Sponsored by:

GTS and respray question

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2018, 02:30 PM
Kg11
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 31 Posts
Default GTS and respray question

My local dealer just took in a GTS manual on trade. It is my color (GT Silver) and build (sport seats, manual, black interior). It has 43,000 miles (which is great) and a fair amount of rock chips, like most every other car here. Their policy is to respray the front end as part of the sale. The car will be CPO'd and it doesn't have any accidents or other issues, just rock chips. Will this somehow hurt me down the line with resale? Resprays are pretty common on front bumpers in this area. Normally, I might ask for a discount, but it is not going to happen; a CPO'd GTS manual with that mileage at $70k is a fair price.

Is there any "issue" with having a car resprayed, in terms of future resale? I plan on keeping her for a few years: I have always wanted a manual GTS in GT Silver, and they just don't come up often.
Old 05-21-2018, 03:18 PM
thxbuff2001
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

I dont like resprays so I would just ask them if they could leave it as is. No stories is no stories.

I dont really care about rockchips and would not respray just for it.

Thats why if I get a used car and they have rockchips, I leave it alone.

If I get a personal car with no rockchips or some rockchips, I put xpel on it.
Old 05-21-2018, 03:42 PM
voiceprint1
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 81 Posts

I doubt anyone will knock you down on price, but light colors and metallic paint can be a challenge to match across panels, have a look at most silver cars and you will notice that they don't always match, unless you have a highly skilled painter and he is willing to do test strips to match, also matching on plastic can be problematic, due to the plastic substrate, some might chime in on how this is not an issue, but I have re-sprayed my back bumper twice, both at shops rennlisters /paint people recommended and each one is not exactly right if you asked me (white).
Old 05-21-2018, 04:10 PM
OnlineAlias
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by voiceprint1
I doubt anyone will knock you down on price, but light colors and metallic paint can be a challenge to match across panels, have a look at most silver cars and you will notice that they don't always match, unless you have a highly skilled painter and he is willing to do test strips to match, also matching on plastic can be problematic, due to the plastic substrate, some might chime in on how this is not an issue, but I have re-sprayed my back bumper twice, both at shops rennlisters /paint people recommended and each one is not exactly right if you asked me (white).
Just to note, white is one of the hardest colors to get right on bumper covers, because the flex modifiers that need to be added for a bumper cover tends to tint the paint.

To OP, this is really up to you, and a tough call on a metallic and lighter color. On one hand, they could get it wrong and you could have to mess with over and over to get it right. And if the chipping is bad, you can't really touch it up without it being a thing because a light metallic is the most difficult (impossible) to touch up and make look right. For me, the chipping would have to be instantly noticeable and/or excessive before I'd paint it.
Old 05-21-2018, 05:18 PM
ThomasCarreraGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 274 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Kg11
My local dealer just took in a GTS manual on trade. It is my color (GT Silver) and build (sport seats, manual, black interior). It has 43,000 miles (which is great) and a fair amount of rock chips, like most every other car here. Their policy is to respray the front end as part of the sale. The car will be CPO'd and it doesn't have any accidents or other issues, just rock chips. Will this somehow hurt me down the line with resale? Resprays are pretty common on front bumpers in this area. Normally, I might ask for a discount, but it is not going to happen; a CPO'd GTS manual with that mileage at $70k is a fair price.

Is there any "issue" with having a car resprayed, in terms of future resale? I plan on keeping her for a few years: I have always wanted a manual GTS in GT Silver, and they just don't come up often.

As was said in previous reply, no stories is far more desirable. Which is why the dealer hasn’t painted it. Rock chips are considered patina, and are a part of owning a 911

If it bothers you going forward, put a film on to prevent additional chips and enjoy her the way she was meant to be enjoyed! If you resell, the next buyer will feel better knowing the paint is original and you don’t have to make excuses. If you keep her forever, then maybe you’ll do a complete repaint 25 or 30 years down the road.

Congrats on finding her! One of my all time favorite colors!
Old 05-21-2018, 05:53 PM
DesmoSD
Three Wheelin'

Received 355 Likes on 252 Posts

That's good that they'll respray it for you, gives you options. How is the rest of the body's condition; mirrors, rockers, hood, fenders?

