum. I only own a poverty spec 997.1 C4S, so I just know a bit about Turbos from being a Porsche fanboy basically lol.

I believe the Turbo S is a 997.2. 997.1s are up to MY2009, with that year being the one to have, as it has the Mezger engine but with the 997.2 interior. The most common Turbos seem to be MY2007, but no data to support, just from my own looking around. I don't think there's much difference between MY2007 and 2008. MY2010 997.2 has PDK as option and the 9A1 engine I believe. I was under the impression there were no MT 997.2 Turbos but I think I am wrong, as I saw one or two in the classifieds for sale, but it seems the majority of 997.2 Turbos are PDKs.

So I'd say if you want MT, you're likely looking at MY2007 or 2008. A nice upgrade for handling purposes is the TPC Racing DSC box. Magic!
Old 06-12-2018, 03:11 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 905 Likes on 532 Posts

Sorry son, you're gonna have to hold this suitcase on your lap.

I made my wife sit in the back of a 991 turbo on sunday and she fit. Gonna be a long time before my son is big enough to complain.
My older daughters (21 & 22) grew up in the back of Porsche turbos as a I used them as my daily drivers since 1989 and most of my other cars have always been 2 seaters. Its doable. Those that say it ain’t are probably Luxo cruiser guys just breaking into 911s and don’t come from a long line of sports cars. The modern 911s have plenty of room for kids in the back.
Old 06-12-2018, 03:46 PM
Thekanezzi
Track Day

You'll probably get more responses in the Turbo subforum. I only own a poverty spec 997.1 C4S, so I just know a bit about Turbos from being a Porsche fanboy basically lol.

I believe the Turbo S is a 997.2. 997.1s are up to MY2009, with that year being the one to have, as it has the Mezger engine but with the 997.2 interior. The most common Turbos seem to be MY2007, but no data to support, just from my own looking around. I don't think there's much difference between MY2007 and 2008. MY2010 997.2 has PDK as option and the 9A1 engine I believe. I was under the impression there were no MT 997.2 Turbos but I think I am wrong, as I saw one or two in the classifieds for sale, but it seems the majority of 997.2 Turbos are PDKs.

So I'd say if you want MT, you're likely looking at MY2007 or 2008. A nice upgrade for handling purposes is the TPC Racing DSC box. Magic!
Excellent. I really appreciate the help. This gives me a much better bearing on what to look for. Wow, that TPC box looks amazing! This is stuff I am missing out on with my domestic stuff, the tech just isn't there.

I see you have some Saabs? I love the Swedish stuff. A few years back I built and daily drove a 83 Volvo 242 Turbo. That was seriously one of the best cars I ever owner. It was cheap and easy to work on and surprisingly fast. I still miss it. That car was the easiest car I have ever driven to drift.

Originally Posted by Doug H

My older daughters (21 & 22) grew up in the back of Porsche turbos as a I used them as my daily drivers since 1989 and most of my other cars have always been 2 seaters. Its doable. Those that say it ain’t are probably Luxo cruiser guys just breaking into 911s and don’t come from a long line of sports cars. The modern 911s have plenty of room for kids in the back.
Agreed. It has a seat and a seatbelt. That will be enough for now. The price you pay to ride in a sports car when you are a kid. If he complains ill give him the old 'if I bought a 2 seater and left you home on the couch youd be comfortable'
Old 06-12-2018, 05:56 PM
Saaboteur
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 62 Posts

Excellent. I really appreciate the help. This gives me a much better bearing on what to look for. Wow, that TPC box looks amazing! This is stuff I am missing out on with my domestic stuff, the tech just isn't there.
I see you have some Saabs? I love the Swedish stuff. A few years back I built and daily drove a 83 Volvo 242 Turbo. That was seriously one of the best cars I ever owner. It was cheap and easy to work on and surprisingly fast. I still miss it. That car was the easiest car I have ever driven to drift.
See if you can find this book somewhere:

Amazon Amazon

Excellent resource. Says it's out of print but perhaps you can find a used copy somewhere.

I had lots of Saabs in the past, the notable ones are in my signature. Very unique cars. Probably would have done better in undergrad and law school if I wasn't so focused on building them, hah! Current Saab is a hand-me-down from my Dad. I've since added a basic tune, Cobalt SS front Brembos. Might add a mid pipe for more noise. Good car too.

Also drove my parents old '98 V70 wagon, base model NA, MT, for a few years. That was objectively the best car ever. Always started, loads of room, drove nice.

Once in a while I get the itch for a V70R, but then look at B6/B7 S4 Avants and can't decide which I like better lol.
Old 06-13-2018, 06:05 PM
Thekanezzi
Track Day

See if you can find this book somewhere:

https://www.amazon.com/Porsche-911-m...dels+2004+2012

Excellent resource. Says it's out of print but perhaps you can find a used copy somewhere.

I had lots of Saabs in the past, the notable ones are in my signature. Very unique cars. Probably would have done better in undergrad and law school if I wasn't so focused on building them, hah! Current Saab is a hand-me-down from my Dad. I've since added a basic tune, Cobalt SS front Brembos. Might add a mid pipe for more noise. Good car too.

Also drove my parents old '98 V70 wagon, base model NA, MT, for a few years. That was objectively the best car ever. Always started, loads of room, drove nice.

Once in a while I get the itch for a V70R, but then look at B6/B7 S4 Avants and can't decide which I like better lol.

I will definitely look for that book. Thanks for the suggestion.

I've never owned a Saab but I do love the character. You've had a few great ones it seems. One day I'll get another 242 lol
Old 06-14-2018, 11:33 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,442 Likes on 835 Posts

post at 6speedonline

they love that high hp stuff. RL is not very popular for those type of builds.

997TT is a great car, if a bit boring.
Old 06-14-2018, 05:18 PM
Thekanezzi
Track Day

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
post at 6speedonline

they love that high hp stuff. RL is not very popular for those type of builds.

997TT is a great car, if a bit boring.

Great suggestion. Will check it out over there . Thank you

I'm curious, what makes a 997 boring?
Old 06-15-2018, 09:19 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,442 Likes on 835 Posts

too cushy, too quiet, too luxurious, etc. It doesn't have much character. Fast as bloody anything, but also really too capable to have much fun on the street. That goes for most modern performance cars.
Old 06-15-2018, 02:51 PM
JABowders
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

..a bit boring? For the most part a 997 can be a bit boring, because it is quick and stable and handles well, but... if you push it a tad to much it bites you and transforms you from a driver to a passenger.

I think the key is the fact that it is a modern performance car, a true slap in the face of technology is turning away from what the developments of the automotive industry and put a set of bias ply tires on your car and try driving it the way you drive with extra grippy directional radials. Or you could rip out your EFI and install a pair of side draft SU/Zenith-Strombergs carbs on your engine, and use a dual point non mechanical advancing distributor instead of your ECM and coil packs. Leaf springs instead of fully adjustable coil overs with camber plates...

Sure I miss the good old days driving around in my 1969 Austin Healey Sprite ... but when I feel nostalgic I drive my 1975 MG Midget. For street legal Go-Karting I jump in one of my four MINIs, If I want heavy metal muscle car madness it is my 2009 Dodge Challenger R/T with the supercharged 5.7 HEMI and when I want the best of all of them I drive my 997 and no matter how I drive or where I am going the open road is the journey to my destination.

Quick Reply: Thinking about a Porsche, could use some advice