997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997.2 Fister Muffler Install DIY

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2018 | 12:00 PM
HenryPcar
Three Wheelin'

See if you can use a Dremel tool to cut a slot on the bolt to fit a screwdriver onto it, then use a box wrench to turn the hex bolt while holding the screwdriver.
Old 11-09-2018 | 08:03 PM
cvtuttle
Advanced

Originally Posted by swingwing

If you’re meaning a video I’ll see what I can do. I didn’t record anything “Before” changing the mufflers. Cold starts are noticeably louder as engine gets extra fuel for about 15-20 seconds, then settles down. Warm starts are slightly louder than before. On the road the sound is great - louder but not overly so. Accelerating say 3500 rpm and up the sound is terrific, and the engine seems more responsive. I’m very happy with this mod.
Just had mine done today at FD Motorsport (about an hour and twenty minute drive from me - which was quite nice except for all the smoke from the fires to the North), and couldn't agree more about the sound and satisfaction with the modification!
Old 11-09-2018 | 10:26 PM
swingwing
Pro

+1 on HenryPcar's suggestion. Use Dremel or hacksaw blade to cut slot on end of the bolt. Then use a screwdriver to hold the bolt while you put a wrench on the nut. You could also file the bolt end flat to give a vise grip plier enough purchase to hold the bolt while you work the nut off. Either way means you'll have to refit a new bolt.

Last edited by swingwing; 11-09-2018 at 10:37 PM. Reason: Added sentences.
Old 11-10-2018 | 12:20 AM
ill250
Intermediate

Originally Posted by cvtuttle
Just had mine done today at FD Motorsport (about an hour and twenty minute drive from me - which was quite nice except for all the smoke from the fires to the North), and couldn't agree more about the sound and satisfaction with the modification!
Do you mind if I ask how much was the install? I'm an hour away from FD and planning on driving up there for the exhaust.
Old 11-10-2018 | 01:01 AM
cvtuttle
Advanced

Originally Posted by ill250
Do you mind if I ask how much was the install? I'm an hour away from FD and planning on driving up there for the exhaust.
Not at all!

Installation is quite reasonable at $180. The Titanium Ceramic coating was another $300 or so and the actual core was like $395. All total it was around $900 installed (I did the "core exchange"). If I had skipped the ceramic coating it would have cost me about $300 less... but what the heck.

Install took about 90 minutes. I walked over to the Starbucks nearby and did some work on my laptop while I waited. The guys there are super nice.
Old 11-10-2018 | 09:39 PM
Astraelraen
Rennlist Member

I tried the dremel to cut a slot in the end, didn't work. I even tried a drill to back it out, nothing. I just had plugs done by the dealer so I know the mufflers came out recently, only thing I can think of is they must have put it back on with an impact or overtightened it and it seized up. I ended up cutting the whole bolt off. Took me about 5 hours start to finish, including cutting the bolt and aligning the tips (which took longer than I expected). Thanks for the guide it was spot on!

Order obstruction/halfmoon/S wrenches beforehand.

Probably would have let someone else do it if I could have predicted the future.
Old 11-10-2018 | 11:41 PM
rw229
Pro

Interesting, their site shows a core charge of $550. Maybe it's less when dealing locally?

Not at all!

Installation is quite reasonable at $180. The Titanium Ceramic coating was another $300 or so and the actual core was like $395. All total it was around $900 installed (I did the "core exchange"). If I had skipped the ceramic coating it would have cost me about $300 less... but what the heck.

Install took about 90 minutes. I walked over to the Starbucks nearby and did some work on my laptop while I waited. The guys there are super nice.
Old 11-11-2018 | 12:19 AM
swingwing
Pro

There’s no core charge if you have them do the install. D’oh!
Old 11-11-2018 | 12:35 AM
rw229
Pro

I was referring to the core charge of $395 (installing their mufflers and me keeping mine) mentioned by cvtuttle above, not providing my mufflers as a core or them modifying my mufflers on site. D'oh!

Originally Posted by swingwing
There’s no core charge if you have them do the install. D’oh!

