Sponsored by:

997.2 Radio Glitching

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2018, 08:48 AM
Highpox1
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 997.2 Radio Glitching

I have a 2010 911 C4S cab, 61K miles, daily driver. This morning on the way in the radio powered off to a black screen for about 3 seconds, then the Porsche logo popped up, then back to normal. About 20 min later it cycled again. Clearly something is starting to go. I have read about other issues with PCM sound and power on this forum, didn't find this exact one but I suspect a failing PCM has many varieties. From other part date stamps I can tell my car is physically about 9 years old, even though I have had it only 7.3 years (from new). Not sure how long a PCM lasts but I suspect 9 years is right there. Should I consider a straight replacement or switch over to a whole new setup? What kind of bux are we looking at here? Thanks!
Old 04-30-2018, 02:13 PM
caitov
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Unfortunately, I think you might be right about the lifespan of the PCM. Mine has also been acting up in the same manner. I don't know if it's a precursor to complete failure, or it will just remain glitchy.

Funny that on my '88 the only issue I currently have is also with the original radio. It's not really a worry since I rarely ever turn it on. Maybe I'll start doing the same with this one.
Old 04-30-2018, 03:16 PM
GSXR750
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Hi Guys,
I just went for a drive yesterday up ACH and as soon as i finished the exact same thing happened.
I was on the phone and the screen went black and the unit rebooted.
Is there a fix besides replacing the whole unit?
2010 997.2 base carrera 35K miles

thanks
mike
Old 04-30-2018, 03:39 PM
larrysb
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 39 Posts

There are companies who fix the PCM's. The nav systems have a physical hard disk drive in them - and realistically it will fail at some point. Life limited component.
Old 04-30-2018, 03:41 PM
GSXR750
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Highpox1
I have a 2010 911 C4S cab, 61K miles, daily driver. This morning on the way in the radio powered off to a black screen for about 3 seconds, then the Porsche logo popped up, then back to normal. About 20 min later it cycled again. Clearly something is starting to go. I have read about other issues with PCM sound and power on this forum, didn't find this exact one but I suspect a failing PCM has many varieties. From other part date stamps I can tell my car is physically about 9 years old, even though I have had it only 7.3 years (from new). Not sure how long a PCM lasts but I suspect 9 years is right there. Should I consider a straight replacement or switch over to a whole new setup? What kind of bux are we looking at here? Thanks!
Originally Posted by larrysb
There are companies who fix the PCM's. The nav systems have a physical hard disk drive in them - and realistically it will fail at some point. Life limited component.
I wonder if the spinning disc could be replaced with a solid state drive
Old 04-30-2018, 03:51 PM
96Tiger
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Started happening to me several months ago. I started a thread and asked about it (see below). There’s a place you can send the unit to in NJ that will repair it. I still haven’t done anything but it hasn’t gotten any worse.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...glitching.html
Old 04-30-2018, 11:13 PM
doclouie
Three Wheelin'

Received 188 Likes on 124 Posts

I have read that this may also happen due to items like a Bovee or Carpro attaches to the system. Do any of you have either of those connected to your PCM?
Old 05-01-2018, 07:52 AM
Highpox1
Advanced

96Tiger
Your link was very helpful- thanks. One topic I saw develop in those threads was Apple software being an issue....I think this may be very relevant. When I got in my car yesterday morning- with my new Iphone X, software version 11.3- the re-boot of the PCM first occurred after about a minute, which is the same time it took my old phone to Bluetooth pair. What I noticed about 15 min later was that my phone was NOT paired (it showed the slash thru the phone symbol), so I went to Bluetooth on my phone and clicked on PCM pairing. That's when it re-booted the PCM again. I never suspected it was the attempt at pairing that was causing the issue. This time it did pair. After that no reboots occurred. Coming home later it paired right away w/o a problem. This morning the software updated to 11.3.1, but I did not drive in. I can't say definitively that's the culprit, but it sure could be. I will experiment w and w/o a phone to see.
Old 05-01-2018, 09:20 AM
Tim_Perley
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine did the same thing for the first time last week. 2 reboots within 15 minutes.

2010 Carrera S
Old 05-01-2018, 09:44 AM
Highpox1
Advanced

Tim

Do you think it was a pairing issue w your phone? Next time it does it look at your signal indicator on the lower left and see if you are paired or have a slash/phone..I'll be this is a pairing issue w/ old PCM software and new Apple software...
Old 05-01-2018, 09:55 AM
dgjks6
Drifting

Received 244 Likes on 160 Posts

So before my warranty ran out was doing it every third time I started the car. Took to the dealer and no problems found. It has not done it now in months.

I have an iPhone hooked up through the PCM and a bovee through the iPod adapter.

Sometimes everything is connected perfect, sometimes does not see the phone, sometimes does not see the iPod.

I consider it a quirk
Old 05-01-2018, 05:00 PM
larrysb
Racer

Yeah, first thing, disconnect anything from USB and unpair your bluetooth devices. See if it normalizes. If it still does odd things, go to the reset screen and reset all the data. As a last step, pull the fuse to the PCM and force power-reset it. If it is still does weird stuff, then consider repairing or replacing the PCM.
Old 05-02-2018, 04:10 AM
Frank996

Received 146 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by GSXR750
I wonder if the spinning disc could be replaced with a solid state drive
I may be wrong here, but wouldn't a SSD require an OS that supports SSD's?

While on the subject, what OS does the PCM 3.0 run on? Some obscure MS version I could imagine...
Old 05-02-2018, 03:31 PM
larrysb
Racer

Originally Posted by Frank996
I may be wrong here, but wouldn't a SSD require an OS that supports SSD's?

While on the subject, what OS does the PCM 3.0 run on? Some obscure MS version I could imagine...

If the drive is a standard interface type, like ATA or SATA, then the OS wouldn't be able to tell whether it is rotating media or flash media. It just looks like a HDD, responds to all the same commands. Modern OS's have additional features that detect and optimize for SSD's, but older OS's work with them fine, just see them as any other hard disk.

It is really hard to find ATA (also called PATA or IDE) SSD's. Mostly, you can buy SATA SSD's these days, right off the shelf. I haven't open it up yet, but given the age of the PCM3, I'd bet it was older ATA interface.

The other hurdle is whether the drive is "locked". In the ATA and SATA command sets, are commands that lock the disk, so it can't be accessed. There are ways around simple locks if you have an ATA analyzer and can watch the lock/unlock commands and keys get passed. But if the drive or files are encrypted, you might not be able to copy the drive over to an SSD, assuming you can find one that will physically drop in.
Old 05-04-2018, 07:05 PM
ManoTexas
Three Wheelin'

Received 683 Likes on 409 Posts

Mine did all kinds of weird things. Dealer had it 3 weeks and couldn't replicate. Within mile of picking up radio went wild cycling thru things. Realized I did usual and plugged phone in before starting. Stopped phone connection and ended issues. At that point. No issues for months now.

Drove home from airport last night. Drinking coffe early this morn. Wife heads to work. Comes in and says well, your radio is on again. WTF. Hadn't done it in months. Thought related to phone and radio issues before. Only way to get it to turn off is either start car, then turn off car. Or lock it. So I locked it.
Any idas?

Quick Reply: 997.2 Radio Glitching