Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

977.2 replace rear seal?

Old 04-09-2018, 04:37 PM
shekmark
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 977.2 replace rear seal?

Should I replace my rear seal while my flywheel is off for the clutch replacement? My tech says it's cheap and easy to do now. It's not leaking, but car has 53K miles on it.
Old 04-09-2018, 05:07 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,409 Likes on 854 Posts

IMO, no. I have no read of anyone with a 997.2 with a leaky rear main seal. My 2009 C2S has 124K miles and not a drop on my floor. These are not the same engines as the series of the prior 10 years.

Save your money.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 04-09-2018, 05:32 PM
BHMav8r
Rennlist Member

Received 2,630 Likes on 1,662 Posts

May not be necessary, but I would do it while you are there. Whats it cost? $50 with labor?
Old 04-09-2018, 05:43 PM
shekmark
Pro

He said it's a $30 part and maybe 1/2 hour labor
Old 04-10-2018, 02:09 AM
ttreat
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

It's interesting that they tell you 1/2 of labor. Realistically the tech should be able to do it in 5-10 minutes. It's one of those "since you're in there jobs" that will make you feel better and the tech a few extra bucks.
Old 04-10-2018, 08:02 AM
systech
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

The crankshaft in the 997.2 Direct Injection engine does not use a separate crank carrier yoke so the chances of runout/ eccentricity of the crank end in the rear Main Seal which often caused problems in the 996 and 997.1 engines does NOT occur in the 997.2 engine.

Having said that I changed my RMS when I replaced the clutch on the basis of minimum cost ! So...up tp you!
Old 04-10-2018, 08:19 AM
BoomC2S
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 7 Posts

I agree with Bruce; however, sabotaging the seal would be very easy and you could get a "we told you so" later. I would do it
Old 04-10-2018, 08:50 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 903 Likes on 532 Posts

Stressing over something that costs $50 and is recommended by the guy you chose to work on your car . . .Just because someone on here who may or may not have a lot of Porsche experience has not read about it failing or needing to be replaced on here does not mean it never happens or is not a potential issue. I doubt most people on here would take the time to post about issues with a $30 part. If you are second guessing you tech, get a new tech.
Old 04-10-2018, 09:01 AM
shekmark
Pro

The issue is really more about opening a bag of worms , than the $30 bucks. Especially considering I’m about to right a check for 3K for everything else they are doing. My first time using Bodymotion , so the only trust at this point is based on reading reviews. As you probably know, there are always good and bad reviews with these shops. Can’t make everyone happy. Thanks for all the replies.
Old 04-10-2018, 09:28 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 903 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by shekmark
The issue is really more about opening a bag of worms , than the $30 bucks. Especially considering I’m about to right a check for 3K for everything else they are doing. My first time using Bodymotion , so the only trust at this point is based on reading reviews. As you probably know, there are always good and bad reviews with these shops. Can’t make everyone happy. Thanks for all the replies.

I get it and throughout the years I have tried to save a few dollars here and there by using Indies. Back in the very early 1990s (90, 91 or 92), I used one guy that was supposed to be respected and great with BMW and Porsches. Turned out he had a cocaine problem and liked charging for work he never did.

At the end of the day, I like high performance cars and I have learned to maintain my cars with an open check book and only have people I trust working on my cars which are, gasp, dealers when it comes to mechanical issues. I also do not get cheap when it comes to reasonable repairs or while we are in there recommendations over the years. A lot of guys on here may be dealing with their first Porsche or first high end sports car and have a different mentality. I focus on more on keeping my cars in tip top shape rather than saving a few dollars here or there and rolling the dice.

Over the years, I have saved more money by using dealers as I cannot tell you how many times I have had very expensive stuff covered by goodwill that those using Indies will never get covered. I also usually get 20% discounts which you too could get if you were loyal to your local dealerships and got services there.

Look, I too can work on my cars and have built many 911 races cars myself back in the air cooled days. Just not worth it to me these days and I trust those working on my cars to recognize and address problems before they become serious more expensive problems later.
Old 04-10-2018, 10:07 AM
shekmark
Pro

Interesting thoughts. I am hoping all works well with Bodymotion. I have a good feeling about my rep/tech, Ace. I also would not mind having a relationship with my local dealer. I bought my car from a dealership too far away for service.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 977.2 replace rear seal?