Sponsored by:

PASM damper wire

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2018, 03:32 PM
Ken89911T
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default PASM damper wire

I need to replace the wire on a PASM damper. Wondering if anyone knows where I can source a pigtail with the same connector type.
Old 04-15-2018, 03:41 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,646 Likes on 982 Posts

Bummer...... you could try contacting Bilstein directly. I would try to get the name/number of a real sales rep or manager and not a phone jockey.

Personally, my instincts tell me not to repair the wire..... the system runs on such minute changes in electrical signaling that a crimp, solder joint, or cable type may change the shock performance.... but I have an active imagination.........

You may also try calling a speed shop who does real racing.... try TPC.... I use their snap in PASM module.... they understand the signaling.... who knows, they may have some old parts laying around they could send to you. http://www.tpcracing.com/

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 04-15-2018, 08:50 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 349 Likes on 160 Posts

What is damaged exactly? It's just a twin core wire so should be easily repairable if the wire is cut or damaged which is not uncommon with folks swapping springs.
Old 04-15-2018, 09:24 PM
cnr2003
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am in the process of replacing a set of PASM struts with 100k miles on them. I snipped the wire about two inches from the top of the strut. Can mail you those if that's what you are looking for.
Old 04-28-2018, 07:49 PM
Ptech1
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 36 Posts

You can get the factory PASM harness repair kit from Porsche, including several feet of wiring and connector. And surprisingly cheap. Don't have the part # on hand, but can get it Monday. Have repaired several, typically due to rodent damage.....
Old 04-28-2018, 08:24 PM
mcfisticuffs
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I opted to have the whole strut replace. Dealership gave me one at cost plus labour.
Old 04-28-2018, 11:18 PM
Ken89911T
Rennlist Member

Thanks for replies. Update: the Bilstein tech said the systems does run on resistance, so Bruce, your imagination was not entirely off base. He said that the company does not advise splicing as this may interfere with function, but he also said it's worth a try and may work fine if the soldering is done well. The wire has a partial break in it about 2 inches from the damper (these are PSS9s, the wire enters damper at bottom as opposed to the top as on the stock unit).
If Porsche does have repair kit with the male connector, I would certainly give that a try. At present, I've got it working by splinting the wire in the correct position where contact allows current to flow, so no PASM Failure fault, but this can't be a reliable long-term fix.
Old 07-19-2019, 06:20 PM
Squeaky
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Ken89911T
Thanks for replies. Update: the Bilstein tech said the systems does run on resistance, so Bruce, your imagination was not entirely off base. He said that the company does not advise splicing as this may interfere with function, but he also said it's worth a try and may work fine if the soldering is done well. The wire has a partial break in it about 2 inches from the damper (these are PSS9s, the wire enters damper at bottom as opposed to the top as on the stock unit).
If Porsche does have repair kit with the male connector, I would certainly give that a try. At present, I've got it working by splinting the wire in the correct position where contact allows current to flow, so no PASM Failure fault, but this can't be a reliable long-term fix.
Hey did you end up finding a replacement wire/connector for your damper?
Old 07-22-2019, 10:43 PM
Ken89911T
Rennlist Member

No I haven't found a repair kit. Right now, I have the system patched up by connecting the onboard wire to an original stock damper which I keep in the trunk, so the system thinks everything is OK. If I ever get the time, Ill take the damper out and try to splice on a new length of wire from the damper side.
Old 06-28-2020, 02:54 PM
riggzee2
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PASM DAMPER WIRE REPAIR KIT

Originally Posted by Ptech1
You can get the factory PASM harness repair kit from Porsche, including several feet of wiring and connector. And surprisingly cheap. Don't have the part # on hand, but can get it Monday. Have repaired several, typically due to rodent damage.....
Do you know the part number?

Quick Reply: PASM damper wire