Sponsored by:

Using a Sport Plus switch to access a Cobb tune

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2018, 01:12 PM
RobtH
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Using a Sport Plus switch to access a Cobb tune

I have a 2011 GTS w/6sp manual. Is there a way to add and utilize a Sport Plus switch to activate/deactivate an enhanced engine tune/mapping program? Has anyone ever tried doing this?
Old 04-17-2018, 02:50 PM
DC911S
Drifting

Received 202 Likes on 133 Posts

Only one tune at a time can be loaded into the ECU. You can’t swith maps by using the stalks like you can on some Audi’s and VW. If you want to switch tunes on the 911 you have to use the handheld loader to go through the whole key on and off sequence while doing various commands on the genius handheld device.
Old 04-17-2018, 04:10 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 346 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by DC911S
Only one tune at a time can be loaded into the ECU. You can’t swith maps by using the stalks like you can on some Audi’s and VW. If you want to switch tunes on the 911 you have to use the handheld loader to go through the whole key on and off sequence while doing various commands on the genius handheld device.

Well that's KIND of true. You certainly can't do it on the fly with the engine running but you can automate the key sequence and add a secondary switch to activate the key sequence.
Doing this through the Sport Plus switch on the center stack is doable though not easy. I investigated this and you would need to sever the circuit that signal the switch's functions to the CAN BUS and tap the PCB of the console switch module directly with external leads. The external leads would connect to your PCB that automates the mapping update sequence through the COBB device. There are some other things that complicate using the Sport Button switch but really, it would not be terribly difficult for anyone who knows how to read and understand a wiring schematic, understand the implications of changes to the output signals and do some basic soldering.

Coincidentally, this question was posed only a few minutes after I posted in my build thread that I was investigating doing this. Again, it's possible, but difficult because based on my research and conversations with pro tuning companies the stock 997.2 Bosch ECU does not support revised (manual) mapping with the engine running. I have to say 'manual' there because the engine automatically revises it's mapping continually while operating (i.e. air:fuel on cold start up vs warm cats, fuel octane fluctuations, detonation detection, limp mode, etc).

Last edited by nwGTS; 04-17-2018 at 06:40 PM.
Old 04-17-2018, 05:05 PM
DC911S
Drifting

You would still need to have the cobb tuner or FVD genius connected to the OBD port with the tune you want to get loaded in, even if you have some odd way of automating the very off key on/off sequence. I have done the FVD tune on my own C4S myself using the hand programmer. I don't think two tunes can reside in the ECU. I don;t know of any unused memory that you can place a tune in, within the car's own CPU memory, and get access to it. In the end, not really worth it.
Old 04-17-2018, 05:47 PM
bhvrdr
Pro

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts

You would still need to have the cobb tuner or FVD genius connected to the OBD port with the tune you want to get loaded in, even if you have some odd way of automating the very off key on/off sequence. I have done the FVD tune on my own C4S myself using the hand programmer. I don't think two tunes can reside in the ECU. I don;t know of any unused memory that you can place a tune in, within the car's own CPU memory, and get access to it. In the end, not really worth it.

I agree with you 100%. Even if you could automate this somehow which would be absolutely incredibly difficult this is not a process you would want to automate.

If there was a problem along the way when flashing the car such as battery voltage dropping below spec You want to make sure you deviate from the normal flashing routine and do whatever the appropriate actions are based upon anything that dynamically comes up.

If you automate this process you would be ignoring any changes in the normal flash routine that would be necessary and I would be concerned you could end up bricking the ecu

Mike
Old 04-17-2018, 06:21 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Nothing off about it if you know how to program. The ECU has limitless amount of tunes off the assembly line. It changes outputs based on inputs. If you can either constrict the outputs, 'fake' the inputs or change how the ECU responds to normal inputs, you can have the ECU do whatever you want.
The FVD and COBB tunes change how the ECU responds to inputs (oversimplifying things here). You would not be able to change how the ECU responds to the same inputs without reprogramming it telling it how to respond. You can only do that with the engine off. Ergo, no on the fly change in engine mapping programming. So, what you are trying to say is correct but I just wanted to clarify what we're talking about here.

Originally Posted by bhvrdr
I agree with you 100%. Even if you could automate this somehow which would be absolutely incredibly difficult this is not a process you would want to automate.

If there was a problem along the way when flashing the car such as battery voltage dropping below spec You want to make sure you deviate from the normal flashing routine and do whatever the appropriate actions are based upon anything that dynamically comes up.

If you automate this process you would be ignoring any changes in the normal flash routine that would be necessary and I would be concerned you could end up bricking the ecu

Mike
Again yes and no. If you can program, it's not that difficult if time consuming. Any deviation from standard flashing process or errors reported by your FVD or COBB device can be 'flagged' [if-then(-else)] and stop the process. But your concern is legitimate. Bugs are fickle and fixing one sometimes brings up three more. I'm starting to see this will be beyond the time I have to invest.

Lastly, while my curious nature is driving me to figure this out there's also the pragmatic tug telling me that even if we could change engine mapping on the fly do I need to? Yes my Honda can do this but why do I need my Porsche to and is it worth the risk? The only use case I can think of is for an ECO mode to detune the engine for street or 'normal' driving to prolong engine life and save fuel. I'm starting to think it isn't worth bricking the ECU because I forgot to carry the one.

Old 04-17-2018, 09:03 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

I know for sure you can switch tunes on Audi, VW with a remote. Many companies make those... now, I am not so sure if the same applies to Porsche but logically it should (albeit not with Sports button).
Old 04-17-2018, 09:13 PM
bhvrdr
Pro

Originally Posted by alexb76
I know for sure you can switch tunes on Audi, VW with a remote. Many companies make those... now, I am not so sure if the same applies to Porsche but logically it should (albeit not with Sports button).

