Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The DIY Guide to Replacing your 997 Coolant Expansion Tank

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2023, 10:37 PM
Floyd540
Rennlist Member

Received 458 Likes on 277 Posts

Been written about many times. If you do not lower the engine enough, you will never get it out. When you do get low enough, it slides out. Pushing, twisting, yanking, etc will get you nowhere. Study the new tank and see how the support rails work. One 10 mm nut is the only fastener. On .2 cars, nothing else has to be disconnected other than the level sensor and the hose from the tank. Take the mounts out while you are at it and see if they have sagged. .1 cars do have some other stuff to move out of the way. If it is not easy, you are doing it wrong!
Old 09-16-2023, 12:28 AM
carguy999
Pro

Received 148 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
I put my car up on ramps in the back, supported my engine from the carrier with a floor jack, and then removed the lower motor mount nuts and let the jack down slowly anfling the motor until the back wouldn't drop down any further and rhen lifted it up juat a bit and left it sitting onnrhr jack. There was plenty of space to remove and slide the tank out down the side.
That sounds terrifying to me haha.
Old 09-17-2023, 10:57 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,567 Likes on 941 Posts

2009 C2S 192K miles

Lowering the engine is easy and should be without drama.... butt.... When I lowered the engine to replace engine mounts, replace my water pump, and then my coolant tank, the engine would pull on a bunch of lines in there... that is what prevented me from lowering further. I can't imagine dropping it untill it "stopped".... yikes. Be careful and drop in small increments looking into the engine bay for anything stretching or pulling.

Peace
Bruce in Philly (now Atlanta)
Old 09-17-2023, 11:12 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,601 Likes on 4,197 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
2009 C2S 192K miles

Lowering the engine is easy and should be without drama.... butt.... When I lowered the engine to replace engine mounts, replace my water pump, and then my coolant tank, the engine would pull on a bunch of lines in there... that is what prevented me from lowering further. I can't imagine dropping it untill it "stopped".... yikes. Be careful and drop in small increments looking into the engine bay for anything stretching or pulling.

Peace
Bruce in Philly (now Atlanta)

Maybe the .2 is different but the only place in the .1 where anything has to be watched is top left corner where some plastic lines need to be popped out of their clips. Other than that the whole engine tilts very easily, creating probably 4"-5" of space above it.

Here's a picture of the engine up and mounted vs lowered in the rear. For reference you can see how much lower the intake manifolds are from the top

Old 04-15-2024, 01:15 PM
rileyracing1
Three Wheelin'

Received 402 Likes on 282 Posts

Just completed in my 997.1 and the fuel rail did not require any disconnect procedure providing the engine is lowered enough which is key to a swift and effortless removal. Just make sure you drop the engine all the way down , pop the tank out of the retaining bracket and give it a twist from the top downward and a little force and it will come out . It does require some twisting and pulling to come out and it will come out providing as in my case the lower tank hose connection is not hanging on a wire.

Installing the replacement was a snap ... Going in is much easier than coming out for some reason ?

Last edited by rileyracing1; 04-16-2024 at 11:17 AM.

Quick Reply: The DIY Guide to Replacing your 997 Coolant Expansion Tank