Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear ended! Advice?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2018, 02:01 AM
rw229
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Agreed. I posted the same 991 bumper link and should have clarified the OP would be dealing with the other persons insurance company. I asked only because of what I was told by my insurance guy, a Porsche guy who said it would be tough to get diminished value except for very high value vehicles. Your experience is useful and a message to the OP to be persistent with the claim.

Originally Posted by sandwedge
See post # 14 above. As I said there, your own insurance company won't get involved in diminished value discussions so it's between you and the insurer of the guy who hit you. You'll run into a lot of resistance and they do a pretty good job of wearing you out where they hope you'll just go away. That said, I noticed from the beginning that they never made a strict legal argument for why they owed me nothing. It was more a matter of a bunch of BS, half baked excuses and lack of returned phone calls and emails. I think the key to succeeding is to stay on point, be persistent and keep it businesslike. It doesn't have to get ugly and it's not difficult to produce evidence that a 997 with an accident history is worth less than one without one.
Old 05-04-2018, 02:49 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,037 Likes on 734 Posts

Originally Posted by rw229
Agreed. I posted the same 991 bumper link and should have clarified the OP would be dealing with the other persons insurance company. I asked only because of what I was told by my insurance guy, a Porsche guy who said it would be tough to get diminished value except for very high value vehicles. Your experience is useful and a message to the OP to be persistent with the claim.
I think it was a good thing to post since I've heard the same thing over the years. There's a lot of consensus out there that diminished value compensation only applies to rare exotics, antics etc. Simply not true. It applies to any car that actually loses value because of an accident history. Where exactly that line is drawn is a different story but again, proving that a 997 with an accident history is worth less than one with a clean history is not a hard thing to do.
Old 05-04-2018, 08:28 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Out of curiosity - what happens if the the vehicle causing the damage is underinsured or even uninsured? Would the damaged vehicle's insurance company then be involved in the diminished value claim?
Old 05-04-2018, 10:41 AM
Dartmouth
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 65 Posts

Here is a guy (recommended by an authorized Porsche Certified Body shop) who's business is diminished value claims.

Auto Damage Experts,
David Smith
Consulting and Expert Assistance
P.O. Box 1362
Beaverton, OR. 97075
Telephone: (503)642-4259
Facsimile: (503)863-3892
www.AutoDamageExperts.com
Old 05-04-2018, 11:34 AM
Meursault88
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

In Texas diminished value claims are as everyday as just waking up and shooting our guns off into the air.

One of the things to realize is that diminished value has a much greater impact the newer the car and the newer the repair. Was the paint work satisfactory ? Will it stick or reveal problems later? Draw you own conclusions but my story to the at fault insurance company would be that I was going to put the car up for sale in the coming months. (which would definitely be true since the car is damaged). If you're going to sell the car 10 years from now the diminished value amount will be a fraction of this summers impact.

Another thing you'll want to do is to photograph and document the accident and repair thoroughly so you can show the true nature to a prospective buyer whenever that is. They will want to get a sense of how bad the damage was and how well it was fixed. Make sure you get lots of photos - HQ and well lit. Not with a silly iPhone but a real camera.
Old 05-04-2018, 11:37 AM
Rulez
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm an insurance adjuster and I can echo that DV claims are very hard to substantiate and settle. I handle the injury side of auto accident claims so I don't have first hand experience with DV, but I see the negotiations and results in my files and its a tough process. Like Dartmouth said, it might be good to seek some assistance, but be aware that they charge a fee and/or take a cut of the settlement.
Old 05-04-2018, 01:03 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,552 Likes on 4,167 Posts

Make sure the exhaust system is also thoroughly checked out - anything from the tips all the way up to the headers could be bent or cracked with a hit like that.
Old 05-04-2018, 01:19 PM
Meursault88
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Rulez
I'm an insurance adjuster and I can echo that DV claims are very hard to substantiate and settle. I handle the injury side of auto accident claims so I don't have first hand experience with DV, but I see the negotiations and results in my files and its a tough process. Like Dartmouth said, it might be good to seek some assistance, but be aware that they charge a fee and/or take a cut of the settlement.
A lot of people begin to experience numbing, tingling and severe pain (nerves and soft tissue) when their diminished value claim is being chiseled at and their car is being sent to Jocko's Autobody.
Old 05-04-2018, 02:04 PM
larrysb
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 39 Posts

