Another spoiler question

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2018, 11:44 PM
avonted
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Another spoiler question

I love this spoiler and have a few questions;

1 - Can anyone identify what this one is?
2 - What happens to the factory spoiler? Disconnect the power so it never comes up again?
3 - If the factory is disabled, will the car lose some of it's factory cooling? If I am not mistaken, the 997 factory raises up to help in cooling?

Thank you!
Old 05-05-2018, 12:16 AM
Kuhl997.2!
Pro

Received 130 Likes on 92 Posts

What your looking at is a factory 997.2 turbo spoiler. They pop up for sale in the Rennlist classifieds from time to time and on Evil-bay. There a couple of good step by step wright ups on converting a stock rear deck lid over to a turbo one. They can made to work just as they would on a turbo and do not negatively affect cooling and may or may not increase downward force over the stock rear spoiler. There are some camps that feel the change in down force with out an accompanying front spoiler can negatively affect high speed stability, speeds approaching 130, but I have yet to see the empirical data and if your are driving around on public roads over 130 mph you are a menace. If you are patient you might even find a used one the same color of your car saving you some cash on having to have one painted, Hope this helps Cheers
Old 05-05-2018, 07:55 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,552 Likes on 4,167 Posts

In addition, the upper wing raises taller on a cab than it does on a coupe 2" vs 3".

I did the conversion on my wife's 997 C2S

Active Aero Wing in parked position

Active Aero wing in raised position (this was a Coupe hydraulics setup - Cab goes 1" higher which is the height I chose for the Eram active aero wing on my silver RUF car)

Rennkit's Erams in Deployed position (same height as a Cab)

Last edited by Petza914; 05-05-2018 at 08:56 AM.
Old 05-05-2018, 08:32 AM
captainbaker
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Kuhl997.2!
What your looking at is a factory 997.2 turbo spoiler. They pop up for sale in the Rennlist classifieds from time to time and on Evil-bay. There a couple of good step by step wright ups on converting a stock rear deck lid over to a turbo one. They can made to work just as they would on a turbo and do not negatively affect cooling and may or may not increase downward force over the stock rear spoiler. There are some camps that feel the change in down force with out an accompanying front spoiler can negatively affect high speed stability, speeds approaching 130, but I have yet to see the empirical data and if your are driving around on public roads over 130 mph you are a menace. If you are patient you might even find a used one the same color of your car saving you some cash on having to have one painted, Hope this helps Cheers
Bingo. I found a fellow Rennlister who was selling a TT tail in the exact color as mine at a great price. The bonus was he removed the pesky, expensive hydraulics! Now I can adjust the height of my tail, with no tools at all in a few minutes! Not to be snarky but the stock TT hydraulic system is frail and costly. The middle of the road approach is the electric ram conversion as it eliminates the hydraulics.

Slapping a Turbo or ? tail on a 911 is a long standing traditional mod. I just happened to be drawn to the factory lines of the TT tail over a GT or Aero wing. You mileage may vary.

Last edited by captainbaker; 05-06-2018 at 07:39 PM.
Old 05-05-2018, 11:01 AM
shekmark
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That is a great looking wing!! Do it!
Old 05-05-2018, 03:14 PM
DaveCarrera4
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by captainbaker
Bingo. I found a fellow Rennlister who was selling a TT tail in the exact color as mine at a great price. The bonus was he removed the pesky, expensive hydraulics! Now I can adjust the height of my tail in a few minutes with no tools at all in a few minutes! Not to be snarky but the stock TT hydraulic system is frail and costly. The middle of the road approach is the electric ram conversion as it eliminates the hydraulics.

Slapping a Turbo or ? tail on a 911 is a long standing traditional mod. I just happened to be drawn to the factory lines of the TT tail over a GT or Aero wing. You mileage may vary.
would gen great to see some pictures! I love this mod. If I had a 997.2 C4S I'd do this in a heartbeat. I'd also use our 4" eRam Kit. 😎
Old 05-06-2018, 01:03 AM
captainbaker
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveCarrera4
would gen great to see some pictures! I love this mod. If I had a 997.2 C4S I'd do this in a heartbeat. I'd also use our 4" eRam Kit. 😎
These are before I added the correct script.

Name:  hqtcrTsl.jpg
Views: 8
Size:  59.2 KB

Name:  9T8uUgDl.jpg
Views: 8
Size:  57.4 KB

One of the best visual upgrades ever in the history of the 911. It helps that C4s is a wide body and has the hips to fill out the over all picture.

Trending Topics

Old 05-06-2018, 03:15 PM
Ditchhanger
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by captainbaker
These are before I added the correct script.

One of the best visual upgrades ever in the history of the 911. It helps that C4s is a wide body and has the hips to fill out the over all picture.
I agree. Your car looks just like my white C4S after I finished the conversion last year. It wasn't a cheap modification, but well worth it. I still have the factory hydraulic system, but I will eventually swap it out for the electric ones.

You can find the swap instructions in this forum. Someone has the tool that is used to disassemble the top airfoil from the decklid (as we all kind of share the one tool and pass it on to the next person doing the swap).
Old 05-06-2018, 06:40 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,552 Likes on 4,167 Posts

Originally Posted by Ditchhanger
Someone has the tool that is used to disassemble the top airfoil from the decklid (as we all kind of share the one tool and pass it on to the next person doing the swap).
A simple straight punch of the right size slipped into the hole in the hydraulic rams works just as well as the pinned spanner tool.

Quick Reply: Another spoiler question