Sponsored by:

Sport Chrono a must?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2018, 01:53 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 399 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
I'm with mikemessi and ATSR as one who does not like Sport mode in my wife's 997.1 C2S with MT and SC as it makes the throttle way too touchy, like pressing it 10% makes it respond like 30%.
IMHO... you just need to learn smoothness, i.e., learn to use the throttle as the progressive analog device it is. It is not a binary (off/on) switch. It's all about finesse and control - that is what makes a better driver.
Old 05-18-2018, 02:03 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,725 Likes on 4,277 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
IMHO... you just need to learn smoothness, i.e., learn to use the throttle as the progressive analog device it is. It is not a binary (off/on) switch. It's all about finesse and control - that is what makes a better driver.
Exactly why I don't want Sport Chrono augmenting my inputs. I'd rather arbitrarily l have say 20 graduations from fully closed to wide open, and with Sport Chrono it feels like there are half that many. If all I was doing was going from no throttle to full throttle then it wouldn't matter, but id preder to progressively add throttle smoothly upon turn exit and SC doesn't help with that, or maybe I misunderstood your comment.
Old 05-18-2018, 05:42 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 399 Likes on 272 Posts

Exactly why I don't want Sport Chrono augmenting my inputs. I'd rather arbitrarily l have say 20 graduations from fully closed to wide open, and with Sport Chrono it feels like there are half that many. If all I was doing was going from no throttle to full throttle then it wouldn't matter, but id preder to progressively add throttle smoothly upon turn exit and SC doesn't help with that, or maybe I misunderstood your comment.
If anything... there is a finer e-gas graduation with SC. You just need to have a lighter foot and modulate the throttle with more control. This is what I find and feel. YMMV.
Old 05-18-2018, 06:25 PM
bhvrdr
Pro

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts

It is correct that the sport chrono while giving you increased throttle response it is at the expense of modulation. I actually keep my sport chrono mode off and turn my PASM into sport mode now and that's the way I enjoy driving.

I also find it ridiculous that activating the sport chrono button forces you into the sport PSM mode. In my opinion that should be a function of the PSM button where you click it once and you get sport PSM mode and then hold it down and get full PSM off. There could be many times when you want to have sporty transmission shifting but do not want to reduce the electronic's nannies in the car.
Old 05-18-2018, 08:14 PM
AltVelo
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

I found most of the "S" models have Sport Chrono package.
Old 05-18-2018, 08:56 PM
mikemessi
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
If anything... there is a finer e-gas graduation with SC. You just need to have a lighter foot and modulate the throttle with more control. This is what I find and feel. YMMV.
Not with my car. It becomes so sensitive that no matter how hard I try if there are any bumps in the corner it causes my foot to barely move and it's like I'm bouncing on and off the throttle and upsets the car. On the street I can easily modulate it. But on track not so much. I don't have racing buckets and harnesses so mid corner I'm trying to hold myself in my seat with my legs and modulate the gas.
Old 05-18-2018, 10:53 PM
Dartmouth
Burning Brakes

Received 121 Likes on 65 Posts

I have the sport and sport + on my 09 4S Cab, and I use the PDK in manual mode all the time. Acts just like a manual without a clutch. I love it this way.
Old 05-19-2018, 02:10 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,059 Likes on 743 Posts

Originally Posted by Dartmouth
I have the sport and sport + on my 09 4S Cab, and I use the PDK in manual mode all the time. Acts just like a manual without a clutch. I love it this way.
Exactly, except much quicker. And if you use the gear lever instead of the paddles it's even closer to a manual. Just forward and back instead of the "H-pattern". In manual/sport plus all the time except for when warming up.
Old 05-20-2018, 06:38 PM
PQRS
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sporty Chrono

I recently purchased a beautiful 2009 C2 PDK, 25k miles. I almost passed it up because of no Sport Chrono. I drove it for a few hundred miles before installing The Sport Chrono program. Cost was about $1200, program and buttons from Sun Coast Porsche, and program downloaded by my local dealer. The upgrade is amazing! Make it a completely different car.

Quick Reply: Sport Chrono a must?