Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone else think their local dealer is a joke?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2018, 01:19 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 903 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by doclouie
I love Porsche of North Houston. Their dealership is more like a museum than a dealer. All sorts of cars of all versions inside and out, plus they have a Porsche 111 tractor. Very professional and great to work with. If I did not live 2 hours away I would go there more. Always on time and on budget and I have never been to a dealer that treated me better.
I do as well. Great store and some pretty guys working there.
Old 04-13-2018, 01:24 AM
jayson
Racer

Received 427 Likes on 117 Posts

My local dealer seems to only want to pay attention to you if you are buying a GT3RS or 918. I went in asking to see a pre-owned 997.2 and they just pointed and said 'it's over there' out in the parking lot.
Old 04-13-2018, 01:24 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 903 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by larrysb
It doesn't matter the brand, car dealers are a highly variable bunch. There are a few really great ones. Some good ones, a lot of mediocre ones, a number of bad ones and a few that are outright criminals. Like I said, regardless of brand, from Hyundai to Ford to Chevy to Mercedes and Porsche to Maybach and Rolls.
Right or wrong, if you wanted to be treated well, take you car their for services, be loyal and establish a relationship. This has paid dividends for me at many different Porsche stores throughout the country. They kind tend to resent those who take their cars for services elsewhere and only bring it for warranty to work. I get 20% discounts and have had perhaps $50k plus in good willed parts and labor on various cars over the years. That has more than paid for the few dollars I would have saved going to an Indie for services. I also get treated like family when I walk in various dealerships around the country with whom I have dealt.
Old 04-13-2018, 03:48 AM
dawgcatching
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by larrysb
It doesn't matter the brand, car dealers are a highly variable bunch. There are a few really great ones. Some good ones, a lot of mediocre ones, a number of bad ones and a few that are outright criminals. Like I said, regardless of brand, from Hyundai to Ford to Chevy to Mercedes and Porsche to Maybach and Rolls.
I certainly would NOT recommend Autonation anywhere. Avoid Safro Toyota like the the plague.

OTOH, Jaguar/Mercedes of San Jose is awesome. We purchased a 5-series wagon from them; it had a few issues within a week of arriving, and they reimbursed us for all repairs, no questions asked.

The best dealers are often the non-branded 2nd-hand reputable dealers. They have to hustle to get business: they have to work harder to get cars and customers. My dealings with a couple of these dealers (Dallas Motorsport and Freeman Motor Co.) have always been "the best of the best". Perhaps that is part of it: being the underdog makes one work harder and appreciate customers more. Big guys take customers for granted, and the sales people can be very snobbish toward us peons. It is often the off-brand dealers that are most involved in PCA and enthusiast events, for example.
Old 04-13-2018, 03:53 AM
dawgcatching
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug H
Right or wrong, if you wanted to be treated well, take you car their for services, be loyal and establish a relationship. This has paid dividends for me at many different Porsche stores throughout the country. They kind tend to resent those who take their cars for services elsewhere and only bring it for warranty to work. I get 20% discounts and have had perhaps $50k plus in good willed parts and labor on various cars over the years. That has more than paid for the few dollars I would have saved going to an Indie for services. I also get treated like family when I walk in various dealerships around the country with whom I have dealt.
Unfortunately, the indie shops around here have a better rep than the dealership service department. My friend had a brand new Cayman GTS in Carmine scratched to hell when he brought it in for service. They washed it, during winter, with traction sand covering the car, without properly cleaning their tools. The poor car looked as if it had been waxed with steel wool. Several others have had horror stories of improperly done service. I suppose it just varies. I personally like having one guy that I can talk to about the service and that is responsible if something goes wrong. Then again, with a market monopoly, I really am not surprised.
Old 04-13-2018, 10:32 AM
gabedrummin
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PORSCHE OF NORTH HOUSTON SUCKS..!

I ask that anyone who thinks Porsche of North Houston doesn't SUCK! Do a search of the better business bureau. And see the complaints. They put a hole in my top .Wasn't there when the car was dropped off. $950.00 for a starter that costs 50 bucks to make rip off.....Joke....Will never go back...I'ii scrap the car first ..
Old 04-13-2018, 01:19 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 143 Likes on 112 Posts

Premium brand, Premium expectations.
No matter the brand, when I drop of my car. Photo's of every side, roof and interior, in their drop off area.
With a dashboard millage shot. On pick up, same photo's. Plus lift the hood, check all the caps are on, and no abandoned tools have been left in there.
Next pull the dipstick? if it has one, and check that they put oil in there.
Or check the computer for oil level, and that all the service dates have been reset.
And check to see that the next service suggestion is not 50 miles from now.
Ie - change brake fluid.
Paranoid? No.
Careful from dealership experiences. Yes.

Last edited by BIG smoke; 04-13-2018 at 06:26 PM.
Old 04-13-2018, 03:28 PM
MagnusB
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes, they're awful.
Old 04-13-2018, 04:47 PM
OnlineAlias
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've only been to my local dealer twice....one of those was for a test drive (which was fine) and the other to get some Porsche only bolts for my 951.

I figured its just bolts, right? I could get them faster and even if they over charged me a little I'd be fine. Turns out they would have to order them and couldn't get them any faster, would only sell them to me in batches of 10 (and I needed like 12), and they were overcharging me by triple of what I could get them for on the internet. Total tally: $80 bucks. (vs like $15.)

I never go there ever now.
Old 04-13-2018, 08:42 PM
THEDIGLER
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Gabedrummin when was your vehicle in I am curious I usually know everything that happ

Originally Posted by gabedrummin
I ask that anyone who thinks Porsche of North Houston doesn't SUCK! Do a search of the better business bureau. And see the complaints. They put a hole in my top .Wasn't there when the car was dropped off. $950.00 for a starter that costs 50 bucks to make rip off.....Joke....Will never go back...I'ii scrap the car first ..

Gabedrummin when was your vehicle in I am curious I usually know everything that happens in this store do you have the last of your vin so I can verify what your saying? There must be more to this story as a dealer that treats people the right way I would love to find out the whole story. It is easy to throw rocks on the forum just want to make sure they are getting thrown in the right direction thanks.

Gabedrummin when was your vehicle in I am curious I usually know everything that happens in this store do you have the last of your vin so I can verify what your saying? There must be more to this story as a dealer that treats people the right way I would love to find out the whole story. It is easy to throw rocks on the forum just want to make sure they are getting thrown in the right direction thanks.
Old 04-13-2018, 11:12 PM
Balr14
Burning Brakes

Received 166 Likes on 112 Posts

There are two Porsche dealers here, both sell Porsches along with every other German car. You may find one or two current model 911s at either dealer. Mostly the lots are crowded with SUVs. I would hesitate to call any Porsche dealer a ripoff after several years of paying for Lexus parts. But the Porsche service departments are all but deserted. Nobody ever answers the phone and if you go there, maybe one person will talk to you.
Old 04-13-2018, 11:23 PM
doclouie
Three Wheelin'

Received 188 Likes on 124 Posts

Porsche of North Houston had more 911’s than I think I have ever seen. I bet there were at least 50 of them on the lot. Willie was a fabulous guy to work with there. They of course had SUV’s, but more 911’s by far.

Quick Reply: Anyone else think their local dealer is a joke?