Silver tends reflects differently on plastic compared to metal so even with the proper paint code, resprayed bumpers will be more noticeable, esp in pictures and mediocre lighting. Since they are going paint it as part of the deal, keep all documentation, take as many before and after pics so it would make selling it down the road a little more easier.
Old 05-21-2018, 05:56 PM
Skwerl
Drifting

Received 303 Likes on 185 Posts

To those saying "no stories beats a respray," would you also be inclined to pass on a car with enough stone chips to warrant a respray anyway?
Old 05-21-2018, 06:06 PM
ThomasCarreraGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 274 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Skwerl
To those saying "no stories beats a respray," would you also be inclined to pass on a car with enough stone chips to warrant a respray anyway?

I only buy original, but for many, considering that they will modify the car anyway, it can be ok, as long as the price reflects that.
Old 05-21-2018, 06:08 PM
Kg11
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 31 Posts

Thanks everyone. It seems as if the hood perhaps had bad paint: there are a lot of significant rock chips there, but almost nothing on the bumper or quarter panel. Perhaps the hood had a bad clear coat from the factory: very weird. I looked it at it today and the rest of the car was exceptionally clean; it had around 25 chips in the hood, including good sized ones. It doesn't look great as-is.

The respray doesn't bother me, especially as this will be a drivers' car and not a showroom queen, but I suppose it may bother someone down the line. Then again, the car will probably have 150,000 miles when I sell it, so who the heck cares at that point? It is good enough to CPO, which says alot.
Old 05-21-2018, 06:24 PM
Skwerl
Drifting

Received 303 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by ThomasCarreraGTS
I only buy original,

Would you be likely to pass on a car like the one described in the OP that sounds like it does indeed have a fair share of rock chips, in favor of holding out for one without the chips and that wouldn't benefit from new paint?

My hunch is simply that OP can either lose buyers/value because the paint isn't original or lose buyers/value because the paint is all chipped up - it ends up being a wash, more or less.
Old 05-21-2018, 06:31 PM
voiceprint1
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 81 Posts

Inconsistencies on the body vs the hood could mean it was in an accident and the front bumper and quarter were repainted or replaced, while the hood remained original and thus looks different/aged.

Only you can decide on the right car, but I would not say because it's a CPO it's necessarily led a pampered life.
Old 05-21-2018, 06:43 PM
thxbuff2001
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

It depends on the car, price and condition.

If its just a normal road going car, how much rock chips will that get, not too many. I live both west texas and dallas and i know when to drive back and forth on my special cars, night time or when it is cold. If it is windy, I use my SUV.

I went to the Petersen Musuem in LA, the part where the ferrari cars are displayed, I saw those ferrari cars, I told myself, wow, my cars would look BNEW compared to those on display right now. Its like a swarm of pellet guns shot those bumpers.
Old 05-21-2018, 06:47 PM
alwayswantedone
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

A respray never seems to be as good as factory...particularly when a dealer is doing it to "ready" it for sale. What looks good superficially may not look good to a trained eye or .... even if it does ... it's not factory. It will be evident for the future purchaser via paint depth gauge or otherwise, if he/she cares about it, and generally the quick make-ready resprays don't have the longevity that factory finishes do. Some will and some won't.

All of this may not make a hill of beans difference to you if you're going to keep it and don't care about impeccable resale prerequisites. It wouldn't to me, if I was going to keep the car long-term and it was otherwise a great deal. But...they're only original once. If that bothers you, keep looking. If it doesn't get a great deal, enjoy, and don't look back!!!!
Old 05-22-2018, 12:53 AM
Presto
Pro

Received 67 Likes on 37 Posts

Instead of dealer painting it, ask for a discount. Take car to professional body shop with great reviews and let them paint it. A professional can paint it better than factory and if polished and wet sanded right the finish will be orange peel free. . I would also add a clear bra to the front end as the 911 are prone to stone chips.
Why worry about resale value if your going to put 100k plus miles on it.
Old 05-22-2018, 01:29 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,008 Likes on 716 Posts

Tough crowd. No accident and the dealer is willing to fix a bumper that's obviously pretty beat up. I would tell them to go ahead, ask who's doing the spray, confirm that shop's credentials, take pictures and get a written statement from the dealer as to why the respray was done. Just a wild guess but I'm thinking most buyers out there would rather have a correctly resprayed front bumper with proper and no alarm documentation than a bumper that looks like it's been to hell and back just because.....after all, it does have the original paint. Add the CPO the dealer is adding and this would not be a hard decision for me.

Quick Reply: GTS and respray question