Sponsored by:

Transmission mount !

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2018, 01:47 PM
HenryPcar
Three Wheelin'

Received 233 Likes on 168 Posts
Default Transmission mount !

I changed the engine mount on my 997.2 with the RSS Tarmac series and is extremely happy with it.
However, due the transmission mount, which is still origin, there is noticeably a bit of slop and is thinking of changing it too.
My is a C2S 997.2 with manual gear box. Any suggestion as to whether I should change it with the stock mount or are there better choices out there. I don't track the car but I like to take the slop out, but not at the expense of turning my car into a track car. Also, what kind of special tools should I get to perform this task..
Old 04-21-2018, 07:31 PM
Jett911
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I JUST installed the Function First tranny mount inserts (yellow, medium hardness). I was strongly considering the softer ones but I enjoy a little aggressiveness with it being a weekend toy. It was an easy install as long as you have tall enough jackstands or a lift to get under there. Wish I could provide some feedback but my C2S is still hibernating in the garage. Life in MN... Sunny and just about 60 today so I hope to have her out by next weekend.

I will be able to give input regarding NVH increase but I also installed a short shifter, FF shifter cable ends, and replaced the fluid. So while I expect big improvement on the shifts it may be hard to tell what % is related to the inserts. If you are also thinking of upgrading the cable ends it would be a good time. Quality and fitment of both was very good.
Old 04-21-2018, 09:10 PM
Cramp
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I am very interested in the Function First trans and engine mounts. I've been thinking of doing that this spring and was also curious about the DIY skill level involved. The directions look straight forward enough. However, I find that most things on my 10 year old car aren't always as they seem thus far.
Old 04-21-2018, 10:00 PM
SoCal C2S
Three Wheelin'

Received 128 Likes on 87 Posts

I had the orange FF trans mounts and removed them after 3 months. The NVH was really annoying between 2-3K RPM which on the freeway at 65-75 mph that’s smack in the RPM range. They were great at the track as I’m pretty much at 4-6k RPM. So for the 98% of driving they had to go.
Old 04-22-2018, 02:26 AM
Louis de Funes
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 245 Posts

I have the yellows on my cars since 2015 and like them

also have the RSS Mounts

I enjoy the driving experience
Old 04-22-2018, 03:05 AM
SoCalDan
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 70 Posts

Hi,
I recently replaced the transmission mount on my '08 C4S and also inserted the Powerflex yellow urethane bushings, which insert into the OEM mount. The shifter was more accurate and tight for sure, but the droning noise from the engine/transaxle transferring vibrations to the chassis really bothered me. I couldn't enjoy the sound of the engine and at higher RPM it almost felt like the engine was misfiring. I ended up removing the inserts, slicing them very thin on the ends so they would sill harden the mounts, but not too much. It was a good compromise and while there is a little "noise" or vibration when I'm winding up the RPMs, it's livable. I also upgraded the shifter mechanism to the 997.2 GT3 box, which was pricey ($430), but that tighten things up really well and I like that I used an OEM part.

I hope that helps,
Daniel
Old 04-22-2018, 07:22 AM
bloomjbmw
Racer

Received 80 Likes on 41 Posts
Default FF Orange

Originally Posted by Cramp
I am very interested in the Function First trans and engine mounts. I've been thinking of doing that this spring and was also curious about the DIY skill level involved. The directions look straight forward enough. However, I find that most things on my 10 year old car aren't always as they seem thus far.
This past thanksgiving I purchased a FF Orange Transmission insert. I bought it to eliminate a ‘thump’ sound when quickly downshifting from 3rd to 2nd. I’m not sure if this will fix my noise and have never gotten around to do the install. Thus the FF is sitting in the bag it came in. Since purchasing it, I’ve read about people removing them due to increased NVH...so I’m probably going to sell it and move on.

