Sponsored by:

Is this a fair price?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2018, 08:41 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 905 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBruce
Not me. Personally I dont like the idea of buying a high mile 997.2 S. You are still paying a lot of money for a car that has ~80k miles and is guaranteed to drop 20% in value when you roll 100k. Tack on another 5% loss when it turns 10yrs old and financing becomes harder. Thats ~$10k lost in 2yrs guaranteed, not including a single maintenance bill. At those miles you will be looking at a clutch in 2yrs, new rotors, new coils and plugs, and possibly new struts.

As far as the 997.1, I think the sweet spot for a 2006+ S is <40k miles at $42-45k. I'd pay a few thousand more for a car in impeccable shape and a warranty but I don't really value "super low" miles on their own. It can introduce its own problems. There are plenty of cars you can find on the market in this range, you just need to expand the search nationwide and add $1k for shipping and flights to get the PPI.

I would have zero hesitations about buying a 997.1 in this range. You will have minimal depreciation over the next 2yrs and your maintenance cost will likely be a fraction of the depreciation on a high mile 997.2.

If you are however determined to get a 997.2 and have a budget under $50, I would consider a 997.2 base model with <40k miles. I think you can get those at $45-50k.

My two cents.
.2s are holding and will hold values better than .1s. I would not purchase a .1 unless it is a special build such as X51 and aero kit or if that is all you can afford and even then not sure I would do it. Twice I have been super tempted to pick up a .1 aero with power kit and super low miles and twice I was talked out of it by guys that work at dealerships or have their own shops whom I have known for years. They essentially tell me "keep looking and hold out for a .2 with aero" and thank them later. 09 through early 12s are low production numbers due to bad economy in 09/10, those in the know what the 9A1 over the M96/M97, the pdk versus tiptronic and the upgraded interior and front bumper cover on non aero cars make the .2 a better and more desirable that will hold value better long term.
Old 03-29-2018, 08:47 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Make sure services are up to date (years wise versus miles wise) and wear items are in good shape. A freshly serviced car with new tires and brakes may be worth $3k to $5k more and car not having everything completely in spec (80% or more) plus super recent service should be heavily discounted.

12k miles cars still need major services after X many years despite the miles.
Old 03-29-2018, 09:02 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Here is a crazy deal on a 2012 with 38k miles, manual for $50k. Always check Sonic stores. Sonic actually has super great prices on used Porsches.

https://www.sonicautomotive.com/used...2be8c112ea.htm

They also have a clean, 28k miles 4S cab in same color for only $46.9k. The car OP posted about is a $ 45k or less car depending upon all wear items and services.

https://www.sonicautomotive.com/used...2d4dfdff7b.htm
Old 03-29-2018, 09:41 AM
dgjks6
Drifting

Received 254 Likes on 162 Posts

I actually have the answer to this question. And the answer is it depends. When buying a car - any car really - you need to decide if

1-you want the best deal
2- you want your dream car

911's are not rare cars (I know there are exceptions). Low mileage 911's pop up frequently. If this is the color/options/model you want a few extra thousand dollars on a $50K car won't matter. If you don't care and just want to not get ripped off an have good resale then make an offer and if they take it great, if not move on.

It sounds like this is not your dream build so offer something less and see what happens.

If you want your dream keep looking and be patient. Even if you are looking for a unicorn, it will eventually pop up.
Old 03-29-2018, 11:01 AM
mfonseca
Instructor

Received 78 Likes on 40 Posts

Thanks to everyone for the feedback. I think dgjks66 hit the nail on head when he said that this doesn't sound like my dream build. As I mentioned in the original post I do prefer a 997.2 for all the new updates. I guess when I saw this clean 997.1 that drove and felt practically new I starting questioning whether or not I would be foolish to pass it up. I am looking for a low mile S car preferably in the 15K - 25K mile range and the condition of the car is obviously very important to me. Everything that I have seen with those miles in a 997.2 have all been at the $60K level and have sold very quickly. When I saw this one for $10K less I was tempted to save some money and still get an amazing car that I am sure that I would be happy with. I will think about it a bit more but I am leaning more and more towards being patient and waiting for a 997.2 that meets my requirements to show up. Thanks again and I can't wait to finally get my first Porsche.
Old 03-29-2018, 11:24 AM
jeebus31
Three Wheelin'