Last edited by rw229; 11-11-2018 at 12:56 AM.
Old 11-11-2018 | 12:59 AM
cvtuttle
Advanced

Originally Posted by rw229
I was referring to the core charge of $395 (installing their mufflers and me keeping mine) mentioned by cvtuttle above, not providing my mufflers as a core or them modifying my mufflers on site. D'oh!
Sorry - I had my price slightly off - here is the actual invoice:

Fister 997.2 sport mufflers-CORE EXCHANGE $395.00
Titanium - 993/996/997/991 $260.00
In-Shop Installation - Core Fee Waived $180.00
Subtotal $835.00

Hope that helps!
Total Due $835.00

Last edited by cvtuttle; 11-11-2018 at 01:01 AM. Reason: Add context
Old 11-11-2018 | 01:05 AM
rw229
Pro

OK, makes sense now. The 395 was for the actual Fister mod, not the core charge!

Sorry - I had my price slightly off - here is the actual invoice:

Fister 997.2 sport mufflers-CORE EXCHANGE $395.00
Titanium - 993/996/997/991 $260.00
In-Shop Installation - Core Fee Waived $180.00
Subtotal $835.00
Total Due $835.00
Old 11-27-2019 | 11:05 AM
byroncheung
Instructor

Think I'd share my experience with installing my Fister mufflers, hope I'm adding a bit of new info to this topic...

I tried to DIY over the weekend but couldn't get the flange studs out (I got the nuts off the studs using blow torch and PB blaster, but the studs just wouldn't move...). If I were to keep forging ahead, next thing to try will be to cut and drill the studs out. But I wasn't entirely comfortable doing that so I took it to a porsche indy shop today.

The tech managed to get the old mufflers off WITHOUT TOUCHING THE FLANGE BOLTS/NUTS!!! To do so you just have to take the bumper and heat shield off, and instead of trying to get the muffler brackets off the flanges, just loose the mufflers from the brackets instead...

Obviously if you want to replace the center muffler with bypass pipes this wouldn't work, but if you are just replacing the mufflers, given typically how hard is it to remove the flange bolts / nuts, this really should be the default way of doing this... Took the tech only 1 hour to the job! I thought I read all the DIYs / watched all the videos but I don't think I have came across people it without messing with the flange bolts / nuts...

Hope this help!
The following users liked this post:
997.2cs (02-08-2023)
Old 11-27-2019 | 07:37 PM
Iceter
Drifting

I don’t understand why anyone would touch the cat studs in the first place. You don’t have to remove the center muffler to remove or install the side cans and the center muffler is the only one connected to the cats.

i didn’t even remove my rear bumper, although in retrospect I should have.
Old 11-28-2019 | 04:56 AM
speed2th
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by byroncheung
Think I'd share my experience with installing my Fister mufflers, hope I'm adding a bit of new info to this topic...

I tried to DIY over the weekend but couldn't get the flange studs out (I got the nuts off the studs using blow torch and PB blaster, but the studs just wouldn't move...). If I were to keep forging ahead, next thing to try will be to cut and drill the studs out. But I wasn't entirely comfortable doing that so I took it to a porsche indy shop today.

The tech managed to get the old mufflers off WITHOUT TOUCHING THE FLANGE BOLTS/NUTS!!! To do so you just have to take the bumper and heat shield off, and instead of trying to get the muffler brackets off the flanges, just loose the mufflers from the brackets instead...

Obviously if you want to replace the center muffler with bypass pipes this wouldn't work, but if you are just replacing the mufflers, given typically how hard is it to remove the flange bolts / nuts, this really should be the default way of doing this... Took the tech only 1 hour to the job! I thought I read all the DIYs / watched all the videos but I don't think I have came across people it without messing with the flange bolts / nuts...

Hope this help!
where is this wonderful shop at ? Local mechanic wants to charge 2+ hours labors.
Old 11-28-2019 | 10:42 AM
CT944
Drifting

It's so simple to remove the rear bumper, something like 12 screws. Makes the job so much easier.

Quick Reply: 997.2 Fister Muffler Install DIY