Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2018, 04:29 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,701 Likes on 4,258 Posts

Originally Posted by bstmusic
Turbo style currently sold out....
Not surprising based on the interest generated from this thread - Jack and I should have setup a kickback program with them for Rennlist referrals LOL
Old 05-25-2018, 05:25 PM
DesmoSD
Three Wheelin'

Received 359 Likes on 253 Posts

Have you tried contacting them directly? Are this the same manufacture as Depo, made in Taiwan?

http://reviusa.com/index.html
Old 05-26-2018, 11:15 PM
bheit1
Rennlist Member

Received 195 Likes on 133 Posts

I have an '11 C2S and the LED driving lights are always on. I almost think they're better than the head lights for daytime visibility. The problem is people don't seem to see black cars, even with the lights on. Something in the human brain doesn't register. Anyway, you can't go wrong with the LEDs, just drive defensively.
Old 10-24-2018, 10:01 AM
semicycler
Three Wheelin'

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

Pete - What DRL module are you using?

I have a 997.1 with the older style LED combo lights and the $2 diode hack turning on the front fogs. I've recently switched to these newer turbo style LED combo lights like you and want to use the outer ring for the DRL's instead of the fog lights. So I plan to remove the $2 diode hack and install a true DRL module. Looking for some guidance on better modules - cheap eBay ones? front ring only, no rears/sides, is dimming needed?, constant 12V or 12V switched connection? ON circuit detection: current, voltage level, or motion detection? Any issues with the lights coming on while on a battery tender? You get the idea where I'm going with this.

Pictures to make things interesting:

Old 10-24-2018, 10:24 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by semicycler
Pete - What DRL module are you using?

I have a 997.1 with the older style LED combo lights and the $2 diode hack turning on the front fogs. I've recently switched to these newer turbo style LED combo lights like you and want to use the outer ring for the DRL's instead of the fog lights. So I plan to remove the $2 diode hack and install a true DRL module. Looking for some guidance on better modules - cheap eBay ones? front ring only, no rears/sides, is dimming needed?, constant 12V or 12V switched connection? ON circuit detection: current, voltage level, or motion detection? Any issues with the lights coming on while on a battery tender? You get the idea where I'm going with this.

Pictures to make things interesting:

Great looking car !

I'm using a current sensing DRL that I sourced from Nello at Maxspeed Motorsports, but I don't believe he carries them anymore, so can't be as much help on that since I did mine quite a few years ago and just hooked up the new turbo style LEDs to the existing wiring I had done for the previous style. I will tell you that the surrounds on these new lights are much brighter than the old horizontal fiber optic light and make a much better DRL.
Old 04-10-2021, 12:44 AM
McJeeper
AutoX

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Revisiting an old thread... I'm looking at some turbo style lights on ebay. I'd also like to use the perimeter light as the DRL. I keep reading about modules and such, but couldn't you just splice the wires at the lights so fog power goes to the perimeter, and parking light power goes to the strip?
Old 04-10-2021, 08:52 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by McJeeper
Revisiting an old thread... I'm looking at some turbo style lights on ebay. I'd also like to use the perimeter light as the DRL. I keep reading about modules and such, but couldn't you just splice the wires at the lights so fog power goes to the perimeter, and parking light power goes to the strip?
Whats going to energize either wire you've connected to work as a DRL? A true DRL burns whenever the engine is running without the headlight switch being moved because you don't want the rear lights on during the day as it makes it harder to see the transition to brake lights. The 997 does bot have a circuit that does that. The only oem provision for DRL (like in Canada), burns the headlights all the time.
Old 04-11-2021, 10:36 AM
McJeeper
AutoX

Originally Posted by Petza914
Whats going to energize either wire you've connected to work as a DRL? A true DRL burns whenever the engine is running without the headlight switch being moved because you don't want the rear lights on during the day as it makes it harder to see the transition to brake lights. The 997 does bot have a circuit that does that. The only oem provision for DRL (like in Canada), burns the headlights all the time.
True, but I'm using the $2 diode hack, to power my stock fogs as the DRLs with switch set to Home. So now it's a matter of which lights on the new LEDs get energized in that mode. I'm thinking you could splice wires to power what you want. Although it occurred to me, the diode could jump to the parking light instead of fog. Wouldn't that work?
​​​​​​
Old 04-11-2021, 12:27 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

True, but I'm using the $2 diode hack, to power my stock fogs as the DRLs with switch set to Home. So now it's a matter of which lights on the new LEDs get energized in that mode. I'm thinking you could splice wires to power what you want. Although it occurred to me, the diode could jump to the parking light instead of fog. Wouldn't that work?
​​​​​​
That's a different story. Yes, adding the section of the new lights to the fog light circuit from the replacement lights will light those too.
Old 04-12-2021, 06:02 PM
misterdega
Rennlist Member

Received 443 Likes on 180 Posts

You can also keep all your stock stuff in your front bumper and change it all out to LEDs. I actually have an appointment with Lightwerkz this month to do that exactly. I found this video and decided I liked the OEM stuff better but with updated lighting.

