Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

never gets old, the shakes

Old 04-04-2018, 01:45 AM
guppychao
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default never gets old, the shakes

i don’t post much and pretty much lurk a lot on this great/informative forum. I’ve had my 06 cs2 cab for a year now and pretty much kept it stock.
love driving it like ”i stole” it but always get the shakes after a drive her. love that feeling and it never gets old. after reading the thread on “Italian” tune ups i had a question, do you red line it, or even go beyond the red line, a friend of mine told me that the porsche engines can handle going over the red line.
Old 04-04-2018, 10:26 AM
BaileyII
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 91 Posts

I drive an 05 S & I drive mine the same. Yes I always take it to red line & even past red line. I have APR Software on my car so the red line was possibly moved past the factory red line. Porsche told me when I bought the car that it needs/wants to be driven hard.
Old 04-04-2018, 12:23 PM
kcheves
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No offense BaileyII, but its sketchy advice telling people to exceed the redline. The DME stores the number of ignitions that occur at rev ranges above the red line, and this data can affect the resale value of your car.

To the OP: There's plenty of fun to be had at 6500 RPM.
Old 04-04-2018, 02:41 PM
j beede
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BaileyII
I drive an 05 S & I drive mine the same. Yes I always take it to red line & even past red line. I have APR Software on my car so the red line was possibly moved past the factory red line. Porsche told me when I bought the car that it needs/wants to be driven hard.
No rev limiter?
Old 04-04-2018, 02:51 PM
BaileyII
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 91 Posts

Thank you. Yes I do not mean to give bad advice. I did not mean it that way at all.
Old 04-04-2018, 02:59 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 487 Likes on 365 Posts

I am confused...you get the shakes after driving your 997 to redline? you get shakes because you are worried you are hurting the car or because of the adrenalin running through your veins?
My advice is to drive it to just before redline and then shift (but not in first gear, shift earlier in 1st). I don't think you will get better performance above redline btw and can damage your engine, which is why the line is red.
Old 04-05-2018, 12:46 AM
guppychao
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

shakes from the adrenalin! the car is too much fun.
Old 04-05-2018, 03:34 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 142 Likes on 111 Posts

I tend to rev to red line. Going past? Hits the rev limiter and fuel cut off.
The real culprit for over reeving is missing a shift, or downshifting into the wrong gear.
Thus spinning past the suggested max RPM.
When in doubt, please consult "Das Handbuch". Don't listen to me.
Old 04-05-2018, 03:54 PM
jamesinger
Three Wheelin'

Received 735 Likes on 421 Posts

Does anyone have dyno charts of the HP/TQ curve of a stock 997? I think what you'll notice is that Peak numbers hit before redline and that at redline, power is already falling off. I noticed that on all my other cars, I can feel this if I drive my car hard a lot in the canyons, on the freeway, or at the track where I can go through multiple gears at WOT. It becomes noticeable that you aren't getting anything, or the HP/TQ is actually diminishing near, at, or above redline. I have only had my 911 for a couple of months, so I haven't tracked the car yet or pushed it really hard but I don't really feel much worth in revving above 7k on the couple of times I have had the space to run through the gears properly. The redline may be 7300 but I haven't felt any need to rev to 7300 and bounce off the limiter there for more power. I think you can get more from the car shifting a bit earlier and staying within the rev range that gets the most power. I notice it seems like shifting at 7k or before is sufficient to be in the meat of the powerband at upshifts so far.
Old 04-06-2018, 04:49 AM
sleepy
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jamesinger
I think you can get more from the car shifting a bit earlier and staying within the rev range that gets the most power. I notice it seems like shifting at 7k or before is sufficient to be in the meat of the powerband at upshifts so far.
Most gasoline engines have power falling off right before red line, but that's only part of the story. You also need to consider the gearing difference between your current gear and the next gear.

Generally in lower gears, the gap in gear ratio is great enough that the next gear (e.g. 2nd) wouldn't deliver enough effective torque to the wheels compared to the low gear (e.g. 1st), even if the numbers are dropping off in 1st gear at high RPM. When you get to 3rd or 4th gear where the ratio gap isn't so big, then what you said does apply.

On my 997.2 S, shifting at red line in 1st drops right near the peak TQ of 2nd gear; shifting too early will drop outside of powerband. So the best shifting strategy requires looking at both the HP/TQ curve as well as gearing.
Old 04-06-2018, 08:19 AM
tomc_mets
Sir Thomas Lord of All Mets Fans
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

Never gets old. Exactly!
Still always look forward to driving her.
T
Old 04-06-2018, 12:38 PM
Lowcountry
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts

I run up to 7200rpm all the time. I have only hit the rev limiter once, and that was in an overtaking situation on a tight road and I was concentrating on driving and lost track of the tach needle. The car sounds fantastic above 6500rpm.
Old 04-06-2018, 12:57 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,141 Likes on 725 Posts

Originally Posted by Lowcountry
I have only hit the rev limiter once, and that was in an overtaking situation on a tight road and I was concentrating on driving and lost track of the tach needle. The car sounds fantastic above 6500rpm.
Yep, guilty of exactly this, three years ago, one time, following a friend in a pass. I felt the power drop off but failed to pay attention to it. Bounced off the throttle limit twice. The RPMs definitely did not assist in making the pass faster or better!!!

BTW, FWIW, and the point of this response ... this was with a PDK in manual shift mode.
Old 04-06-2018, 01:08 PM
jamesinger
Three Wheelin'

Received 735 Likes on 421 Posts

Originally Posted by sleepy
Most gasoline engines have power falling off right before red line, but that's only part of the story. You also need to consider the gearing difference between your current gear and the next gear.

Generally in lower gears, the gap in gear ratio is great enough that the next gear (e.g. 2nd) wouldn't deliver enough effective torque to the wheels compared to the low gear (e.g. 1st), even if the numbers are dropping off in 1st gear at high RPM. When you get to 3rd or 4th gear where the ratio gap isn't so big, then what you said does apply.

On my 997.2 S, shifting at red line in 1st drops right near the peak TQ of 2nd gear; shifting too early will drop outside of powerband. So the best shifting strategy requires looking at both the HP/TQ curve as well as gearing.
good point!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: never gets old, the shakes