Received 422 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by mfonseca
Thanks to everyone for the feedback. I think dgjks66 hit the nail on head when he said that this doesn't sound like my dream build. As I mentioned in the original post I do prefer a 997.2 for all the new updates. I guess when I saw this clean 997.1 that drove and felt practically new I starting questioning whether or not I would be foolish to pass it up. I am looking for a low mile S car preferably in the 15K - 25K mile range and the condition of the car is obviously very important to me. Everything that I have seen with those miles in a 997.2 have all been at the $60K level and have sold very quickly. When I saw this one for $10K less I was tempted to save some money and still get an amazing car that I am sure that I would be happy with. I will think about it a bit more but I am leaning more and more towards being patient and waiting for a 997.2 that meets my requirements to show up. Thanks again and I can't wait to finally get my first Porsche.
I think if you're going to go the 997.1 route, find out in the high 30s, low 40s - that's the sweet spot for value and performance. Going into the 50s is definitely 997.2 territory as others have said.
Old 03-29-2018, 11:38 AM
HenryPcar
Three Wheelin'

Received 233 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by mfonseca
I am looking for a 997.2 but came across a 997.1 that only has $12K miles and is in really nice shape inside and out. It's a one owner car with a clean carfax and drove and felt great. I would still get a PPI at an independent shop if I decide to make an offer on it. They just installed 4 brand new Michelin PS4 tires, performed an alignment, flushed the brake fluid and installed a new battery. They are asking $50,999 for it. I would still prefer the 997.2 but this car has been the cleanest 997 that I have come across so far. The only thing that I am not crazy about are the wheels but that is something that could be changed down the road. What are your thoughts/suggestions?

2008 Carerra S
6 spd Manual
Self Dimming Mirrors
Heated Front Seats
19" Sport Design Wheel
Wheel Caps with Colored Crest
Sport Chrono Package Plus
Navigation Module for PCM
Bose High End Sound Package
Remote CD Changer (6 Disc)
Floor Mats in Interior Color
9Q
Meteor Grey Metallic
AN
Black Standard Leather
P15
Power Seat Package
XSC
Porsche Crest in Headrest
All positives, but the price is in a 997.2 territory. If they had paperwork that the car retrofitted the IMS issue, then it would be different.
Old 03-29-2018, 12:00 PM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Received 467 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug H
Here is a crazy deal on a 2012 with 38k miles, manual for $50k. Always check Sonic stores. Sonic actually has super great prices on used Porsches.

https://www.sonicautomotive.com/used...2be8c112ea.htm

They also have a clean, 28k miles 4S cab in same color for only $46.9k. The car OP posted about is a $ 45k or less car depending upon all wear items and services.

https://www.sonicautomotive.com/used...2d4dfdff7b.htm
Wow. 991s are down to $50. Thats crazy.
Old 03-29-2018, 12:08 PM
dgjks6
Drifting

Received 254 Likes on 162 Posts

Off topic and discussed at length before but I'm interested to see 991 vs 997 prices in the next couple years. The 997 is by no means collectible like 993 - too many made, but it seems many people are choosing a 997 over a 991 when they can afford both. Usually people buy the cheaper one and claim they like it better, but I don't think that's the case with the these.
Old 03-31-2018, 03:05 AM
Vincent713
Three Wheelin'

Received 169 Likes on 122 Posts

I don't know why Porsche decided to make the 991 basically non serviceable to owners. This to me seems like a money pit in having to take your car to a dealer every time for a repair.
Old 03-31-2018, 04:30 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,060 Likes on 744 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBruce
Wow. 991s are down to $50. Thats crazy.
No surprise to me. I'm on record here for some time referring to the 991 as the modern version of the 996. Just a basket full of non appeal on various levels. Which is why I just paid $5K for a Fidelity ext. warranty for my 997 GTS.
Old 03-31-2018, 08:23 AM
BoomC2S
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 7 Posts

