Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone else think their local dealer is a joke?

Old 04-12-2018, 02:23 AM
dawgcatching
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Anyone else think their local dealer is a joke?

So, this is really weird. My local P-car dealer, who never has any decent 911's on the lot, is not interested in selling my 997.2 C2S. They typically take a 7% cut, and this car is a legit 9.9/10. It just came off CPO, has 16,500 miles, all records, up on maintenance, new tires, not a single rock chip or scratch, and is a very desirable build. In the past 2 years, they have had exactly one 997 (a .1 Targa manual ) which sold in 2 days. They also don't have a single 991 on the lot (although they do have around 50 SUV's). They used to do consignments, but now, they have no interest in car that they would pocket a 7% fee on and do little to no work on to sell. Are they really that greedy that 7% on a $62k sale is not enough? Is it going to compete with their Cayenne and Macan sales? I just figured it would be an easy sell for them, as I need to ship the car 3 hours north to the next nearest dealer who can sell a car like this.

Every time I walk in there, I don't feel that this place has anything to offer enthusiasts. Just a bunch of sales guys who won't give you the time of day if you seem to know more than they do (which frankly isn't hard; the knowledge here far exceeds any of the sales guys who have been selling these cars for 10+ years). Is this where Porsche is headed? A bunch of soulless "sales" guys who cater to idiots with money? What happened to people who are in the Porsche business because they live and breathe Porsche? I am talking about one of the oldest Porsche dealers in the country, and we have plenty of great driving roads nearby, and plenty of people with lots of money to spend.
Old 04-12-2018, 03:08 AM
WantA997
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 86 Posts

Yes.
Old 04-12-2018, 05:25 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 903 Likes on 532 Posts

Some places don’t do consignment for a litany of reasons.
Old 04-12-2018, 07:48 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,127 Likes on 3,903 Posts

If it's as nice as you say, just post it here in the classifieds and sell it yourself. You'll make 7% more too.
Old 04-12-2018, 07:58 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Petza914
If it's as nice as you say, just post it here in the classifieds and sell it yourself. You'll make 7% more too.
That's exactly what I was thinking. I put a 997.2 on Gurus and cars.com in the last 45 days I had 3 offers, 2 full price and one only $1k off of full asking price within 2 /1/2 days . .

Perhaps more fun blasting reputable dealers as jokes because they won't do a consignment that can be liability headaches and headaches in general especially if OP wants $62k for silver a C2S? It could also be a function of the person. If dealer doesn't like you (annoyed them in the past), they may think cosigning your vehicle is more trouble than it is worth.

Didn't OP just list a 991 C2 for sale like last month here?

. . . Looked it up:

https://rennlist.com/forums/vehicle-...d-pse-cpo.html

Last edited by Doug H; 04-12-2018 at 08:47 AM.
Old 04-12-2018, 08:36 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

All of this sales from different parts of the country all within a bout a year:

2009 C4 listing from West Coast region (California tags).

https://rennlist.com/forums/vehicle-...one-owner.html

2012 C2 listing from Texas:

2013 C2 listing from Wisconsin tags:

https://rennlist.com/forums/vehicle-...13k-miles.html
Old 04-12-2018, 09:04 AM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 988 Likes on 526 Posts

Some of that is the change in times. Our dealer is really, really great, but walk into the showroom and lot and find only one car (a Cayman) with a manual transmission. PDK rules.

They are simply following the market, but they do give good service, it just costs a lot if it's out of warranty.

Also, your dealer may just be playing it safe with pre-owned sales. That can be a messy business if they get stung with unexpected repairs. Every used vehicle is a gamble and unless the factory provides a warranty.
Old 04-12-2018, 11:49 AM
dawgcatching
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Doug H
All of this sales from different parts of the country all within a bout a year:

2009 C4 listing from West Coast region (California tags).

https://rennlist.com/forums/vehicle-...one-owner.html

2012 C2 listing from Texas:

2013 C2 listing from Wisconsin tags:

https://rennlist.com/forums/vehicle-...13k-miles.html
Hey, I like cars and it is fun to buy, drive for a few months, and then sell them for what I paid; Doug, I know you do the same or have tried in the past, based on when you said you used to flip 997 models but it has become hard. Sometimes I make a few bucks, sometimes lose a few bucks, but it is a fun hobby. If everyone could be so lucky! That silver 991 got a good 3,000 miles of driving, the red C2S 4500 miles, and the C4 4500 miles. That isn't bad.

