Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another rear end story

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2018, 12:48 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,008 Likes on 716 Posts

Update: Got an email earlier tonight from the insurance agent at AIG who's supposed to pay for all this. The email stated that the body shop doing the repair has been paid in full and also included the full estimate for parts and labor. Here's part of the estimate that got my attention and triggered and email to the body shop to stop all work on the car immediately. They're still dismantling which is the only good news here.

"THIS ESTIMATE HAS BEEN PREPARED BASED ON THE USE OF CRASH PARTS SUPPLIED BY A SOURCE OTHER THAN THE MANUFACTURER OF YOUR MOTOR VEHICLE. THE AFTERMARKET CRASH PARTS USED IN THE PREPARATION OF THIS ESTIMATE ARE WARRANTED BY THE MANUFACTURER OR DISTRIBUTOR OF SUCH PARTS RATHER THAN THE MANUFACTURER OF YOUR VEHICLE"

I also left an after hours voicemail for the agent handling my claim at my insurance company. Really? Repairing a $70,000 car with "crash parts" and other garbage from junkyards?? I've never heard of anything like this. Has anyone else?
Old 05-23-2018, 01:13 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,172 Likes on 3,936 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge
Update: Got an email earlier tonight from the insurance agent at AIG who's supposed to pay for all this. The email stated that the body shop doing the repair has been paid in full and also included the full estimate for parts and labor. Here's part of the estimate that got my attention and triggered and email to the body shop to stop all work on the car immediately. They're still dismantling which is the only good news here.

"THIS ESTIMATE HAS BEEN PREPARED BASED ON THE USE OF CRASH PARTS SUPPLIED BY A SOURCE OTHER THAN THE MANUFACTURER OF YOUR MOTOR VEHICLE. THE AFTERMARKET CRASH PARTS USED IN THE PREPARATION OF THIS ESTIMATE ARE WARRANTED BY THE MANUFACTURER OR DISTRIBUTOR OF SUCH PARTS RATHER THAN THE MANUFACTURER OF YOUR VEHICLE"

I also left an after hours voicemail for the agent handling my claim at my insurance company. Really? Repairing a $70,000 car with "crash parts" and other garbage from junkyards?? I've never heard of anything like this. Has anyone else?
Yes, I've heard of that and unfortunately, its common practice. Is AIG your insurance company or that of the at-fault driver. If his/hers, its always better to process the repair through your insurance company since you're their customer and they should have your best interest in mind rather than the other guys insurance that has their best interest in mind along with trying to get your vehicle repaired for the lowest cost you'll accept.

If you go through your insurance company you'll have an easier tine and they will get the money back from the other guys insurance company. Also, your coverages would apply until you get the car back, like X number of days of rental car, valuation on the car you have with them rather than blue book value, etc.
Old 05-23-2018, 01:32 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Petza914
Yes, I've heard of that and unfortunately, its common practice. Is AIG your insurance company or that of the at-fault driver. If his/hers, its always better to process the repair through your insurance company since you're their customer and they should have your best interest in mind rather than the other guys insurance that has their best interest in mind along with trying to get your vehicle repaired for the lowest cost you'll accept.

If you go through your insurance company you'll have an easier tine and they will get the money back from the other guys insurance company. Also, your coverages would apply until you get the car back, like X number of days of rental car, valuation on the car you have with them rather than blue book value, etc.
AIG is the insurance company of the guy at fault. Only reason I went down that path is that I don't have to pay a deductible. If they insist on this kind of repair I'll of course pay the deductible and get it done right by my own insurer.
Old 05-23-2018, 08:41 AM
Meursault88
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Stay on top of them 100% and even go after the careless driver when it's all said and done. Maybe a small claims case for your deductible and wasted time will have them reconsidering being a dumbass while driving. You're totally blameless in this situation.

I hate to say it but when there is an injury involved, it's my impression that the insurance companies don't play games with the fix, they just want the liability off the books.
Old 05-23-2018, 08:57 AM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914

Pete has it right. General rule insurance companies follow is that if the car is 2 years or less old, they will allow OEM new parts. Older than that, they will attempt to use 3rd party lower cost replacement parts (could be same as OEM) or recycled parts (junk yard dog). Your body shop should help you with any arguments. You do have better chances with your own insurance company but they will still give you a hard time. Unfortunately, I have been there before.
Old 05-23-2018, 10:15 AM
shekmark
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"Only reason I went down that path is that I don't have to pay a deductible"
Did you question your insurance company about this? My daughter recently was hit and USAA said the same thing, but then waived it ( the deductible) when proof came that the accident was not her fault. The police report tells that and even the other party ins company said it.
Old 05-23-2018, 10:27 AM
bstmusic
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Even if your insurance charges you a deductible, they usually refund it back to you after getting reimbursed by the other driver's insurance.
Old 05-23-2018, 01:05 PM
DC911S
Drifting

