Sponsored by:

Another victim of 997.1 Engine failure — Help me find used/rebuilt engine

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2018, 02:40 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 529 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by Vincent713
Hoovie's 911 is all hacked up, got wires, switches and gauges everywhere. I don't even think his AC works. He totally regret it.
yes, he had to even cut the metal panel (firewall?) behind the rear seat bench... its very very hacked up. i cant recall if it was either the tach or speedometer that didnt work and he had to put an aftermarket one sitting right in front of the oem gauge cluster....
Old 04-01-2018, 02:47 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 529 Likes on 315 Posts

to OP 997.2 engine i don't think has even been done - it would cost wayyyy more then your budget... you would have to swap more then the engine i would assume - much more.

what happened to the car ? did it break down when you were driving? any symptoms?
Old 04-01-2018, 04:27 PM
Vincent713
Three Wheelin'

Received 161 Likes on 116 Posts

There is a 996 in the market on FB that has a 997.1 engine swap and when asked about it, he said it runs perfect and everything works. He's asking a decent price for it. I'll post it if I can find it again.
Old 04-01-2018, 09:42 PM
Ben Z
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I anted up the difference over what my warranty paid and got an RND in mine, plus the IMS solution. (The dual-row aka single row pro would probably have been more than adequate but I admire the Solution's engineering principle so for the difference of a grand I went for it). Given RND's pedigree and all the included upgrades I felt it was the best bang for the buck. The only way I would have put in a used engine would be if I was intending to turn right around and sell the car.
Old 04-01-2018, 09:57 PM
bhvrdr
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Ben Z
I anted up the difference over what my warranty paid and got an RND in mine, plus the IMS solution. (The dual-row aka single row pro would probably have been more than adequate but I admire the Solution's engineering principle so for the difference of a grand I went for it). Given RND's pedigree and all the included upgrades I felt it was the best bang for the buck. The only way I would have put in a used engine would be if I was intending to turn right around and sell the car.
if you dont mind can you give a breakdown of what the RND option cost?

mike
Old 04-07-2018, 12:56 PM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Received 444 Likes on 161 Posts

Any update here on what the issue was? Can't start a thread like this and leave us hanging...
Old 05-02-2018, 12:00 PM
Meursault88
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBruce
Any update here on what the issue was? Can't start a thread like this and leave us hanging...
Agreed and so bumped.

I wouldn't do the Chevy swap - but would consider going EV. As we all will be sooner than we think.
Old 05-02-2018, 01:28 PM
Gilbert Han
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

UPDATE:

It's being rebuilt now. I choose that route because I could not find good used 3.8 engine in the anywhere in the states. Contacted MB motorsport, flat 6 innovation and other numerous engine rebuilders, and ended up shipping the car to LA to rebuild.
Failure turns out that it was rob bolt failure. Not IMS or other issues. Surprisingly, The rebuilder said Porsche's rod bolt is really cheap and easily broken.
Yeah, I know. it is a total disaster.

Currently thinking of whether I would do 4.0 conversion or not. Do you guys have any thought?
Old 05-02-2018, 01:46 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,158 Likes on 3,924 Posts

Originally Posted by Gilbert Han
UPDATE:

It's being rebuilt now. I choose that route because I could not find good used 3.8 engine in the anywhere in the states. Contacted MB motorsport, flat 6 innovation and other numerous engine rebuilders, and ended up shipping the car to LA to rebuild.
Failure turns out that it was rob bolt failure. Not IMS or other issues. Surprisingly, The rebuilder said Porsche's rod bolt is really cheap and easily broken.
Yeah, I know. it is a total disaster.

Currently thinking of whether I would do 4.0 conversion or not. Do you guys have any thought?
Definitely a 4.0 so you get some additional bang for your bucks. Nickies and upgraded tensioner paddles/guides too. Might as well rework the heads at the same time to start really fresh.
Old 05-02-2018, 01:54 PM
Gilbert Han
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Petza914
Definitely a 4.0 so you get some additional bang for your bucks. Nickies and upgraded tensioner paddles/guides too. Might as well rework the heads at the same time to start really fresh.
HP I am gaining by converting to 4.0 is only 5 - 10HP. But I gain mid-range torque and more reliable engine. Do you think it's worth few grand? A concern I have is if it will affect resale value if I sell the car in the future. Will it affect positively or negatively?
Old 05-02-2018, 02:46 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,158 Likes on 3,924 Posts

Originally Posted by Gilbert Han
HP I am gaining by converting to 4.0 is only 5 - 10HP. But I gain mid-range torque and more reliable engine. Do you think it's worth few grand? A concern I have is if it will affect resale value if I sell the car in the future. Will it affect positively or negatively?
If that engine is properly built as a 4.0 with the other upgrades (IMS Solution, Nickies, etc) it should be worth more than a stock motor that still has the potential for the issues, plus you'll have the bump in midrange drivability.
Old 05-02-2018, 04:21 PM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

I'd do the 4.0 liter assuming I could find some dyno sheets (which curiously don't pop up for 4.0 liter engine builds) that was within 100hp of what the Porsche 4.0 liter makes. I don't see paying a few thousand for it to make 350whp which is what I've seen the 4.0 liter builds making or thereabouts. Otherwise I'd have it rebuilt and then sell my car when it came home. I've already done the song and dance of paying $10K+ for an engine build that I then end up having problems with a few thousand miles down the road. No thanks!

Quick Reply: Another victim of 997.1 Engine failure — Help me find used/rebuilt engine