Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Michelin Track Connect - cool for track rats!

Old 05-09-2018, 09:16 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,409 Likes on 854 Posts
Default Michelin Track Connect - cool for track rats!

Check this out.... anyone try this?

https://www.michelin.co.uk/about/track-connect

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 05-09-2018, 11:24 AM
kisik
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 35 Posts

Bruce, thank you for sharing. Great idea except now I have to buy $2k Cup 2s.. I wish I could add sensors on any tire with adhesive and then move to other tire once it worn.
Old 05-09-2018, 03:46 PM
ocgarza
Drifting

Received 149 Likes on 125 Posts

Anyone know if there is a consumer side to this product? Or is it strictly for racing and testing crowd?
Old 05-09-2018, 03:57 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts

This is a fantastic tech and IF it's relatively affordable and added to their track or Max Performance tires, I'd be buying them next time!
Old 05-09-2018, 04:01 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

When I went to the track, I just asked others what pressures they were running..... always folks there with the same car and tires.... generally there was a consensus and it appears spot on for me. In short, I tended to run higher pressures on the street and the track guys always knew how to dial out the understeer with just two pounds in the front making all the difference.... When I was a noob, I was shocked at how much difference just two pounds made.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 05-09-2018, 04:14 PM
BF951
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

Looks interesting but just that. I'm more interested in the temps across the surface of each tire to help set pressures and suspension. Just getting the avg temp inside might only put you in the ballpark.
Old 05-10-2018, 04:12 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
When I went to the track, I just asked others what pressures they were running..... always folks there with the same car and tires.... generally there was a consensus and it appears spot on for me. In short, I tended to run higher pressures on the street and the track guys always knew how to dial out the understeer with just two pounds in the front making all the difference.... When I was a noob, I was shocked at how much difference just two pounds made.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
What PSI do you run on track?
Old 05-10-2018, 09:55 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by alexb76
What PSI do you run on track?
I don;t remember, that was another Porsche car, older Michelin models, and a bunch of years ago.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 05-10-2018, 10:17 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BF951
Looks interesting but just that. I'm more interested in the temps across the surface of each tire to help set pressures and suspension. Just getting the avg temp inside might only put you in the ballpark.
I know technically, your method is correct.... but I always wondered how much closer to "perfect" you get doing that. After input from others, then say two pits, you can dial in your correct tire pressures pretty well no? My first weekend at the track, I purposly went out with Porsche recommended pressures for my car..... I didn;t know what I was doing, but I was trying to be a bit scientific... I wanted to learn. Immediately I was getting understeer.... you don;t have to be an expert to recognize this. My next run, I changed the pressures to what the guys there were recommending for my car and tire (factory supplied Michelins). WOW.... everthing changed... no more understeer and the car just seemed to track better.... again, I was an extreme noob, but any dork with nerve cells could tell. On the second day... we had way more track time since so many folks left.... I started to play with the tire pressures. I forget how many times.... not many... as I was changing by just one pound..... I found the pressures the guys gave me at the track were spot on. In other words, I am not sure having a pyrometer would have gotten me much closer.

Oh, another way to tell is to see the scrub mark line on your sidewall..... to close to the tread edge and your pressures are too high, too much into the sidwall, you are rolling over and pressures are too low.... but simple driving feel will get you pretty darn close I think.

I am not saying a pyrometer is a waste... I suspect if I really got into it, I am the kind of geek that would buy one and really get into testing.... but I suspect tweaking the pressures by a few pounds either way will get you 90% there.... or just ask a few folks with the same car and tires.

What do the real track junkies think about this? Weigh in here......

Peace
Bruce in Philly

For those who never saw a pyrometer......

Old 05-10-2018, 11:25 PM
ColoradoMark
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

My pyrometers died, so I got a laser temperature gun. It works well.

Pressure? I dropped down to 31psi on my Nitto’s last weekend and will try lower. My son (who has some knowledge and professional experience) suggested going down to 26psi hot. This is a lot lower than I’ve run on anything but pure race tires before.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Michelin Track Connect - cool for track rats!