With a few Audi tuners like GIAC and APR you have the performance file loaded onto the ECU and then you have a "program switcher" whether it be a dongle or simply using the cruise control stalk that swaps "programs."

Keep in mind, though, this is not actually flashing a new program on the car like we do with the myGenius or Accessport. Those devices load completely new files onto the ECU. With Audi program switching, you are enabling a performance set of maps that are already on the ECU. This is available on some Audi vehicles. The newer ones do not allow this because of space limitations on the ECU memory. So they have gone now to full flashing of new programs like with the mygenius flasher or accessport.

Mike
Old 04-17-2018, 09:31 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bhvrdr
With a few Audi tuners like GIAC and APR you have the performance file loaded onto the ECU and then you have a "program switcher" whether it be a dongle or simply using the cruise control stalk that swaps "programs."

Keep in mind, though, this is not actually flashing a new program on the car like we do with the myGenius or Accessport. Those devices load completely new files onto the ECU. With Audi program switching, you are enabling a performance set of maps that are already on the ECU. This is available on some Audi vehicles. The newer ones do not allow this because of space limitations on the ECU memory. So they have gone now to full flashing of new programs like with the mygenius flasher or accessport.

Mike
Thanks for clarification, I haven't been in the tuning business for a while, had an Audi a few years back that I could change tunes with cruise control, the same should be possible for Porsche I assume, so the software is the same but mappings change based on some selection.
Old 04-17-2018, 09:41 PM
DC911S
Drifting

I had a B6 S4 Audi, with APR tune. It was NOT able to use the stalk to switch programs for different octane rating gas (even though they advertise it). I think the Audis with the on the go map switching are the ones with boosted engines.

Nothing off about it if you know how to program.
I wrote assembly code starting with Z80A, 80286, 6502, 68000, and other 8 and 16 bit processors many years ago, so I do know how to code and to do it with limited amounts of memory....you guys with all that memory available have it too easy these days. Now get off my processor.
Old 04-17-2018, 10:13 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

I wrote assembly code starting with Z80A, 80286, 6502, 68000, and other 8 and 16 bit processors many years ago, so I do know how to code and to do it with limited amounts of memory....you guys with all that memory available have it too easy these days. Now get off my processor.
LOL
Old 04-18-2018, 08:46 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,368 Likes on 4,058 Posts

I know nothing about this stuff other than the tune I just purchased from Fabspeed for my Cayenne that's loaded via a MyGenius tool.

But on my wife's 997 with SC, pressing the Sport button changes throttle response, stability control, etc. Is this somehow different than the equivalent of alternating between 2 different tunes that are both stored in the car's ECU - just curious.
Old 04-18-2018, 09:12 AM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

Received 207 Likes on 141 Posts

I had a B6 S4 Audi, with APR tune. It was NOT able to use the stalk to switch programs for different octane rating gas (even though they advertise it). I think the Audis with the on the go map switching are the ones with boosted engines.

My 2012 TTRS was APR stage II+... had the steering wheel stalk tune switching. It worked. But it wasn't like you could do this with the car running. The sequence to change any tune parameters included having the key turned to electronics/accessories "ON" but engine off. If that makes sense.
Old 04-18-2018, 10:32 AM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Petza914
I know nothing about this stuff other than the tune I just purchased from Fabspeed for my Cayenne that's loaded via a MyGenius tool.

But on my wife's 997 with SC, pressing the Sport button changes throttle response, stability control, etc. Is this somehow different than the equivalent of alternating between 2 different tunes that are both stored in the car's ECU - just curious.
yes
Old 04-18-2018, 12:12 PM
bhvrdr
Pro

Originally Posted by Petza914

Its basically the difference between switching between "maps" versus switching between "programs." Each our cars has a file on the main ECU (and other files on other modules but thats not what we're talking about). The main tuning file on our ECU has many many many many "maps" the ECU relies on in order to run the engine. You having fueling maps, timing maps, throttle maps and then you have the many many maps that are relied upon by some of the main fueling and timing maps like your temperature offset maps, your throttle maps, your knock protection maps, your EGT enrichment maps, etc, etc etc.

When you press the "sport" button you are giving a command to the ECU to change to a more aggressive throttle map (the throttle position versus throttle body flap map) so you get more aggressive "response" from the pedal. This is actually the bread and butter map for tuners to adjust on naturally aspirated porsches as well since it is very hard to actually make more power out of tuning these cars, they can just adjust the throttle map to make the car feel much quicker. Win-win.... you sell a program and the customer feels like their car is faster.

Those map switches can be done on the fly. Its not completely dissimilar to how the Audi cars can do "program switching." APR requires a key on/off sequence to swap their maps but GIAC has a little OBD dongle that you plug in and you can file switch on the fly. The key is that you are not writing a new file to the ECU but rather commanding the ECU to utilize a different set of maps or commands.

Theres no reason you couldnt do something like this with the Porsche... file switching on the fly and with even our sport button but just not with what we are currently using technology wise like the myGenius flsher and AccessPort flasher. You'd need to write a file to the ECU that includes programming code for the map switching. This is the type of stuff very very experienced coders could do because you'd need to either borrow, develop, or steal the technology that some of our major tuners have to decrypt the ECU then you'd need to do the same with identifying and translating the code to identify what the actual maps are on our cars and only then you'd have to become an expert tuner and know what you are doing with modifying the maps correctly.

Mike

Last edited by bhvrdr; 04-18-2018 at 01:13 PM.

Quick Reply: Using a Sport Plus switch to access a Cobb tune