Sponsored by:

GTS: standard suspension upgrade for $3k budget

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2018, 03:15 AM
Kg11
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Fined
The car isn't going to look so weird with the weak offsets that you have to do something right away. You could sort the suspension first and do the wheels later. RS Spyder centerlocks look oddly too far inboard whether stock ride height or lowered on GTS, in my view. All the RS Spyder wheels fitted to 997 GTS have the same dimensions including offset, to my knowledge. I was so stoked on getting the car once I finally got it that I didn't get too worried about the wheels for a couple months. You might find the same.
Sounds good. I may just lower the car or do some inexpensive coilovers to tighten things up. I have driven standard PASM 997 models and they always feel too tall and stiff. I used to own a Sport PASM 991 and it was an entirely different animal. Some of that was due to the chassis, but the suspension certainly didn't hurt.
Old 05-28-2018, 04:35 AM
kru911
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by love2drive
Other than a Porsche short shift kit and sharkwerks center muffler bypass, I didn't touch my 2012 GTS since it was still under CPO. Now that that period has expired, I may consider a few mods. To be honest though, I feel the car is damn well near perfect as is.
love2drive, your GTS looks fairly low in the photo. Might your coupe have Sport PASM (030, perhaps P17)?
Old 05-28-2018, 04:11 PM
Autoquest Motorsport
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd say springs and DSC module for a great bang for the buck and ROI, those PASM shocks really aren't that bad. If you'd like a more flush fitting set of wheels, I do have two lightly used sets of 997 wide body wheels (OZ and Forgeline) available : )
Old 05-28-2018, 04:27 PM
love2drive
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

My GTS has the sports suspension : SPASM. See build sheet. Other than Porsche short shift kit, Sharkwerks center muffler bypass, and clear side lamps, the car is stock.
For upkeep and maintenance, I'll probably get new suspension parts all round in the next year or two. At that time, I'll do research and consider my options but personally, for my taste aesthetically and with my driving..
I see no reason to do anything other than original Porsche parts for this car. For me, it's perfect!

dark, but you can kind of see the rear ride height here

zoom in on front height

here you can see both front and rear

Originally Posted by kruinc
love2drive, your GTS looks fairly low in the photo. Might your coupe have Sport PASM (030, perhaps P17)?
Old 05-28-2018, 04:53 PM
kru911
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by love2drive
My GTS has the sports suspension : SPASM. See build sheet. Other than Porsche short shift kit, Sharkwerks center muffler bypass, and clear side lamps, the car is stock.
For upkeep and maintenance, I'll probably get new suspension parts all round in the next year or two. At that time, I'll do research and consider my options but personally, for my taste aesthetically and with my driving..
I see no reason to do anything other than original Porsche parts for this car. For me, it's perfect!
Much thanks for the quick reply and photos, quite helpful! I'm in an opposite position - on H&Rs now, considering going OE SPASM (on cabrio).

Good thread OP Looking forward to what you further gather and decide.
Old 09-13-2023, 02:12 PM
GTSpure
Racer

Received 109 Likes on 80 Posts

Hello GTS members

I apologize for bumping the old thread.

I can say that I have read in the last two weeks a lot of threads about B12, B6 and B16 and it confused me even more (when I found that there are other differences in the GTS with a center lock - like mine).

Well, I have a 2011 GTS (PDK) with PASM [although it looks SPASM (very strange)]. Everything is original in my car (front and rear control arms - everything is new from MEYLE and OEM). The only thing that remains old in the GTS is my shock absorbers and springs (original from 2011). Oh, front shock mounts are also new.

Long story short, I have a GTS with original suspension (PASM) and currently my rear shocks are leaking.
My first priority is of course B16, after that B12 and finally B6 (with original springs). I am not ruling out either possibility.

My GTS is mainly used for DD and driving in the mountains and track days on weekends. At the same time, I always prefer performance over comfort (but it's important to me that there are no noises, malfunctions or problems that will require him to replace additional suspension parts at this point). I fear the need to replace additional suspension parts and problems with the original CL wheels on the GTS.

I would be happy to receive the opinion regarding the installation of B16 or B12 or B6 in GTS, including:

1. When installing B16 PASM, do I also need to replace other parts in my GTS? Or is it plug and play?

2. Has anyone here with a GTS Coupe PDK CL installed B12 PASM? Are there problems with the alignment of the vehicle? Any problem with the center lock?