Given that the H&R springs I have are too rough of a ride I’m probably not going to want the increase in NVH that comes with this mod.

let me know if your interested in the new FF mount I have. Maybe we can work out a fair deal.
Old 05-02-2018, 08:17 PM
Jett911
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

My feedback on the FF yellow mounts. Shifting is improved, though I can't say what amount is due to this portion of my upgrades. Only noticeable vibration for me is at idle. Not annoying, just noticeable where I had no vibration previously. I have no noticeable vibration through the rev range while driving though. But, bumpy roads and potholes are now very harsh. To give some perspective I always drove with PASM in sport suspension mode except on extremely rough roads and did not have issues, where now it is much rougher even in non-sport mode with the inserts. On fairly smooth roads I am able to use the sport suspension setting comfortably. I am going to keep them in as they are fine on most roads and this is not my DD. I only have about 300 miles so far and I've read they may soften with use. I'll let you know if it improves. The orange inserts may have been ideal...
Old 05-02-2018, 09:43 PM
Cramp
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Very helpful everybody - thank you. Thanks for starting this thread OP! 🤘
Old 05-03-2018, 01:11 PM
Batman33
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Here's my experience. I tried the softest transmission mount inserts from FF. (Orange? Hell, I forget.) Maybe it was just my car, but the increase in NVH was unbearable...and I do indeed like cars that are "alive"!! I ultimately took them out. Now, you want to improve the shifting you say? I highly, and I mean highly, recommend their (FF's) new product...the shifter cable end replacements! $175. I track my car. The increase in confidence that I have in shifting as a result of the new ends made it worth every nickel.
Old 05-03-2018, 01:22 PM
mcfisticuffs
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I had the original Black FF Transmission mount inserts on my 996.2 and it was bad around 3k rpm. Everywhere else was okay, but at cruising speeds and passing 3k it was too much for me.

I'm opting to forgo the trans mounts on my 997.2 and do the semi solid engine mounts to stiffen 2/3 mounting points, which I hear is more of an acceptable compromise in NVH vs shifting/engine movement improvement.

I also did the FF shifter cable end replacements. They do what they say they do, but they don't fix all the shifting problems. Still looking into SS engine mounts and maybe their shift right kit & PTX.
Old 05-03-2018, 01:33 PM
HenryPcar
Three Wheelin'

Received 233 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by Batman33
Here's my experience. I tried the softest transmission mount inserts from FF. (Orange? Hell, I forget.) Maybe it was just my car, but the increase in NVH was unbearable...and I do indeed like cars that are "alive"!! I ultimately took them out. Now, you want to improve the shifting you say? I highly, and I mean highly, recommend their (FF's) new product...the shifter cable end replacements! $175. I track my car. The increase in confidence that I have in shifting as a result of the new ends made it worth every nickel.

Thats what I'm afraid of the excessive NVH. The RSS engine mount is right at border line as far as NVH is concerned and I'm afraid a semi-solid transmission mount will push it over my threshold tolerance. Just waiting for a tool to do the job and will report back how the factory transmission mount feels like with the RSS engine mount combo.
Old 05-04-2018, 12:16 PM
Appraiser
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have Porsche 964RS motor mounts; did first - small difference in stiffness, noticed a deeper tone from the exhaust, then FF orange trans bushing; noticed a little more vibration (seen in passenger seat shaking) at idle but after 3k+ miles of driving it is nonexistent, exhaust got a little richer, too. No drone or ill experience at any RPM otherwise. This was on a car with adjustable front-drop links, GT3 rear sway bar otherwise factory C2 suspension with ~60k miles on fresh S-04 r18 tires with 7/15mm spacers. I do have an overhead light rattle from approximately 2,910-2,990 rpm's but a little felt tape will clear it up. NVH is gonna be dependent on all factors; tires, wheel sizes, shock absorber, springs, sway bars, bushings, mounts, etc. Next up is subframe collars, shift cables, front top camber plates and finally the pro-kit.
Old 05-11-2018, 11:16 AM
Johnny DB
Three Wheelin'

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

I just did the 964RS motor mounts as well....so far like the changes. I'm thinking I might add the orange motor mounts as the next step.

Quick Reply: Transmission mount !