Received 202 Likes on 133 Posts

I had Nationwide insurance and during a snow storm to take a friend to the hospital in my B6 S4 I had an accident and slid into the back of an x5 on a hill. Well it neeed a new hood and grill and lots of other parts. They supplied the loaner, BUT they made the body shop use hood and other parts from China, kid you not and after three of them and other parts not fitting....they authorized all OEM parts. Meanwhile Nationwide wanted me to return the rental car, before my Audi was fixed. I promptly told them it’s not fixed because you guys did not let the body shop use all OEM initially and I’m not returning the rental car till it’s finished. It was finished and they paid and I dropped Nationwide, they are not on your side.
Old 05-23-2018, 02:13 PM
shekmark
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"I dropped Nationwide, they are not on your side" <<<funny
Old 05-23-2018, 02:17 PM
karl1672
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

That sucks ... one of my biggest fears
Old 05-23-2018, 02:34 PM
DesmoSD
Three Wheelin'

Received 355 Likes on 252 Posts

Is this a Porsche certified body shop? What the bold statement says is that that crashed/damaged parts are going to be sourced from a 3rd party vendor not OEM Porsche parts. It's not going to come from a junkyard. It's common practice with body shops. They have outsourced vendors that supply them with OEM-style body parts. Porsche has many 3rd party vendors for their parts.
Old 05-24-2018, 12:19 AM
TommyV44
Drifting

Received 458 Likes on 265 Posts

Go through your insurance company for sure! Every part used in my repair was a Porsche Part and getting those parts from Germany increased the wait time for my car significantly. I can't remember if I paid the deductible but I could swear I did not!

Good Luck my friend!

Tom
Old 05-24-2018, 01:43 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Problem solved. Turns out that the disclaimer about the use of "crash parts" and such is mandatory on Florida estimates whether they will use 3rd party parts or not. That said, there seems to be some wiggle room. I spoke with an adjuster at my insurer this morning who was a nice guy and a car enthusiast himself. He agreed that the language in the estimate would have a strong negative effect on the value of my car and said he felt confident he can have it removed. I'm supposed to get the cleaned up version in a couple of days.

He also told me that they've had so much backlash because of this that they've had to hire additional staff just to deal with it. They're also moving to a different platform next month where this disclaimer will only be added if in fact such 3rd party parts will be used. Sounds like they've received approval for this which makes sense. I also learned from the body shop that all parts they have to buy for my car will be OEM Porsche. The shop owner sent me pictures of the boxes they've received so far and said he will keep all receipts for all parts purchased. This is a good shop, possibly the best in town.
Old 05-24-2018, 07:10 AM
Meursault88
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Problem solved. Turns out that the disclaimer about the use of "crash parts" and such is mandatory on Florida estimates whether they will use 3rd party parts or not. That said, there seems to be some wiggle room. I spoke with an adjuster at my insurer this morning who was a nice guy and a car enthusiast himself. He agreed that the language in the estimate would have a strong negative effect on the value of my car and said he felt confident he can have it removed. I'm supposed to get the cleaned up version in a couple of days.

He also told me that they've had so much backlash because of this that they've had to hire additional staff just to deal with it. They're also moving to a different platform next month where this disclaimer will only be added if in fact such 3rd party parts will be used. Sounds like they've received approval for this which makes sense. I also learned from the body shop that all parts they have to buy for my car will be OEM Porsche. The shop owner sent me pictures of the boxes they've received so far and said he will keep all receipts for all parts purchased. This is a good shop, possibly the best in town.
Good news ! Being nice (but firm) is paying off.
Old 05-24-2018, 10:18 AM
jll1011
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

I just went through this with my Benz and someone hitting me at a stop light. You are getting good advice here. I just stayed on the guy's insurance company regularly until i was satisfied with all (parts used, parts replaced, diminished value, etc.). Allstate was the company and they did a good job. I even got reimbursed for my medical visit including the time i invested for the visit. I went to a very good shop (like you are) and my car really looks like pre-accident condition. It stinks that you have to go through this when not your/our fault). Unfortunately, I think we will see a lot more rear end collisions because everyone is on their dang phones (the very likely reason i was hit).

Quick Reply: Another rear end story