3. Does a B6 PASM on a GTS with original GTS springs change the height of the GTS - the same height or higher? Is there anyone here who drives a GTS in a B6 PASM with original springs? I would love to see a picture. I did not find it.

Your opinion (GTS owners) is very important to me.

Many thanks

Attached are some photos of my GTS (PASM PDK):

Old 09-14-2023, 01:56 AM
Busta Rib
Rennlist Member

Received 1,100 Likes on 411 Posts

With your budget, this is my recommendation:

1) DSC Controller ~$1100 used or $1300 new
2) lowering springs. Eibach will lower about 1". H&R will be 1.25" but firmer. $350-400
3) good alignment $400
4) lighter wheels and good performance tires. Not many CL options but the OZ HLT wheels in GT2 spec will fit nicely. Check out Liste-Renn for pics of his setup.
5) use the rest of the money for PCA Driver Ed days. Driver mod.

If you can increase your budget, the next level would be GT3-spec front lower control arms ($1600) for more negative camber and a bigger 25mm rear sway bar ($325). These are the mods I did on my GTS (standard PASM) and there is a noticeable difference in handling. Next level beyond that is a set of high-quality coilovers for more adustability. Check out my build thread for details and more pics: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...-thread-5.html

The following 2 users liked this post by Busta Rib:
Liste-Renn (09-14-2023), waterpanda (09-14-2023)
Old 09-14-2023, 02:27 AM
GTSpure
Racer

Originally Posted by Busta Rib
With your budget, this is my recommendation:

1) DSC Controller ~$1100 used or $1300 new
2) lowering springs. Eibach will lower about 1". H&R will be 1.25" but firmer. $350-400
3) good alignment $400
4) lighter wheels and good performance tires. Not many CL options but the OZ HLT wheels in GT2 spec will fit nicely. Check out Liste-Renn for pics of his setup.
5) use the rest of the money for PCA Driver Ed days. Driver mod.

If you can increase your budget, the next level would be GT3-spec front lower control arms ($1600) for more negative camber and a bigger 25mm rear sway bar ($325). These are the mods I did on my GTS (standard PASM) and there is a noticeable difference in handling. Next level beyond that is a set of high-quality coilovers for more adustability. Check out my build thread for details and more pics: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...-thread-5.html

Thanks a lot Busta Rib but I think you missed my main point (or I wasn't clear). I am satisfied with the height of my GTS. I'm not looking to lower the height (but I have no problem with it being lower with B12 or B16). The reason I'm going for a suspension system move is because I have leaking rear shocks :/ I'm not in favor of putting only lowering springs I believe that springs should be compatible with the shock (therefore the options on the table are B16 or B12 (a very affordable package) or B6 with my springs, But with B6 I wonder what it's like and will the height stay the same or higher. I didn't find any information about it with anyone with a GTS. One thing is for sure - I don't want higher than my current setup. As for LCA GT3 it's my next mod for sure. I need more Camber in front..
Old 09-14-2023, 01:00 PM
///Malcontent
Rennlist Member

Received 105 Likes on 56 Posts

Not sure how miles are on the car, but when refreshing the suspension, install new rubber bits and bump stops in the spring/shock assemblies and consider new top mounts.
Old 09-14-2023, 01:09 PM
GTSpure
Racer

Originally Posted by ///Malcontent
Not sure how miles are on the car, but when refreshing the suspension, install new rubber bits and bump stops in the spring/shock assemblies and consider new top mounts.
Absolutely (: I have already purchased everything new (including PDK powerflex mount and Powerflex Rear Top Mount Isolator Bush and a few other things). Only the suspension system is still a question mark for me.
Old 09-14-2023, 01:20 PM
Liste-Renn
Rennlist Member

Received 1,342 Likes on 609 Posts

This is my GTS with complete OEM PASM setup (except a DSC box) with the OZ UL GT2-size wheels that @Busta Rib mentioned above:

Exercise eyes-wide-open caution before replacing an active suspension system with a passive one.

Last edited by Liste-Renn; 09-14-2023 at 01:22 PM.
Old 09-14-2023, 01:30 PM
GTSpure
Racer

Looks stunning! But I don't want to change my wheels. I have an OZ 18" challenge HLT CL set for track days.
The following users liked this post:
Liste-Renn (09-14-2023)

Quick Reply: GTS: standard suspension upgrade for $3k budget