Suggest you watch this video. Some things to be said for a higher mileage 997.1.
Old 03-31-2018, 08:53 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by sandwedge
No surprise to me. I'm on record here for some time referring to the 991 as the modern version of the 996. Just a basket full of non appeal on various levels. Which is why I just paid $5K for a Fidelity ext. warranty for my 997 GTS.
We shall see. Porsche sales of the 991 has been about triple that of the 997.2 so there are certainly a whole lot more 991s in the market place. I think the 991 is great car. This $50k car is a stripper with manual. Not sure it has any real options to speak of, but it looked decent in person. The dealership stole it on trade and Sonic stores tend to have the best deals on 911s.
Old 04-01-2018, 02:03 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,060 Likes on 744 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug H
We shall see. Porsche sales of the 991 has been about triple that of the 997.2 so there are certainly a whole lot more 991s in the market place. I think the 991 is great car. This $50k car is a stripper with manual. Not sure it has any real options to speak of, but it looked decent in person. The dealership stole it on trade and Sonic stores tend to have the best deals on 911s.
No doubt the 991 is selling well compared to the 997.2 but for what reason? First one has to be the economy. The production years of the 997.2 pretty much equal the years of the great recession. I'm guessing another reason is that the 991 has taken another step towards luxury GT so it may have drawn in some buyers that previously would have gone for the Panamera. Not everyone who previously bought the Panamera did so because they needed a true 4-seater. They just wanted more comfort features and more space. Never mind that the cabin space in the 991 is only marginally bigger than the 997 but it sure feels bigger than just marginally so. All that said, I'm warming up to the 991 GT3 (slowly) but want to see what the 992 will be all about first.
Old 04-01-2018, 09:07 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by sandwedge
No doubt the 991 is selling well compared to the 997.2 but for what reason? First one has to be the economy. The production years of the 997.2 pretty much equal the years of the great recession. I'm guessing another reason is that the 991 has taken another step towards luxury GT so it may have drawn in some buyers that previously would have gone for the Panamera. Not everyone who previously bought the Panamera did so because they needed a true 4-seater. They just wanted more comfort features and more space. Never mind that the cabin space in the 991 is only marginally bigger than the 997 but it sure feels bigger than just marginally so. All that said, I'm warming up to the 991 GT3 (slowly) but want to see what the 992 will be all about first.
991 made important, but subtle changes to make it a better handling more potent track machine including a 4 inch increase in wheelbase, 2 inch widening in the front track and still managed to reduce the weight. The 991 is only 2 inch longer, but has a lower roof line and the base was moved forward about 3 inches for better weight distribution. Porsche had wanted (perhaps needed) to do the chassis improvements to the 997 but could not due to inherent design of 997 so Porsche dialed out understeer by setting suspension geometry in a less than ideal setting.in the 997.

The GT stuff is silly. Every iteration of Porsche, Ferrari, Lambo and etc. are more comfy and have better technology, but it is always the holdouts with the prior models cars throwing out the GT stuff who eventually end up getting the new models only to declare the newer models the best ever when the next models come out.

The 991 is lighter, wider, lower, better CG and better handling on track. Simply making a sports car more comfy while at the same time making it a more potent and better handling track car is NOT a negative or really does not covert it to GT except in the minds silly journalists looking for relevance or something to say and those with older cars needing to convince themselves the older is better.

What it comes down to is it worth it to pay more for a 991 over a 997.2 where the gap for comparable cars may still be quiet wide (good C4S and S models are pricey). Paying $20k + more for a 991 S, C4S or GTS may not make sense the way most people drive these things as most drive their 911s like GTs and do not have the car control skills to get anywhere near the limits . . ., but if you are capable of driving a 911 at its limits and explore its limits somewhat frequently . . . paying more for a 991 may be worth it.

FYI: Those of us that had 996s, 993s, 964s and 3.2s all said the same things about 964s, 993s, 996s and 997s until we broke down and purchased the newer vehicles and once again feel in love with our favorite cars.

Quick Reply: Is this a fair price?