It wasn't that they are a joke because they don't want to list the car specifically (due to rules) as it is because they don't have any 911 models on the floor, period and have no interest in having any. All of those I ended up taking to a consignment place and getting asking price (except for the Aerokit C2S, which I traded in), which is a few hours away.
Old 04-12-2018, 11:52 AM
dawgcatching
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Marv
Some of that is the change in times. Our dealer is really, really great, but walk into the showroom and lot and find only one car (a Cayman) with a manual transmission. PDK rules.

They are simply following the market, but they do give good service, it just costs a lot if it's out of warranty.

Also, your dealer may just be playing it safe with pre-owned sales. That can be a messy business if they get stung with unexpected repairs. Every used vehicle is a gamble and unless the factory provides a warranty.
Good point: I just wish they would tell me that, instead of "nah, we don't really have interest in any 997 models". To me, that tells me they don't cater to enthusiasts. A place like RAC would love to have this car. But at some point, it became more of a business and less about enthusiasts and Porsche people, which I think dilutes the brand over time until it becomes another BMW.

What makes Porsche "Porsche" in my mind is the emotional attachment, specifically to the 911, and to sportscars in general. Not to SUV models.
Old 04-12-2018, 12:42 PM
ogun228
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Gee, guy, get a dose of reality.
Dealerships are a business venture and so their sole purpose is to make profits. If that entails scamming customers, overcharging them or something else, as
long as they can get away with it, they will do it. Some have a racing section ( Brumo in Fla and P Miller as well as Penske in NJ) but all this is simply a strategy to attract a different
type of customer. Their mainstay is the new rich guy buying a P-car, driving it 2k miles for one year and trading it on a Panamera or SUV. My local dealer in NJ has loads of 991.1 and 991.2
on the used car lot, some turbos, many Caymans and Boxsters, very 3 997's one 996. The rest is all Macans and Cayennes. That is what is selling nowadays and brings in big profits. The future of car
driving is murky at best, so they, dealers, are not interested in anything that is not really profitable and eats off space on the lot.
Old 04-12-2018, 03:48 PM
Ben Z
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Several years ago the local Porsche dealer offered me 17 grand trade-in allowance on my '05 C2 which at the time had under 50K miles on it. Carmax offered me 35 grand. So yeah, the local dealer is a joke.
Old 04-12-2018, 04:11 PM
porscheconvert
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I would agree. Haven't visited a dealer in a few years and just went through a pretty poor sales and service experience with dallas dealer. Sales approach is atrocious and service advisor didn't know anything. Very different experience than 5 years ago when I bought my new 997.2.

Best counter is answer them with your wallet. I have 2 Porsches and will only see dealer for warranty work.
Old 04-12-2018, 04:39 PM
gabedrummin
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Porsche Service Sucks

Took my car in for an intermittent starting issue. Had to replace starter,, $2000.00 dollar bill and they put a hole in my top . Porsche of North Houston sucks...!
Old 04-12-2018, 11:47 PM
doclouie
Three Wheelin'

Received 188 Likes on 124 Posts

I love Porsche of North Houston. Their dealership is more like a museum than a dealer. All sorts of cars of all versions inside and out, plus they have a Porsche 111 tractor. Very professional and great to work with. If I did not live 2 hours away I would go there more. Always on time and on budget and I have never been to a dealer that treated me better.
Old 04-13-2018, 01:13 AM
larrysb
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 39 Posts

It doesn't matter the brand, car dealers are a highly variable bunch. There are a few really great ones. Some good ones, a lot of mediocre ones, a number of bad ones and a few that are outright criminals. Like I said, regardless of brand, from Hyundai to Ford to Chevy to Mercedes and Porsche to Maybach and Rolls.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anyone else think their local dealer is a joke?