Old 04-12-2021, 08:38 PM
McJeeper
AutoX

That is nice, miaterdega! Let us know what you learn from the consultation.

I decided to go with a new assembly because my original lenses are pretty pitted. These LEDs were recommended by several in earlier threads, so they're on the way. I believe the surround light is wired to be the parking light and strip in the middle is the fog. Some said the surround is brighter and use them as the DRL. My original question was about strategies for powering what
​​​​​​I want, when I want. I should get to play with them this weekend.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/991-Turbo-S...-/152942328117
​​​​
The following users liked this post:
misterdega (04-12-2021)
Old 04-25-2021, 05:26 PM
LittleBitBent
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 14 Posts

That is nice, miaterdega! Let us know what you learn from the consultation.

I decided to go with a new assembly because my original lenses are pretty pitted. These LEDs were recommended by several in earlier threads, so they're on the way. I believe the surround light is wired to be the parking light and strip in the middle is the fog. Some said the surround is brighter and use them as the DRL. My original question was about strategies for powering what
​​​​​​I want, when I want. I should get to play with them this weekend.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/991-Turbo-S...-/152942328117
​​​​
How do you like them? Thinking about the same, but I’m in Canada, and we already have DRL as a regulation. So if I understand correctly, there won’t be anything I need to do, because the car is already configured to operate with DRL?
Old 04-25-2021, 06:56 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LittleBitBent
How do you like them? Thinking about the same, but I’m in Canada, and we already have DRL as a regulation. So if I understand correctly, there won’t be anything I need to do, because the car is already configured to operate with DRL?
In Canada, the DRL option on a 997 actually just burns the headlights. Replacing the front marker lights with this type won't do anything different. You'd have to code out the OEM DRL feature from the module that controls it making it like a us car and then do one of the other DRL methods to use those new lights as DRLs, like the "$2 diode DRL Hack" that uses the fog lights with the headlight switch in the Home setting, or a current sensing DRL module that you then wore to the parking lights if you want the surround light to be them.
The following users liked this post:
LittleBitBent (04-26-2021)
Old 04-25-2021, 11:04 PM
McJeeper
AutoX

Originally Posted by Petza914
In Canada, the DRL option on a 997 actually just burns the headlights. Replacing the front marker lights with this type won't do anything different. You'd have to code out the OEM DRL feature from the module that controls it making it like a us car and then do one of the other DRL methods to use those new lights as DRLs, like the "$2 diode DRL Hack" that uses the fog lights with the headlight switch in the Home setting, or a current sensing DRL module that you then wore to the parking lights if you want the surround light to be them.
That's correct. A Canadian car will still have the headlights on all of the time, but you could have cool turbo style parking lights.

LittleBitBent - I'm really happy with the new LED light assemblies. Now that I have the headlight DRLs turned off, the fog light strip in the middle makes a great DRL (with the $2 diode hack). The new LEDs and Xenon headlights made the side markers looks old and crappy, so I replaced them with these. Now I guess I have to do the back end!

https://www.headlightrevolution.com/...ers?quantity=1

Old 04-26-2021, 04:40 PM
LittleBitBent
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 14 Posts

That's correct. A Canadian car will still have the headlights on all of the time, but you could have cool turbo style parking lights.

LittleBitBent - I'm really happy with the new LED light assemblies. Now that I have the headlight DRLs turned off, the fog light strip in the middle makes a great DRL (with the $2 diode hack). The new LEDs and Xenon headlights made the side markers looks old and crappy, so I replaced them with these. Now I guess I have to do the back end!

https://www.headlightrevolution.com/...ers?quantity=1

Thanks McJeeper for the details, and I too was looking at similar side markers. Will have a close look at those ones. WRT to the turbo-style foglights, I'm hitting a bit of a dead-end; I really like those, but that seller on ebay doesn't ship to Canada. If anyone has a source of where to find the led foglights in the picture above, I'd love to know.

Quick Reply: LED running and fog lights