As someone who was in a fairly serious rear-end collision a few years ago, I'm still suffering with back pain on a daily basis. Fortunately, I was in a leased SL. I think would have been a lot more seriously harmed in most other cars. The car was repaired by the best shop in town, documented and it looked great. Since it was leased, when the term came up, I just paid the return fee and walked away. The value was seriously diminished though. I spotted it on a no-brand used car lot, in spite of low miles, unusual and nice equipment upgrades in the build, at a far below market value. The CarFax showed the accident and it went through auction from the leasing company. I reckon they took a bath on it, at least 15% of the FMV of the car at wholesale.

And no, in spite of this being 0% my fault, and a 3-year law suit with the insured's carrier, I got doodly for my pain. That's the real world.
Old 05-04-2018, 02:49 PM
rickdogg82
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Question, but may help the OP...

Has anyone here successfully gotten diminished value from an insurer, if so what did it take? My agent is a car guy and told me that it's very difficult to get a diminished value payout unless it's rare collectable or a big bucks exotic like a high end F-car, McLaren, etc.
People get it. But I can see how it would be hard to get a payout for damages that have not occurred yet. Until the car is sold there is no proof that the car is worth less than market..
Old 05-04-2018, 02:56 PM
Meursault88
Burning Brakes

15% of the cars current value sounds about right. With most being sold (not asking) at less than 50% of MSRP, taking another 15% (or ~$7500) off gives a viable selling price for a car with history. My sense of insurance companies is that they get generous and speedy with the car repairs (and all in settlement) when an injury is brought forth. They just want you to sign that check that releases them.
Old 05-04-2018, 03:01 PM
Meursault88
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rickdogg82
People get it. But I can see how it would be hard to get a payout for damages that have not occurred yet. Until the car is sold there is no proof that the car is worth less than market..
This makes it sound pretty easy here in Texas - http://www.autoloss.com/diminished-v...d-value-claim/

" It is almost impossible for an insurance company to deny a diminished value claim to an insured claimant. "

Do I have to sell my vehicle to make a diminished value claim?
No! Whether you want to sell your repaired vehicle right away, or 10 years after the claim is your business. The drop in value occurs immediately, and you are entitled to be compensated immediately.
Old 05-05-2018, 01:32 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,037 Likes on 734 Posts

Originally Posted by rickdogg82
Well....I got paid by Geico and I didn't sell my car so I think it's fair to say that the larger, reputable insurance companies have accepted the fact that cars in our category do lose value if involved in an accident. That damage occurs when the accident and the repair occurs and has nothing to do with when I intend to sell the car.
Old 05-05-2018, 07:53 AM
user 72902
Banned

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Question, but may help the OP...

Has anyone here successfully gotten diminished value from an insurer, if so what did it take? My agent is a car guy and told me that it's very difficult to get a diminished value payout unless it's rare collectable or a big bucks exotic like a high end F-car, McLaren, etc.
I had a new Audi (which I did not like) that was about 3 months old when someone did a hit and run in a parking lot. My insurance carrier did not offer it but when I requested diminished value they sent me a check without any drama. I dumped the Audi that same year.
Old 05-05-2018, 07:59 AM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 91 Posts

On the flip side, would you buy the OP's car after it has been fixed and at what discount from a non accident 997?

Diminished value seems to be defined as 10 to 15% from selling price. Personally, I would buy it under 2 conditions. 1. Does the selling price reflect the diminished value. 2 Was the repair done by a shop that digs deep into the structural pieces that are damaged from the impact. It is not only about the paint.

To the OP, be careful about using the shop recommended by the dealer. That relationship is based on many factors, including financial considerations between the two parties. As was suggested earlier in this thread, talk to local PCA members for their recommendations for the best shops.

Last edited by mjsporsche; 05-05-2018 at 10:33 AM.

Quick Reply: Rear ended! Advice?