Sponsored by:

PPI Fremont / San Jose Area

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2018, 03:38 PM
sbbarnett
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts
Default PPI Fremont / San Jose Area

Can anyone recommend a shop in the South San Jose / South East Bay areas for a PPI ion a 2005 911 S Cab. None of the dealerships do them anymore... TIA
Old 05-29-2018, 05:12 PM
wjk_glynn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 513 Likes on 329 Posts

Originally Posted by sbbarnett
Can anyone recommend a shop in the South San Jose / South East Bay areas for a PPI ion a 2005 911 S Cab. None of the dealerships do them anymore... TIA
There's several 'PPI in the Bay Area' threads over on the West US Region board: https://rennlist.com/forums/west-us-rennlist-region-97/

Karl.
Old 05-30-2018, 01:20 AM
Blugsr600
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hayward/ fremont area

Need an honest Indy mechanic in the Bay Area. Don't want to take it to the dealers but will if I have no choice. 997.2
Old 05-30-2018, 01:58 AM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 377 Likes on 203 Posts

Talk to Gunter at Fletcher Jones Porsche of Fremont. He runs a tight ship and is a stand up guy.
The following users liked this post:
mrkim (05-05-2024)
Old 05-30-2018, 03:05 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 397 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by Hella-Buggin'
Talk to Gunter at Fletcher Jones Porsche of Fremont. He runs a tight ship and is a stand up guy.
Ditto!
Old 05-30-2018, 12:56 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

If Gunter won't PPI it, you could cal Rob @ BR Racing in Los Gatos.
mrkim (05-05-2024)
Old 05-30-2018, 03:58 PM
inspectX
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

@sbbarnett: We have factory-certified Porsche Gold Meister tech who could travel out to the car for a full PPI. He also has access to PIWIS for a DME and overrev scan. Let us know if we can help. Thanks!
Old 05-30-2018, 05:29 PM
loungin
Pro

Received 70 Likes on 53 Posts

Not sure how Porsche Fremont is so great. G always seems rude/arrogant/irritated to me. Doesn’t make me feel comfortable. What kind of things do you go to Fremont for? How do you ask them for services? Do you have to be very specific with what you want? Or are they helpful in providing advice, things to keep the car running tip top shape? Do they give you just what you ask for or do they go above and beyond? Has anyone had experience there with repair work beyond basic maintenance?
Old 05-31-2018, 02:09 AM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

I bought my car used via private party. It was still under warranty and I have a dealership 5 minutes away. I was treated like I didn't matter because I didn't buy the car from them I assumed.
Gunter always goes above and beyond and gave me top tier friendly service. Now that my car is way out of warranty and I found a great Indy close to my house, I don't go to Gunter as often as I used to, but he still emails me back right away and will also recommend other services from third party facilities. I've taken my car to Gunter for various issues over the years. When I started getting into AX, he and his mechanic sat me down and discussed tuning the suspension for better handling. When I started getting into DE, they again sat me down and gave me some ideas on things to do to the car. They didn't try and sell me anything, but was just looking out.

Here's the main difference between Gunter and many other places. His desire to make it right. If something doesn't go off as planned, he jumps into action to remedy the situation whether it was their mistake or not. . Mistakes happen but so many people in the service industry just shrug their shoulders and cash the check.
vg247 (06-24-2024)
Old 05-31-2018, 12:29 PM
Blugsr600
Intermediate

Default Fremont Porsche

I've heard nothing but great things about Gunther. This coming from a person who has been in the Porsche distribution of parts for 25 plus years. I trust his jusgement and value his opinion. My 2 cents
Old 05-31-2018, 01:12 PM
loungin
Pro

Received 70 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Hella-Buggin'

Here's the main difference between Gunter and many other places. His desire to make it right. If something doesn't go off as planned, he jumps into action to remedy the situation whether it was their mistake or not. . Mistakes happen but so many people in the service industry just shrug their shoulders and cash the check.
Interesting. I don’t know why I had to argue so hard to get the resolution I wanted. It took the 3rd or 4th try and it’s not even a complicated issue. A lot of defensiveness was involved, wasting my time, and took me by surprise given how well reviewed they are.
Old 05-31-2018, 01:20 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

I'm in a service sector as well and sometimes it's just personality fit.
Old 06-21-2018, 02:33 PM
sbbarnett
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

Update to the original question: I got my PPI from Marvin who owns The Renn Shop Inc. in Mountain View CA.

I got sticker shock at the price ($600), but in the end I feel I got great value for money. Marvin spent at least half a day going over the car, and another hour and a half reviewing the results with me and showing me his findings on the car. He had endless patience with my questions, and went above my expectations for detail in his answers. The documentation he provided was extensive and well organized.

At one point in my professional life, I supervised Aircraft mechanics. Marvin struck me as a similar personality type to the best of them. Intelligent, thorough, holds himself to high standards of workmanship, good communicator.
Old 06-22-2018, 12:49 AM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,920 Likes on 2,908 Posts

I highly recommend Rector Porsche now Porsche Burlingame - Hector the service manager has been with them for 19 years and does excellent thorough inspection.
They PPI'd my 993 8 years ago and just last week an 07 997C4S which I passed on.

Cost is $350 but well worth it
Old 06-22-2018, 03:30 AM
sleepy_911
Track Day

Originally Posted by sbbarnett
Update to the original question: I got my PPI from Marvin who owns The Renn Shop Inc. in Mountain View CA.

I got sticker shock at the price ($600), but in the end I feel I got great value for money. Marvin spent at least half a day going over the car, and another hour and a half reviewing the results with me and showing me his findings on the car. He had endless patience with my questions, and went above my expectations for detail in his answers. The documentation he provided was extensive and well organized.

At one point in my professional life, I supervised Aircraft mechanics. Marvin struck me as a similar personality type to the best of them. Intelligent, thorough, holds himself to high standards of workmanship, good communicator.
+1 for Martin. Though I didn't use him because I ended up getting a car in SoCal and PPI'd down there, I did call him a few times to pick his brain about 997s and he spent at least a half hour on the phone once with me to talk through things I should look out for since he wouldn't be able to do a PPI on my behalf.

Quick Reply: PPI Fremont / San Jose Area